• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Got a couple coats of primer on the smaller parts. Didnt take any pics today as there was really nothing to see except some ugly brown primer :D

My least favorite thing about painting is cleaning the paint gun when your finished.... Just bought another $30 worth of paint thinner today :wallbanging:

#32 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:30 PM

Looks great Doc, thanks for allowing us to follow along. Did you go with Napa paint or Rustolium? The decals really turned out nice.

#33 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Looks great Doc, thanks for allowing us to follow along. Did you go with Napa paint or Rustolium? The decals really turned out nice.

The paint I have been using is called " X-o Rust" which I think is made by rustoleum.The quart comes in clear and once they scan the part they mix it up for you.

#34 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:26 PM

The paint I have been using is called " X-o Rust" which I think is made by rustoleum.The quart comes in clear and once they scan the part they mix it up for you.

Are you getting the x-0 rust through Napa? And how is it comparing to the SHERWIN wILLIAMS AUTO PAINT?

#35 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 05:42 AM

Are you getting the x-0 rust through Napa? And how is it comparing to the SHERWIN wILLIAMS AUTO PAINT?

No, Its sold at true value hardware stores.
I think this paint is better if you want to get the closest match to original as possible. Its also easier to work with as you dont need to add any hardener to it.
  • speedyg said thank you

#36 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 11:00 AM

hi everyone.. sorry i havent made any new post in sometime. i been so busy with the farm i havent had time to be on the web. i see some members got some new cool toys. so brian, when did you get the greenbrier? how much and was it in working order> i know there rare an a neat little tractor. i never seen a restored one before. cant wait for the updates. i havent added anything to my colection lately but i hope to get some new attachment soon. i still have to get out to ohio to pick up the stuff i bought out there. im hopeing to get out there next month. good luck with the resto on the greenbrier doc. you always do a fantastic job. thanks, sam

#37 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 11:08 AM

hi everyone.. sorry i havent made any new post in sometime. i been so busy with the farm i havent had time to be on the web. i see some members got some new cool toys. so brian, when did you get the greenbrier? how much and was it in working order> i know there rare an a neat little tractor. i never seen a restored one before. cant wait for the updates. i havent added anything to my colection lately but i hope to get some new attachment soon. i still have to get out to ohio to pick up the stuff i bought out there. im hopeing to get out there next month. good luck with the resto on the greenbrier doc. you always do a fantastic job. thanks, sam

Good to hear from you Sam!
I picked this up a few months ago for $40
Here's a pic of what it looked like when I dragged it home. Surprisingly the clinton engine fired right up and runs great! I drove it around a few times before I took it apart to make sure the transmission and gears were ok.

Today I'm doing body work on it so I probably will post a few update pictures tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• GreenBrier 002.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#38 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 11:11 AM

wow 40.00 you cant beat that. when that thing is shined up it will be worth a pretty penny to a collector that wants one really bad

#39 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Here's a couple update pictures from yesterday's Body work
I got the right side finished now I just have to finish the left side

green brier body work 001.JPG green brier body work 004.JPG

Need to sand down

green brier body work 003.JPG green brier body work 002.JPG

Finished side
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#40 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Holy Bondo, Batman! That must have been a lot of sanding you had to do to get it down smooth! Did you put it on with a plastic spreader or anything? Just looked pretty glopped on there in the first two photos is all. Looks like it is coming along well though. Can't wait to see the finished product! I know it's going to be amazing!

Can't believe you found it (running no less!) for $40. That's a steal I think. I have no clue what they go for restored, but this is the first one I have ever seen at all. I imagine there aren't too many left around these days. Good luck on continuing the resto!

#41 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:33 AM

After about 10 hours of sanding here are the results, Thank god for the orbital Sander :D
It turned out better than I expected!
After the primer was applied I noticed a couple spots I'll have to touch up.

Attached Thumbnails

• primer 001.JPG
  • primer 002.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#42 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Holy Bondo, Batman! That must have been a lot of sanding you had to do to get it down smooth! Did you put it on with a plastic spreader or anything? Just looked pretty glopped on there in the first two photos is all. Looks like it is coming along well though. Can't wait to see the finished product! I know it's going to be amazing!

Can't believe you found it (running no less!) for $40. That's a steal I think. I have no clue what they go for restored, but this is the first one I have ever seen at all. I imagine there aren't too many left around these days. Good luck on continuing the resto!

It was alot of work but it was well worth it.
I used some plastic spreaders to apply the filler, The key is to put on more than you need over the area, so that way all the low spots will be filled in and you will get a smooth even finish. You also have to move along quickly as the stuff hardens in about 2 minutes after it is blended up.
I started with 80 grit and worked my way up to 220 grit.

This is the first one I have seen in about 10 solid years of collecting, so I doubt there are many still left out there.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#43 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:19 AM

good morning Doc , looks like you're getting things in order good job ,.patient man, have a blessed day inChrist

Edited by goodnews, July 11, 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#44 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Looking good Brian, you did a great job with that bondo. Keep us posted. Went by sonnys today and seen absolutley no changes in the property. Doors to the buildings still open,ect.

#45 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Went by sonnys today and seen absolutley no changes in the property. Doors to the buildings still open,ect.

I wonder what that means? Is he still operating then? You should stop by his shop and talk him up if he's still around because no one can seem to get a hold of him online or via phone... Or at least see if you can buy out all his NOS Bolens parts!!! :thumbs: