36 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just picked up this garden tractor. I'm certain it was made by MTD.

For locating parts, is there an identical MTD model?
A few issues to resolve: clutch won't release, stuck float in carb, seat is worse than it looks, paint.

Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Jazz said thank you

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 10:54 AM

I believe that is a model 990. They were sold under alot of different name brands but they all are still 990s'. Great tractors, about the only thing MTD ever put out thats wasnt stamped sheet metal.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 12:02 PM

If it has a standard trans it is likely a 960. It looks like it has a gear shift lever. I think there is a 960 manual in the manuals section. The 960 has a clutch and an angle drive to drive the transmission if memory serves. Nice sturdy GT.
  • motobreeder said thank you

#4 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's a manual 4-spd.

The drive goes to a gear-box that appears to be identical to the RH gear box on a mower deck.

i need help with the clutch. When you press the pedal, the drive line doesn't disengage.
It looks like the clutch disks are stuck to the driven plate. Any suggestions on how to free it up?

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Very interesting find there! I have never seen one of those before!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:29 AM

It's a manual 4-spd.

The drive goes to a gear-box that appears to be identical to the RH gear box on a mower deck.

i need help with the clutch. When you press the pedal, the drive line doesn't disengage.
It looks like the clutch disks are stuck to the driven plate. Any suggestions on how to free it up?

Not sure of your clutch setup. You may be able to lock the clutch/brake pedal down and use a 'thin' putty knife to get between the disc and driven plate to loosen it. The clutch on my Cub sticks sometimes due to moisture/rust and non use. I try to remember to lock the brake, keeping the parts open instead of squeezed together when sitting for some time.

#7 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes it's a 960, beings that it is a 16hp, 860 for 14hp, 760 for 12hp and so on. The angle gear box is a peerless like the one used on the mower decks, but it is of oposite rotation. The clutch disc are the same as a cub but you have to drill them for the four pins, if yours is not broken out and just beat out, you can turn them 90 degrees and re drill them. There no longer available from mtd

#8 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Although the brake lock lever is broken, the brake and clutch are two different pedals.
I might use a clamp to hold the clutch open when not in use.

I was told it had sat outside for 3 years. A bit of rust may be expected.

Once I'm done re-building my front steps on my house, I can start working on the tractor.
(front steps are 6 platforms - about 20" deep and 6' wide)

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:48 PM

You have found a great GT there, you should also have 12" rear tires on it, the 990's came with 15" rears and flat rear fenders.. Good Luck and there are service and part manuals for this one in our manual section.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Be very careful with your dash panel and don't let the hood slam shut, it is fragile plastic and most are broken in several places. Yours looks to be complete, very nice find..

#11 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 03:42 AM

Motobreeder, you have a great tractor to start from. It has the donaldson muffler and it looks like your dash is nice ( they were known for breaking out )
Is that silver paint underneath the red?, If it is silver and you can see it has the clear steering cap, i think you'll find that it is a 72 or 73, you can check the code on the briggs right under the carb on the blower shield.
Do you now anything about the viking name ?

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Really nice find, these sound like machines that were built for the long term.

With some of our big tractors, the clutches have stuck. We do what we can thru the opening with a putty knife (making sure the mechanism is free first) and then chain it to a tree. We do this backwards, if possible, so the whole process is safer. The last couple, we only had to lock the clutch peddle and use the starter with the coil wire off, tightened the chain and after a few more rotations, it started to slip. Then we usually start it, still chained and with a hand on the kill switch. Only once have we had one grab again and we were glad it was tethered. There was an unseeable broken part in the clutch plate and it was binding, even tho we had gotten the plates free. Had been that way for a long time, as you could see the wear marks once opened up.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and motobreeder have said thanks

#13 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm having odd visions of the tree moving across the lawn.

Do the friction materials stick to the plate or are the disks just stuck on the shaft?
I might just disassemble the entire mechanism so I can clean up the shaft. Or is that asking for trouble?

The only thing I know about the Viking name is it was Eaton's house-brand.

I think the dash is in good shape but it's loose. Maybe that's why it hasn't broken. I'll have to take another look.

The paint under the red colour is a light blue. The date code on the motor is November 1972. I guess that makes this a 1973 model.

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Got some time this evening to work on the Viking.

I tried starting it a while back, but there was no spark.

Pulled the points cover off, removed the wires from the points and using an ohm meter, there was no continuity. Tried cleaning with paper but no improvement. Used some sand paper and solved the problem. Fixed a problem with the points cover shorting out the coil wire.

Still need to figure out the clutch. I can't get it to release.

Also, the right-angle gear box is quite loud. The shafts feel tight, but I'd like to make sure it's properly lubed. Not sure what this is going to entail.
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'm having odd visions of the tree moving across the lawn.

If that happens, find a bigger tree :)

Do the friction materials stick to the plate or are the disks just stuck on the shaft?

The discs can (rust/corrode/stick) to the plates. It has happened to us with the old type clutch materials more than the newer ones. Not sure if we ever had anything post '50 do it, maybe... can't recall. Only once did we have enough corrosion on the pilot bearing that it basically "welded" the shaft to the engine. I hope that's not your issue. It was a bugger to get apart. Lots of good penetrating oil and steady pressure over weeks (wood shims). We could see up in part way thru the cover plate too.

Make sure everything is moving as it should