• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Last Saturday I went for my daily walk around the ponds and found this turtle in the neighbors yard. From the front of the shell to the back of the shell it was exactly one foot.
Posted Image

Today I was fishing over at the neighbors pond and I went to walk onto the bridge, took one step then froze. I saw this one and thought "Wow, big turtle!" It measured just under 18 inches from the front of the shell to the back of the shell.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • MH81, tinner and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#2 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 08:04 PM

That's a biggun for sure. Wouldn't want to get a finger in his way.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 09:45 PM

He's a mean looking bugger! I think he was looking up at your fingers and thinking "Lunch"! How much do you figure he weighed?

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 12:12 AM

Anybody for turtle stew? Those are some large specimens, for sure!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:41 AM

Thats the biggest snapper I've seen Ryan. They don't usually get that big up here. The first one is about what we see here. That looks like a nice fishing spot at that pond. They can travel a long way from water at times. Some friends had one that got stuck in the ditch in front of their house. It was a good 200 yards from the water and up hill.

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 06:55 AM

We have those things pass through the yard from time to time. They never seem very happy to have us investigating them. One time we had a big one on the road in front of the house. Told the kids to take a shovel and go out there and push it into the road ditch before it got hit by a car. Every time they got close to it with the shovel it would snap at them and they would get scared and run. The kids probably ranged in age from 7 to 11 years of age and were terrified to that turtle. When I finally quit laughing and could talk again I told them it couldn't get them when they were using the shovel. One of those things that I will never forget.

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Ryan if you add a saddle you could save $$ on gas! Another great addition to your wildlife series thanks for sharing! :thumbs: That last pic is so awesome..You might be creating a niche job market in your area for removal of scary critters, think on it...

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 07:44 AM

So..... with him around do you actually have any fish to catch? :laughingteeth:

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 07:55 AM

That's a big Momma.

You guys are about 2 weeks behind us in the turtle calendar, it seems. Pretty much a fact of life here that you'll have to swerve around one at least once a day during egg laying season.

#10 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Ryan, that sure is a big one. That one looks like he could do some damage on you. Great pictures. Thanks.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!

He's a mean looking bugger! I think he was looking up at your fingers and thinking "Lunch"! How much do you figure he weighed?

It was between 45 and 55 pounds by my guess. I am not very good at guessing weight when I am holding something so I just went out and held two 25 pound weights and that felt about the same. Lol!

Anybody for turtle stew? Those are some large specimens, for sure!

Have you ever had turtle stew? I have not, but I want to try it. But, I am not going to kill the next turtle I find to try it either.

Thats the biggest snapper I've seen Ryan. They don't usually get that big up here. The first one is about what we see here. That looks like a nice fishing spot at that pond. They can travel a long way from water at times. Some friends had one that got stuck in the ditch in front of their house. It was a good 200 yards from the water and up hill.

I have a very large hill at my house. I don't know if you saw my video I put in the pedal tractor thread but sometimes you find turtles on that hill laying eggs. They lay them on hills so when the little ones hatch they go down hill to water.

We have those things pass through the yard from time to time. They never seem very happy to have us investigating them. One time we had a big one on the road in front of the house. Told the kids to take a shovel and go out there and push it into the road ditch before it got hit by a car. Every time they got close to it with the shovel it would snap at them and they would get scared and run. The kids probably ranged in age from 7 to 11 years of age and were terrified to that turtle. When I finally quit laughing and could talk again I told them it couldn't get them when they were using the shovel. One of those things that I will never forget.

for the last few weeks I have been finding turtle pieces in the road between the front of my house and then another 500 feet or so down the road. If I see then alive I help them across. Just remember that if you do help it, bring it to the side it's facing or it will turn around and try to cross the road again.

Ryan if you add a saddle you could save $$ on gas! Another great addition to your wildlife series thanks for sharing! :thumbs: That last pic is so awesome..You might be creating a niche job market in your area for removal of scary critters, think on it...

I had not thought of that! I might be able to make a summer job of such a thing!

So..... with him around do you actually have any fish to catch? :laughingteeth:

Not really. There are barely any bass left in the ponds. Tons of pickerel though, so many they get annoying after a while, much like sunnys. Somebody must have dumped some carp in the water upstream because about once a week I see some gold carp swimming around. I kinda wish there were more carp in there to keep the weeds down.
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Snapper stew, sounds tasty. Years back I helped butcher one to make stew, not the easiest animal to do. I think I will stay with the beef.

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Snapper stew, sounds tasty.

What you want to bet that it tastes like chicken :smilewink:

#14 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 05:10 PM

when i was a little kid my dad and granpa would go and get snappers and clean them. then they would take the meat into the kitchen and granma would start cookin. she would make turtle soup and fried turtle along with smashed taters, green beans gravy and a salad. oh how i miss those days.

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 06:21 PM

when i was a little kid my dad and granpa would go and get snappers and clean them. then they would take the meat into the kitchen and granma would start cookin. she would make turtle soup and fried turtle along with smashed taters, green beans gravy and a salad. oh how i miss those days.

With the way things are going in the Country, those days may return. :unsure: