Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snowblower Engines- Can They Be Used On Gt's?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hi guys

I have an MF8 I am rebuilding and I took a close look at the engine the other night and the cylinder is in pretty bad shape. It's a HM 80 and there are a lot of flat head Tec. 8 and 10 hp engines around. If you add an air filter to those engines can they be used as a replacement engine? Are there any other differences to be dealt with?

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,244 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't see why not if the specs are the same. Some snowblower engines actually have two crankshafts so they might not all work.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Internally, there was no difference between a snowblower engine and a standard B&S or Tecumseh engine of the same model series.

As you mentioned, lack of an aircleaner is the primary difference, but sometimes there was additional sheetmetal configured to direct some heated air to the carb intake. ....Some models also added a primer button of some style, and had a 110volt starter instead of 12 volt.

A short-block for any HM80 could be used, provided the crankshaft length & diameter is the same.

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:59 AM

I don't see why not if the specs are the same. Some snowblower engines actually have two crankshafts so they might not all work.

I'm not picking on you, Ryan, but your terminology is incorrect. .....While there may be two shafts coming out of the back of an engine, there is only one crankshaft in any gasoline or diesel engine.

The other shaft which you may have seen coming out the back is actually an extension of the camshaft on B&S or Tecumseh engines, and turns at one-half the speed of the crankshaft.

B&S and Tecumseh also made engines with a PTO shaft which came out the side of the engines.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm not picking on you, Ryan, but your terminology is incorrect. .....While there may be two shafts coming out of the back of an engine, there is only one crankshaft in any gasoline or diesel engine.

The other shaft which you may have seen coming out the back is actually an extension of the camshaft on B&S or Tecumseh engines, and turns at one-half the speed of the crankshaft.

B&S and Tecumseh also made engines with a PTO shaft which came out the side of the engines.

Funny this would come up. I just picked up a Troy Bilt Junior with a 3.5HP Tec. with the camshaft used for the reverse drive. It also turns in the opposite direction which gives a 1/2 speed reverse gear for the tiller.

So it sounds like I could use a HM80 or 100 based SB engine to replace the engine in my MF8. I could replace the tin and air cleaner assembly. The other snag is the alternator coil/flywheel. The mf 8 engine has a large coil that mounts under the flywheel. This may not be compatible with the ignition system/flywheel on a newer engine.

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Brian,
Most of the Tecumseh engines I have seen already have the bosses to mount the stator even if not equipped with one and the flywheels will usually be "mountable" too.

Bill

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thanks Bill. I'm now looking for 2 engines a K321 and an HM80/100. I'm not having much luck with my GT projects lately.

#8 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,411 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:15 PM

I am sure you will find what you need Brian. Be patient and what you need will show up.

Geno