• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 salt OFFLINE  

salt
  • Member No: 10099
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:00 PM

hi guys i just joined here and hope you can help me out. ok i just got a lawn keeper from my father inlaw model no. dont know. my problem is that it doesnt move, 4 of the gears in the gear box have broken teeth. does anyone know where to purchase these would love to get it running again, everything else seems ok except the deck is rusted out in a few places. ive looked all over for the gears, no luck found one no. 1716104. need no. 1716103, 1716105 and the 2 vevel gears no. 1716087. hope you can point me in the right direction. thanks.

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:20 PM

:welcome: I can say that the Pros are on their way, and they'll probably be lookin' for pics of the patient. Thanks for signing in and good luck with your new LK. Did any attachments come with it?

#3 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hi salt, Welcome to the group ! This willbe one that Doc can help you with in the morning. You might contact some of our sponsors, they are listed at the top of the home page. A few of them carry alot of bolens parts. Good luck !!!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 04:37 AM

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck in your quest for parts! The guru's will be along.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Welcome salt to GTtalk I can't help you at all but as Newpaws said there are people here that really know Bolens like the back of their hand , Al

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Welcome to GTT!

If you have a picture of the LK that would help identify the possible model and year.
If you need 4 gears you may be better off looking for a good used gear box off another LK as you will pay an arm and a leg to buy those gears separately.

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Salt.
Looks like Doc is on your gear box.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:52 AM

Welcome salt to GTTalk. I'm not a Bolens expert but I think Doc is right, find a used gearbox and if need be make 1 good one out of the two.

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 01:17 PM

All of the Lawn Keepers (models 910, 911, 914, & 915) used the same transmission.

I can not remember if Bolens actually made their own LK transmission, or if it was sourced from an outside supplier.

Foote and Peerless (a division of Tecumseh) were two major suppliers of gearboxes/transmissions for the industry at that time.

The Bolens gearbox has some parts similar in appearance to some parts that were used in Foote or Peerless transmissions, so it may be that your transmission was manufactured by one of them.

If you can get to a long-time equipment dealer, they may recognize it. ....You may be able to find that same gearbox, or one using the same internal gears, on a different brand of equipment. .....If there is an equipment "junkyard" near you, you may get lucky and find what you need.

#10 salt OFFLINE  

salt
  • Member No: 10099
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 07:40 PM

thanks for the advice guys, ill try to look for another gear box or even a whole mower, ill try to post a pic.