• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 weewilly OFFLINE  

weewilly

• Member No: 8439
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have a new 900 series cub cadet with the reverse position and light and it is driving me nuts. When the electric PTO is engaged if i hit a bump (many on my property) my tail lifts off the seat and momentarily the motor cuts out the electric PTO stops then as my a** hits the seat it engages the ignition and away we go OOPS the PTO isn’t working turn it off /on back up 7- 10 feet to cut the missed section and on to the next bump. I thought this would be a easy fix; made a couple of wire jumpers NOPE, bought a new switch hooked the cable to it taped the button down NOPE, works for a short while then kills the PTO. Obviously I am missing something. I guess I could slow down but with 5 acres to mow I need as much speed as possible; any insight as to a cure/workaround would be appreciated. I really don’t want to cut up the harness while it is under warranty.
Thanks for looking
WW

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:20 PM

If I remember right, the sensor on the bottom of the seat is a three wire plug in. These seat sensors I have found can't be hot wired. If the wires going under the seat have two wires thrn thing can be hot wired.

On my Craftsman DYT 4000 the only thing that I had to do is just unplug it.

But there are some mowers that you have to make a jumper wire to complete the circuit.

This will on;y work on a two wire sensor.

#3 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:21 PM

As for the roughness of your lawn I would say to get a roller and pack the lawn flat some time.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 04:00 AM

Can you adjust the position of the switch to make it less sensitive. In some tractors there is a time delay on the switch which prevents this sort of thing from happening. It can be an electronic delay or simply the delay time it takes the seat padding to react to the weight being removed from the switch. By moving the switch inside the seat bottom you may be able to make it less sensitive.

#5 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 07:31 AM

What I have seen is that people have done is taken out the sensor out of the seat, and then wraped tape around it so the plunger is always in the down position.

The sensor never then senses that any movement ever happens.

The trouble that I had with my DTY 4000 Craftsman was that the foam padding in the seat hardened enough that the sensor was not getting pushed, or if it was not far enough to fully keep things going. What I did was I unpluged the wire and found out that the wire going to the seat when acuated by the sensor broke the wire circuit, but when pushed completed the circuit. So if unpluged the circuit is in operating mode all the time. I can get off of the seat and don't have to set the brake to keep the motor running.

But it can only be done with the two wire sensors. A three wire sensor reverses current flow to a different wire when acuated.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,330 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:27 PM

I just had a newer Husqvarna here for that exact thing.The owner wanted me to bypass the seat safty switch.

Being a 3 wire switch also I could only see one way to do it.

I took a good Zip tie and zipped the button down.Works great and it doesn't void the factory warranty.