Cleaning Carburators

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:22 AM

i know well how to clean a carburator for functionality purposes. soaking it in a dip solution, blowing it out with compressed air, ect. i know how to make them work, rebuilding them is easy. question i have is how do i remove the tarnish on the outside of the body. i have access to some carburetors that i would like to clean up for resale. what is the best method of making to make look like new again to get the best dollar on resale?

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,050 Thanks
  • 2,092 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Blasting with baking soda (soda-blasting) will be the fastest and easiest method. ....It will not do any damage, and any residue can be washed away with water.

Harbor Freight sells some small inexpensive soda blasters.
  • Bolens 1000, tractorman604, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Soda! thanks for that tip. They are a misery to clean up with all the irregular shapes and grooves to trap dirt.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Looks like I'm a day late on this? But I found a non toxic cleaner that worked remarkably well when I was rebuilding a motorcycle.
Soaking the carburator in pinesol /Water solution for a day or so removes the tarnish(may need a bit of brushing with an old tooth brush) and cleans internals very well. I found I only needed to use a wire to clean calcium/lime deposits from the jets. How the fuel gets calcium/lime to plug jets in it is beyond me?
Soda Blasting is also a good choice as Bruce mentioned. . If you do a google search there are instructions for making a homemade blaster on the net.
In fact here is a link I'm also going to post it in the mechaics section in case someone misses this post.. http://www.aircooled...p/soda_blaster/

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 08, 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#5 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 12:08 PM

That is not calcium and lime, that is oxidation.
We are seeing more and more of this as ethanol amounts increase n gasoline.
Once again, it is more important than ever to keep your small engine fuels treated with a product such as Sta-Bil ;)

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Try using Bug and Tar remover on your Carbs. Mine cleaned up rather well. After you spray the Bug and Tar remover on the carb, clean the carb with Dawn dishwashing liquid, to help remove any greasy residue left behind.