Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Finally Found A Generator To Put On The Bolens!

bolens

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:32 AM

I managed to work out a deal with a guy for this generator attachment and some NOS Wisconsin parts!!! :dancingbanana:

The Generator is a pincor and I believe it currently has a John Deere mounting system on it. The plan is to fabricate a mounting plate so it sits on the front and I can run it directly off the PTO just like the original Bolens mounting system. To test it out I ran it off my PTO kit :D

I also got these Wisconsin parts for a steal!

Attached Thumbnails

• green brier I 011.JPG
  • green brier I 012.JPG
  • green brier I 013.JPG
  • green brier I 014.JPG
  • nos wisconsin parts 001.JPG
  • nos wisconsin parts 002.JPG
  • nos wisconsin parts 003.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Congrats, Brian, but you didn't tell me you were looking for just any generator head. :( .....I thought you wanted an original attachment.

One advantage to having the generator belt driven, is that you can play with pulley sizes, so the tractor's engine does not have to run at full speed to get adequate generator output.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Congrats, Brian, but you didn't tell me you were looking for just any generator head. :( .....I thought you wanted an original attachment.

My goal was to find an original Bolens generator attachment but I figured I better grab this one since they dont come up for sale too often. If I ever find a original attachment I can always resell this one.

One advantage to having the generator belt driven, is that you can play with pulley sizes, so the tractor's engine does not have to run at full speed to get adequate generator output.

I never gave that a thought.... Now I think I may just leave it belt drive, It would be nice to not have it running full throttle all the time.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:41 AM

I never gave that a thought.... Now I think I may just leave it belt drive, It would be nice to not have it running full throttle all the time.

Part of what you can do there depends on the balance of power. If your generator only needs 5-6 hp to put out full capacity and you are running a 12hp engine, you could get by with running the engine slower. If the generator requires 8+ hp for full output, then your engine will need to be running at rated speed to adequately power the generator.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:44 AM

That will look really nice on the Bolens, Brian.
Of course, since it already has the JD mounts, maybe you could buy a John Deere to put it on...

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Nice looking generator head. At 4kw it should take about 8hp to run that to full output. If you don't need all that power a larger pulley on the gen side could allow you to reduce your rpms to say 3k which would be a lot quieter and easier on fuel as well. With 12hp you might be able to get full power at 3krpms it's hard to say until you test it. A dual pulley setup would be nice if you could manage it. You could then reduce rpms substantially if you only needed say 2kw to run lights and a fridge for instance.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Very good find! I have one similar but with Monkey Wards tag. I wanted a Sears unit but was just glad to get a generator for now.
Once painted Bolens colors nobody will know the difference. :thumbs:

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hey Doc, I hope that you dont mind if I use your thread as a learning tool :). But I have a few questions. Is the front pto pully bolens or did you make it yourself? and why? Also what do you intend to run off the generator? Congrats on the find.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hey Doc, I hope that you dont mind if I use your thread as a learning tool :). But I have a few questions. Is the front pto pully bolens or did you make it yourself? and why? Also what do you intend to run off the generator? Congrats on the find.

The Pulley you see on the front of the Bolens is an actual Bolens Accessory that was available.
Down where I live we always get alot of water in the basement so if the power goes out,This generator will make a great back up to power the sump pump just in case the other one quits :D
  • speedyg said thank you

#10 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Is the front pto pully bolens ?

Here is some info: http://gardentractor...pto-pulley-kit/

I can provide a pic of an actual #18704 PTO Kit, if you need more info. .....I also have a NOS #18704 PTO Kit, if you have the need for one.
  • speedyg said thank you

#11 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:15 PM

The Pulley you see on the front of the Bolens is an actual Bolens Accessory that was available.
Down where I live we always get alot of water in the basement so if the power goes out,This generator will make a great back up to power the sump pump just in case the other one quits :D

Good idea Doc, I would really be interested in seeing how you intend to set the rig up for emergency use !!! You have got my full attention. :)

#12 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Here is some info: http://gardentractor...pto-pulley-kit/

I can provide a pic of an actual #18704 PTO Kit, if you need more info. .....I also have a NOS #18704 PTO Kit, if you have the need for one.

Thanks for the info Bruce, I would like to see a photo if you get a chance. And would also like to know more about the purpose for the pto. I also would be interesded in talking to you about the pto kit that you have. Please PM with info.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Those are a great score Doc! Congrats! Is the generator the same make / type / model as the ones that were offered for the Bolens? Were the parts just a "package deal" , or were they specific parts that you were looking for?

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Those are a great score Doc! Congrats! Is the generator the same make / type / model as the ones that were offered for the Bolens? Were the parts just a "package deal" , or were they specific parts that you were looking for?

The generators that Bolens offered were branded "GenerAC" They may have used a Pincor at some point but I'm not 100% sure

The guy had a small box of NOS wisconsin parts that he let me go through. I basically bought everything he had except for some random gasket kits that I wasn't sure of what they went on.

#15 number2000 OFFLINE  

number2000
  • Member No: 10211
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 02:00 PM

If I may be as so bold about how much did this set you back. I have a fellow who wants to sell me his 4500 watt unit and I want to be able to offer him a fair price.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens