• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Chris, the proper tense is "was" a Wolf Spider :laughingteeth:

Brian, how's it feel to be the conquering hero?

I found this chart online, kinda handy.

http://www.termite.c...tification.html

Alan, Thanks to your spider I.D. chart, the wife has identified the monster that she found in the kitchen.

Here is what she says it is,

Orb-Weaving Spiders ...low risk - non-aggressive

gardenorbweaving150.gif

Venom toxicity - the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds.
Spider Identification - an adult is about 2/3 to more than 1 inch in body length - has a bulbous abdomen - often colorful - dark to light brown pattern. The common Golden Orb-Weaver Spider has a purplish bulbous abdomen with fine hairs.
Habitat - often found in summer in garden areas around the home - they spin a large circular web of 6 feet or more, often between buildings and shrubs, to snare flying insects, such as, flies and mosquitoes.

Thanks everyone for your input!!

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I had one of those in the garage a while ago. Some of you may remember my post about it. If not, here is something to refresh your memory! :laughingteeth:

Posted Image

I have Wolf spiders that large & possibly larger here. The wife & daughter sure do squeal when they see one too!

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Alan, Thanks to your spider I.D. chart, the wife has identified the monster that she found in the kitchen.

Here is what she says it is,

Orb-Weaving Spiders ...low risk - non-aggressive

gardenorbweaving150.gif

Venom toxicity - the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds.
Spider Identification - an adult is about 2/3 to more than 1 inch in body length - has a bulbous abdomen - often colorful - dark to light brown pattern. The common Golden Orb-Weaver Spider has a purplish bulbous abdomen with fine hairs.
Habitat - often found in summer in garden areas around the home - they spin a large circular web of 6 feet or more, often between buildings and shrubs, to snare flying insects, such as, flies and mosquitoes.

Thanks everyone for your input!!

That sounds a lot better than a Wolf spider! Even if it was a Wolf it would prob be better if your wife thinks it's a harmless Orb weaver. :laughingteeth:
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 06:53 PM

So, let me guess... Because it's not dangerous, you're no longer the hero? :laughingteeth: