15 replies to this topic

#1 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hey Guys,

I finally got around to picking up the reel mowers i spoke about months back.

I can't tell if these were originally part of a 3 gang pull behind mower, or if these were the ones that mounted midway to be used with the front mount reel mower. Wondering if any of the Bolens experts can tell me exactly what they are.
Also need to know if anyone has a belt size and how to for the front mount mower.

I may be able to provide more pics if needed. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'm guessing those reels were mounted on the sides of the Ride-a-Matics like in this picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• rdmatic.jpg

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Doc., I think your right. They look just like the one's in that photo. Even use the pipe mount on the hitch. I knew you would know what they were. :thumbs:

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thats a pretty neat setup great find you have there

#5 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:42 PM

I'm guessing those reels were mounted on the sides of the Ride-a-Matics like in this picture:

They do look like the ones in the photo but I cant figure out how they mount to the tractor.

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:59 AM

Wow those are cool !!!

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Those Pennsylvania Gang Units with the Bolens name were used as mid-mount reel mowers for Bolens Ride-A-Matic tractors.

They were used in conjunction with either the front-mount (tractor-powered) reel mower attachment as shown in the brochure, or with a third gang unit which was attached and towed from the rear hitch of the tractor.

Bolens #22436-01 2-Gang Mower attachment included 2 reel units & a hitch for mid-mounting them.

Bolens #22437-01 3-Gang Mower attachment included included 3 reel units, a hitch for mid-mounting, and a hitch for rear-mounting.

Those 21" gang mower units were also sold under the Pennsylvania name (without the yellow Bolens covers) as a 3-gang tow-behind set for use with many brands of tractors.

Additional Info added:

Do you know the model of your tractor, and also the front reel mower attachment? ....I suspect you have a model #15401 (24") or #16402 (30") Reel Mower Attachment which is connected to the tractor with a #22734 Hitch Assembly.

Owner's Manual & Parts List for the #15401 & #16402 is posted at:
http://gardentractor...01-01-16402-01/
These two reel mower attachments were actually used on later models of the 2-wheel tractors, but could be adapted for use on the Ride-A-Matics.

The #22734 Hitch Assy was required when mounting either of these reel mowers to a model 220,230,231,232, 233, or 234 Bolens tractor.

Bolens Ride-A-Matic attachment interchange info is located at:
http://gardentractor...erchangeabiity/

I have info on the #22734 Hitch Assy and also the Gang Mower Attachment. ....I will scan & post them ASAP. ....There is a picture of the mid-mount hitch for the Ride-A-Matic there.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, June 06, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and NyRedNeck have said thanks

#8 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Those Pennsylvania Gang Units with the Bolens name were used as mid-mount reel mowers for Bolens Ride-A-Matic tractors.

They were used in conjunction with either the front-mount (tractor-powered) reel mower attachment as shown in the brochure, or with a third gang unit which was attached and towed from the rear hitch of the tractor.

Bolens #22436-01 2-Gang Mower attachment included 2 reel units & a hitch for mid-mounting them.

Bolens #22437-01 3-Gang Mower attachment included included 3 reel units, a hitch for mid-mounting, and a hitch for rear-mounting.

Those 21" gang mower units were also sold under the Pennsylvania name (without the yellow Bolens covers) as a 3-gang tow-behind set for use with many brands of tractors.

Additional Info added:

Do you know the model of your tractor, and also the front reel mower attachment? ....I suspect you have a model #15401 (24") or #16402 (30") Reel Mower Attachment which is connected to the tractor with a #22734 Hitch Assembly.

Owner's Manual & Parts List for the #15401 & #16402 is posted at:
http://gardentractor...01-01-16402-01/
These two reel mower attachments were actually used on later models of the 2-wheel tractors, but could be adapted for use on the Ride-A-Matics.

The #22734 Hitch Assy was required when mounting either of these reel mowers to a model 220,230,231,232, 233, or 234 Bolens tractor.

Bolens Ride-A-Matic attachment interchange info is located at:
http://gardentractor...erchangeabiity/

I have info on the #22734 Hitch Assy and also the Gang Mower Attachment. ....I will scan & post them ASAP. ....There is a picture of the mid-mount hitch for the Ride-A-Matic there.

Thanks Bruce.

The tractor is a 59 RAM Model 230-01 if I am not mistaken. There is no tag on my front reel mower but it is i believe 30 inches. Unfortunately there are no tags on the 2 reel mowers either.
I will take a look at the links you posted.

Al

#9 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM

I guess the puzzle is how they mount to the tractor. If you have the info on the gang mower that would be sweet.

Thanks

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:39 AM

I guess the puzzle is how they mount to the tractor. If you have the info on the gang mower that would be sweet.

Thanks

It is a very simple mounting arrangement, just a round bar that the gangs hitch to, and two brackets which bolt to the sides of the tractor frame.

I didn't have the time to hook-up the scanner and get you the info last night. ....I'll try to get that done later today.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:46 PM

I just scanned and posted info for the Gang mowers at:

http://gardentractor...ang-mower-sets/

Info for the front hitch which I believe you have is at:

http://gardentractor...34-front-hitch/

I did have the hitch you need for your center-mount gang mowers, but I'm not sure if I still have it. ....I will try to look for it and let you know.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and NyRedNeck have said thanks

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I did have the hitch you need for your center-mount gang mowers, but I'm not sure if I still have it. ....I will try to look for it and let you know.

Sorry, but no luck on the gang mower hitch bar. ....It probably went to scrap sometime in the past.

That's the way things go -- You can hang onto something for years then decide you'll never use/need it, so you get rid of it. ....Of course, later you find a need for it.

#13 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Sorry, but no luck on the gang mower hitch bar. ....It probably went to scrap sometime in the past.

That's the way things go -- You can hang onto something for years then decide you'll never use/need it, so you get rid of it. ....Of course, later you find a need for it.

No worries. The manuals were just what I needed. Looks easy enough to make the hitch n brackets. Thanks again.

Edited by NyRedNeck, June 10, 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Wanting photos when you get them mounted, very cool find..

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:58 AM

I bet those will make for a beautiful lawn. Can't wait for the action shots ;)

Bruce, do you remember if the bars on the brackets were tube or solid stock?