• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 atomiclab OFFLINE  

atomiclab
  • Member No: 10096
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I am considering buying a mower exactly like this one (used)

I cant find any info on it at all with internet searches.

Posted Image

Obviously this is a huskee, but what make? what model? what year?
is this a reliable mower?

I had a '92 craftsman and sold it in favor of a higher horse power hydrostatic drive Murry ( i wish I hadn't) that Murry has given me nothing but trouble. and I have reason to believe the connecting rod broke yesterday while I was mowing. I am so frustrated im ready to call the murry trash.

My thing is I don't want a "NEW" mower either. all the safety features make it nearly impossible to use.

plus I want a mower that has the guts to pull my 16' utility trailer around the yard. (2" ball hitch welded to the back)

Some of you may find this unreasonable, but none the less, that is how I use a lawn tractor.

I appreciate any and all help on the subject (either general or specific to the pictured mower)

Thank you all

Dan.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Welcome to the site! I can't help with your question any, somebody who can help will be here shortly.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I would say this is a late 90's or early 2000's unit looking at the frame. The 2002 I had for a while didn't look that stout. That being said, it's still probably considered a lawn mower or lawn tractor, not a garden tractor. It probably isn't designed for heavy pulling (which a 16' trailer would probably fall into the category of "heavy")

The Husky units probably didn't have bearings on the axels and excess weight will wear the bushings rather quickly.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Spend the money on an old Deere or IH cub cadet or similar. YOu can still find old ones cheap and will be heavier that this rig. This is a generic lawn tractor. Nice for mowing grass, but wouldn't pull much with it. You need one with "ground engaging" abilitlies. Plows, discs, blades etc, all take more frame strength. Horsepower doesn't have to be that high to still move trailers, but drive line has to live! How about an old Power King?? Heavy, mows and will pull a lot? Get an older metal body one.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Welcome to Gttalk Dan Don't know anything about the Huskee that your looking at 16' trailer even empty weighs pretty much I bet . How much weight are you putting on it ? Al

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:03 PM

First off, Welcome to GTtalk, we are glad you joined us :welcometogttalk: .

Secondly, I have to agree with the other comments that you need to look for something a little heavier. I would look for an older Deere or cub, may a A/C-Simplicity.

Where are located at in TX., I'm down by S.A...Glad to have another TEXAN here with us. :beerchug:

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:52 PM

:wave: atomiclab! Welcome to GTTalk! Looking at the pic, I'd hazard a guess that it was built by Murray. They did build some of the units for TSC a while back, but not sure of the years and such. They do a fine job of cutting grass, but as was mentioned before, they don't have bearings in the rear axle and will wear out quickly doing jobs they weren't meant for. We're glad that you've joined us here and hope that you find a suitable Gt in your price range!

#8 atomiclab OFFLINE  

atomiclab
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks to all for the welcomes .
Texas Deere and Horse, I am in San Angelo Tx.

ALC, my trailer is a tandem axel and its usually empty, but sometimes not. the most weight I have pulled with the lawn tractor is probably around a yard of sand and gravel with it. the 92' craftsman did it well (needed some front weight) the murray struggles weighted or empty.

GLgrumpy, you make a good point about the axel having bushings instead of bearings. these are things im looking to know.
my budget for my potential new mower/tractor is small. hopefully no more than $1,000. so, Power King i wish (as far as i can tell)
what is the IH Cub Cadet? I still haven't learned the differences in these tractors models and which is a sturdy machine and which is mass market machines.

as I understand the John Deere 100 series are more just mowers and above are more tractors. is that right?

oh and by the way the pictured above Huskee mower is $350

#9 atomiclab OFFLINE  

atomiclab
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:59 PM

the only reason im pulling the trailer with the "mower" is because its tremendously maneuverable package. its convenient on my relatively small property.

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:28 PM

:welcometogttalk: Welcome to GTT Dan, I'm down here a little south of Temple. I agree that the mower pictured is a little light in the britches for the heaver work and while it may do it for some time it will give you trouble later on. There's several that would do what you want that are listed on Craigslist. I'll give you a couple of links here. The second doesn't have a deck but it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Good luck on your search and if I see anything else I'll PM you.

http://austin.craigs...3018649592.html

http://austin.craigs...3041650405.html
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ronnie, I know the guy (Tom) who has the first one. He might take a little less, he has had it for a few years now and hasn't been running lately that I know of. He is just north of Lockhart, TX...
  • tinner said thank you

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have several decks that will fit that JD.210, I have been watching that one to see if he will come down on it.
  • tinner said thank you

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hey lab, If you look at our site sponsors pages, they have lots of pictures of great older Garden Tractors. If you browse through those pics., you will see the big differences in heavy built GT's vs lawn tractors. You should be able to buy a really good GT for less then 500.00.. I have found several around central TX..

#14 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:59 PM

You should be able to buy a really good GT for less then 500.00.. I have found several around central TX..

Yep, that preacher practically paid you to come get that 990. That was a great buy.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 11:30 PM

Ronnie, that was a great deal... :dancingbanana: I got lucky on that one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: huskee