• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I was working with one of my walking tractors, and it feels like it will not fully engage it the forward gear.
The forward gear is reverse right now because it has the reduction wheels on it. so it you get into a "situation" that you have to back out of it just wont move; put it in gear and give it a tug and we are moving but not like when its running forward.
It is a high range model with reductions on it, this happens with any of the tools on it.
I have not pulled down the unit as i want to have a working one at all times. a few need to be assembled still.
any suggestions on the issue?
I dont want to damage anything further but would like still be able to use it.

Thanks for the input
Kc

#2 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:13 PM

probably need some more info like name,model,year, S/N before anyone can help

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:17 PM

You don't say if you have checked the clutch linkage. Make sure the clutch engagement lever (on the transmission) isn't slipping on the F/R shaft. If it is, you will need to get that right. Then check the compression of the external clutch springs, make sure that the handle can just snap into gear. Let us know how all that checks out.

#4 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:31 PM

sorry for the lack of info Rex, my mistake.
It is a 1954 Gravely, two wheel model. 5 hp motor with high ratio gears. It has reduction wheels with the 12" wheels.

Howard, I have checked the linkage and the transmission lever does not slip in any way. so i think it would be the springs, i will check them and let you know.
Do you know off hand what the spring rate is? Or is it in the manuals? as i will be looking at the old gravely site.

Thank you for the input!
KC

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 07:57 PM

sorry for the lack of info Rex, my mistake.
It is a 1954 Gravely, two wheel model. 5 hp motor with high ratio gears. It has reduction wheels with the 12" wheels.

Howard, I have checked the linkage and the transmission lever does not slip in any way. so i think it would be the springs, i will check them and let you know.
Do you know off hand what the spring rate is? Or is it in the manuals? as i will be looking at the old gravely site.

Thank you for the input!
KC

I don't remember spring rate ever being discussed. The adjustment nuts should be held in place by being double nutted, with the two nuts "locked" together. "Unlock" the nuts, then turn the adjustment nut so that it compresses the spring further. For forward, for instance, put the handle in the "forward locked" position and tighten the adjusting nut until there is just enough slack left so that the handle will rotate into and out of the locked position without binding because the spring won't compress anymore. Then test and see if your problem is resolved.