wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:16 PM

Crazy question, who runs the foam pre-filters in conjunction with the paper air cleaner element?? I don't see the benefit, and throw them in the pile when installing the air cleaner elements.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:28 PM

The new paper is much better than the old ones and are pretty reasonable. Back in the day, the pre filters saved a lot of filter replacement and probably saved a lot of engines when that paper separated from the rubber.

Many of the engines had just the foam. Remember cleaning, soaking and squeezing many times on the same filters.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I do still run the foam pre-filter. I put a little engine oil on it and then fold it in a towel and squeeze the excess oil out. I don't like getting the oil on the paper filter. Makes it hard to blow out. Seems like the paper filter last much longer.
Used to wash the foam filter in gasoline until I read an article about what that does to the kidneys and liver. Now I use dish detergent and it seems to work just as well.
Old habits are hard to break so I guess I will continue to use the foam pre-filters.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 04:13 AM

As soon as the foam gets some what dirty I will take it off and run just the filter til thats used. I never got into cleaning and blowing them out. Nothing against doing that, I know a lot of people do it with good luck. Like Cvans said, I will likely continue with habit of using the foam.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 05:02 AM

I think it was optional in a lot of cases but can save your main filters when you are in really dusty conditions. When I had a Kawi Vtwin powered JD I had 2 of those foam pre filters and rotated them in to help extend the life of the main filter which was $$$ to replace.

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Still run the foam filters but use then without oil. Wash them out with the "purple cleaner" sold in most auto part stores under their store brands. Been doing it for around 20 years on golf courses and too old to change now plus they do keep a lot of the bigger debris out of the paper filters.

Bill.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 05:41 AM

I use them and when they get dirty either blow them off with compressed air or if it's oily wash them with the type of purple cleaner Bill mentioned above . I'll also blow out the paper filter if it looks dirty To be honest I've havn't had to change too many filter though the years ( read that as CHEAP :blush2: ) Al

Edited by Alc, June 05, 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 06:18 AM

I use them, especially with a mower. Keeps those fine grass clippings out of the main filter. Easily removed and cleaned. I like the purple cleaner, but have used the green stuff also!

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Like many of the comments above I use them as well. I think it makes the main filter last longer and when it starts to show dirt I take it off and wash it with dawn. I look at it as the engineer's designed it and put it there for a reason. Even when I get a mower or tractor in for repair and it did not have one on it and I replace the filter I will install the pre-filter to put it back to spec's.

#10 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 11:12 AM

I use them with oil too, and I clean them once in a while with dish detergent, just not in the kitchen sink anymore. The wife doesn't care for the oil ring around the basin. I have to agree that it makes the paper filter last longer.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I also run them, but dry to keep out all the trash that normally get caught in the paper element. I think it makes my paper filter last a lot longer.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I always thought it was silly too. Specially hate the ones that are old and crumbly and still there! My tractors see little use by me and paper alone will last for years I suppose. BUT, I have seen some with lots of grass and dirt saved from the reg filter, specially newer top mount ones and guess that must work keeping filter one longer. Just makes another filter to have to mess with. I never oil them either if I leave on, maybe they do little w/out oil? Would never BUY one new to use.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I use the foam pre-filter on most of my equipment as well. They especially come in handy when tilling and mowing where fine particles are flying around.