• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 05:31 PM

found an S23 from the late 50's i belive has a b at the end of the serial number that would lead me to think it's the second year of production . the # stamps used on this s23 are different than the stamps used on my s24 "larger more blocky numbers" it has a 10hp kohler instead of a b/s 9hp and older style trans with the rotate the shift lever to the right and move the lever forward and back instead of the lift up and move forward and back is this really a s24 like the guy says or is it a S23 in hidding under a bunch of mods , it has a hood latch and the one info site says only the S14 and S23 came with hood latch's, so straighten me out all you deeeeep thinkers i'm work'n as fast as i can to make the money but it might not last that long. :mad2:

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have an 'early' 66 S24 and it too has the hood latch FYI, speedex was famous for that...running till they were out of parts...then making a 'late' change...Photo?

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:06 PM

What's address and I can look at it for ya? Heh! Heh! Not real knowledgable on Spdx, but think the bigger numbered ones all have best advantages for rebuild. I don't like idea of tiller steer tho and would have to have a wheel. We need pix to see what it is. Must be all the speedex's are in PA or Ohio. Every one with parts is from that area and most stuff for sale. I find few who even know of them around IN. And they are at shows too, just don't get that?

#4 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 05:38 PM

yup well whoever gets it will have a pretty good start on resto considering most all is there just a bad tranny

#5 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 05:34 PM

If what i found is true it.s around a 61

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Were you able to close the deal on this one?

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Were you able to close the deal on this one?

Inquiring Minds wants to know !! :laughingteeth:

And photos too, if you bought it.. :thumbs:

#8 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:29 PM

no i did not get it but somebody in the area got it they told me it was a local guy , but if your looking for one check out yakaz elmira ny for a good laugh i wish my speedex' were worth that much it must be gold plated then painted :wtf: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Edited by bolex, June 28, 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#9 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 05:33 PM

the guy that bought the speedex stopped by the mower shop that i help out at today , he walks up and asks the owner if he knows anything about speedex transmissions ,he says no and turns and says but he does as he points to me so now i am faced with being on the spot as the shop speedex guru, he explained to me the problem and i answered adjust the throw stops or replace the gears inside . he then asked me if i knew where he could find a tranny for parts and i said sure got one at home thats when i told him that i was after the same speedex . now i have to figure out what the internal parts are worth so i can sell him the gears so if anyone can tell me the value of the gears it would a big help

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'd say they're worth what you want for them! After all, he pulled the tractor out from under ya? Seriously though, I have no idea of their worth. To this guy, they should bring a premium though. And are you SURE you even want to sell the parts?

#11 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 03:21 PM

well if i would get 50 for the gears that would pay for 66% of the cost of the unit it came off of so if i sell the frame as a unit and make enough maybe i can get a hood for one of the other ones i have .

#12 dimms32 OFFLINE  

dimms32
  • Member No: 9016
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:55 AM

:smilewink: :smilewink: bolex......You wouldnt happen to have a s14 or s17 laying around collecting dust that you might not want......DO YA.....????????????????????????????...John............ :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Couple nice looking Speedes on epay this week. One was up to $500 and he had buy it now of $995 and think he is dreaming. Other one was pretttier but haven't went back to check how it is doing. It's in a garage in pictures and had some attachments with it. Newer one with flat fenders and bent hood shape. 1631 maybe? Sorry, I don't know how to do the links for you guys. I'ld like one like that last one, but would have to be cheap, just like Me!

#14 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 10:39 AM

well dimms 32 yes i just happen to have one but i am not sure of the year or make i am going to say it,s a s14 but that would be because of the high letter designation of K in the frame number, it was parts when i saved it from the scrap yard no engine or tranny now and the steering gear is missing have the cross shaft but no gear , it was picked up by a grapple and there is some damage to the seat riser (slightly bent to the left side by a half inch or so) and the hitch is bent on the one side but should bend back on a press , i started to part it out for the pioneer steam show but got stopped by several trips this week and had to go to delaware on friday that run puts me in a position to not go to the show (too tired to load up and go) today so the partly parted out speedex is setting there , heck she's almost ready for sandblast now so PM me with an offer on it . parts include frame,front axle ,steering wheel ,cross shaft,rear diff assembly,clutch/brake pedal, lift arm assembly
PS small s series tranny parts don't interchange with large s series tranny parts ,

#15 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 12:30 PM

well i just mite have another chance at this tractor so we will see