Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Finally got my MF 1655 honda repower done......Impressive!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 154 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 01:28 AM

Finally got back to finishing planting my beans so had to put the project on hold but finished it up this evening and mowed the yard with it for the first time! Talk about putting that Onan to shame......this thing is twice the mower now! Anyone ever interested in buying these kits from small engine warehouse beware.......had alot of stuff missing and had to do alot of other modifications of pulleys, flywheel adapter and muffler to name a few things so one needs to be handy and have a welder, press, lathe and torch! Plus when you call in for help they can't direct you to tech support they have to put in a order and then they'll call you back....maybe!! They claim it takes 2 hrs @ $60 dollars an hour.......2 hrs my ass!! Any questions or help please ask......also mine is the 24 hp honda. Luke

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,174 Thanks
  • 1,480 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hey Luke glad you have it up and running,Your so right about it being a nice running motor.Glad to hear you have it all worked out and got it figured out the way it needed to be.Hope my input helped you out.Larry

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,351 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 08:50 AM

Glad you got in running.They are great machines,I wouldn't part with mine for all the tea in China,and I don't drink tea.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Video...or at least pics!:D

#5 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 154 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 10:05 AM

Yes, I thank all you guys on here with the help and exspecially you Larry! First chance I get I'll get a few pics and maybe if I can figure it out put a video on here of it in action......its a beast! I'd put it up against my dads new x485 deere with that liquid cooled 24 hp kawasaki anyday now! One question to you guys about the power steering......could a guy tee into a pressure line off hydrostat for pressure and then put a hydraulic orbital motor steering box on and put a slave cylinder on steering drag line?.....thats what they do on all the big row crop tractors. Was gonna look at my dads deere and see how they do it on them......just curious if I could get hydraulic pressure without installing an additional pump, belt and pulley?? Thanks guys!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Yep, both my Massey's I powered the steering off the hydro charge/lift pump. You're best to use a 5 port orbital as they have a built in "power beyond port" to go on to your lift control valves. With a 4 port, you have to plug in the orbital into the return line for pressure. With 5 port, just go straight to the charge pump, then run the power beyond to the lift valves.
But do not "T" into the pressure line, as the lift valves when not used flow through freely, so there will be no pressure for the steering. Straight to the 5 port, then to lift.

#7 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 154 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Cool! What did you use for a steering box and slave cylinder on steering the front axle? Where you get those 5 port valves at?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 10:27 AM

Cool! What did you use for a steering box and slave cylinder on steering the front axle? Where you get those 5 port valves at?

Off a JD318, both orbital & cylinder. One the one Massey, I'm using a 3pt lift cylinder, but MUCH better going with the 318 cylinder....lots easier fitting it up.

#9 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 154 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 01:06 AM

Okay, did it take alot of work retrofitting the parts to make it all work properly? Where did you tee into the hydraulic system.....off the remote valves on side console? Do you have any pics to help me get an idea of how you did the plumbing and mounting of stuff? Thanks Luke

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Okay, did it take alot of work retrofitting the parts to make it all work properly? Where did you tee into the hydraulic system.....off the remote valves on side console? Do you have any pics to help me get an idea of how you did the plumbing and mounting of stuff? Thanks Luke

No "T", but direct plumbing. I have a ton to do today & tomorrow, so may not get pics till latter part of week or weekend. Dairy meeting in Nashville Wed & Thursday. A little welding, but not all that much. I'll get the pics asap.

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 12:05 PM

Dan
Looking forward to those pics.
The best price I have found on orbitals was here.
Surplus Center - 3.84 CU IN SAUER-DANFOSS OSPM63PB STEERING VALVE

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 01:13 PM

I kept putting low bids on ebay till I got what I needed for a lower price. Patience & more patience on ebay, and you can save money. The last was a package deal, the 318 orbital column plus the cylinder. Both to my door for a total of only $150! Took a month of watching & bidding, but worth it.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 01:39 PM

Ok guys, I got the trucks loaded with grain, so taking a breather. I already had these pics from adding PS to the 1655. I do not have 3pt or any hydraulic powered items (loader has dedicated hydraulic pump), so will have to talk you through it.

Here is how I bolted up the 318 orbital column. I welded a plate on inside bottom of the channel factory installed in the tower. The stud centers of the orbital are about 1" from the edge of the original channel. The top is a 1x5/16" section of steel welded in, not sure of the depth, but you can see the general area. I welded this in, then got a very thick washer that fit snug on the column & welded it to a small piece of 1/8" thick metal & pre-drilled holes into it. I then laid the dash plastic on & when all in place, marked through the holes so I could drill the welded in strap.
The hoses run close to the driveshaft, but have them to where they clear just fine.
The problem is, I have changed the driveshaft setup on this 1655 to run direct from engine to hydro, plus there is no rear pto on this tractor, so all will have to be altered to fit YOUR tractor. What you can do is shorten the column so you can weld mounts for the orbital valve much higher to clear everything. In fact, I shortened this column to get the height correct. Just unbolt the column tube, cut whatever needed from center of steering wheel shaft, weld back together, then shorten tube to fit and bolt back on.

1655 st.jpg

My modified 1650 still has rear pto, so I'll show you a pic of it's orbital mounted very high. Not a 318 orbital, but made the same, except hoses come off the side, rather than the bottom. This is a 4 port.

1650.jpg

Now to the hoses. To the right in pic is the return port with the "T". Again, no remote hydraulics off this charge pump, just runs the power steering. The 5 port has one return line, and one "power beyond" port, so both had to return to the return port. The port to left in pic is the pressure port. This one will go directly to the "in" port on the steering orbital. On your tractor with hydraulic functions, the "power beyond" port will go to your hydraulic control valve assembly, then the return line from the control valves will "T" into the return line as I did with power beyond. Hope you can follow me.

1655 hoses.jpg

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,864 Thanks
  • 30,148 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 03:25 PM

Forgot to add, but will have to take a pic & get measurements later....I welded on an arm on the right spindle for the cylinder to connect to. If using a 318 cylinder, the measurement of mine will work out exactly with the stroke to provide full "lock to lock" and use up the cylinder working length exactly.

#15 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 154 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 12:04 AM

Thanks olcowhand! Looks kinda like I'll have to tear her all apart for this mod job so gonna have to wait til winter! Yeah, I don't want to alter any of my driveshafts plus i don't want to lose the availabilty of using my rear PTO if needed so will have to shorten the steering tube and shaft to make work! Looks like its a slick setup once installed! Is there enough oil flow to turn tires or do you stall the orbital motor at tractor idle? If possible I like to see pics of the steering cylinder and setup! Thanks again! Luke