#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Need drive belt for my Sears ST12. Thought would be easy find. My local shop didn't have but gave these numbers STD 325810 and 6474H or is that A? What you guys use? Have a source? Also, can't find orig idler pulley, said discontinued? I bought one that looks like it would work, hope so.

Bought a carb kit for the LME on it and was $40!! and not much in it. Zis the way it is for those carbs? I don't understand with the millions of these they made why so hard to find and buy? Frustrated!
Also looking for rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Shop can get but $39 and there's not much in the thing to cost that much?? Any sources for it? It is Auto Pulse 3001 1-73 on it. A rectangular and 5/8" thick layer of metal and rubber. Do you really need a pump? The gas tank is higher than the carb, won't if just flow?

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sears site says need a STD 325810 belt, can order online. No dimensions shown. I bought an 80" and too tight. Wonder if the 810 in the number could mean 81"??? sometimes 1" makes quite a diff on belts. What you guys using in your SS's??

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:15 PM

I've been lucky in that there is a place local that will let me try them until I get it right. I always keep any that I scuff, only returning the ones that are truly new.

I think I bought an 82" last time? Been a while.

I think that they are actually 81.5"? (Sears loved odd size belts) Plenty of adjustment for an 82 to work.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:13 PM

New belt, some pulleys, carb cleaning. Mounted deck. All works, cept something in trans-axle must be wrong. Can go along fine and when trying to stop, starts making big noise, then wants to Jump ahead, then if I brake, just stops motor IF it will stop! Makes me mad, gonna sell it for next guy to fix. New battery, runs great. On craigslist now, gonna post here.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:32 PM

GL, couple of visible checks.

First, does the brake stop the tractor when out of gear?

Second, are all the belt guides in place? Including the one above the clutch/idler?

If you shoot a pic of the pulley side of the engine, I can possibly tell on most of them.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:05 PM

81, have new idlers. One is movable V shape, the other is the one frame mounted flat above the belt. Messed with belts. Even the 81" I put in now, seemed some tight. But, it did release with pedal. Yes the brake stops tractor when I pushed it. I had to do some adjusting on that, it was dead tight when I first put in new brake strap. Old one had NO material on it. It was kinda set-up wrong, got it right. The trans always has made some noises, sounds tinny like it was a pulley when idling. I checked the big rear one too to see if bent or loose, but is good. I actually had the whole rear dropped out of this thing to put on the new belt. Got the hi-lo lever back in when installing, it works. I'm tired of working on it, want it gone. Shoulda never got in first place. Someone just buy it and I'll be FREE! Finally figured out the carb problem. Wasn't getting gas thru to bowl. Took it all off, blew out the ports at inlet and back from needle seat and rubber chunks came out!! I put all new hoses on, and think the rubber pieces actually came from cutting the hoses. Hmmmm!

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear it frustrated you. If you decide you want us to take a look, snap a few and post 'em up. Maybe something'll jump out at us.