IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well, I'm not haveing any luck, bring those 2 8D's back to life.
Does it make sense to dump them completely, and start with new
electrolyte. As I was taking fluid out to make room for the epson solution, I sucking
up a fair bit of black flakey bits.

#32 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I had to suck out Electrolyte in the one I did so I could get the Epson solution in but I didn't have black flaky bits in mine. Did you check each cell for Voltage? In one of the post's it talked about having at least 2 volts (I believe) on each cell for this to work. I think this may have been mentioned in Brian's original thread he talked about earlier in this one.

#33 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 02:01 AM

this whole theory makes me shake my head,to the best of my knowledge all salts are alkaline,the exact opposite of acid, it should work just as well as baking soda to neutralize the acid thereby ruining the battery. any one else have the same thought as me. service shop neglected to put the caps back on one battery on my work truck and the road salt killed it in a week.

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Epsom salts are Magnesium Sulfate rather than an actual (Chloride based) salt. It can be used to lower the pH of your soil if it is too alkaline.
  • ncb said thank you

#35 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Well just did the treatment on my second GT battery. I used distilled water this time. The battery had a small amount of life in it before I started on it. Had it on the slow charge for 8hrs and it was bubbling fairly well when I got home from work so I removed it from the charger. I will stick it in the 1641 in the morning and see how it works.
  • MH81 said thank you

#36 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:16 AM

Well just to update this old thread. I have had a 100% success rate doing this treatment to my GT batteries and even did the battery in my daughters Dodge Neon. The original battery I have done this to is still going strong. The cost savings is outstanding. If I had to replace all those batteries I would have been looking at almost $300 VS $10 for Epsom salt and a gallon of distilled water.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#37 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 01:37 PM

I've tried on 4 batteries, none of which were totally shot & would still turn an engine over, albeit slowly, and none of them were helped at all. They actually were worse after the treatment, and I did exactly as the directions stated.

#38 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'm not sure how many batteries I have done this on but I would say my success rate is 75% or better. The L110's battery is one and it keep's right on going. I have done several customer's batteries and none have brought their equipment back for a battery issue.

#39 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 05:34 PM

last week in college we went over what batteries are made up of and whats in them(the plates are 2 disimaliar metals seperated by a carborad type stuff, so the 2 plates dont touch.). a short between the plates is caused by 2 things the cardboard type material between the plates had dissinergrated allowing the plates to short( touch each other). the other having to do with the acid eating the plates( metals) and the material settling on the bottom on the casing and a short can be caused this way as well; shaking the battery can spread out the "pile of shavings" or rolling a battery down a hill or kicking it around can also temp. charge a dead battery.
  • sacsr said thank you