• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm sensing that maybe I'm trying to use my Dynamark/MF14 for too much. I have blown another connecting rod and it seems like regular functions such as tilling and pulling a harrow are fine, but as soon as I use the homemade plow that I built (attached pic) around the 6-8" depth mark is when I happen to have engine failure.

Is that too much to pull? The tractor didn't show any lack of power or loss of RPM while pulling it until the connecting rod seized and snapped.

After removing the engine, I did note that the oil was low and I think that was a contributing factor for sure... but I just think that after this rebuild I may not use that cultivator at that kind of depth again.

Thoughts? I know the people of GTTalk will have some good advice!

Frenchy

Culitvator-3 shanks.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:49 AM

You should have no problem pulling heavy loads for extended periods. I would say either the oil got too low & caused the failure, or the crank journal is worn beyond spec or out of round. Pulling hard with a loose fitting rod will hammer the rod till it lets go.

#3 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:59 AM

I pretty much did the same to my LGT 165. Didn't know it was burning oil until too late. Seized the rod and broke. Rebuilt with new rod, but forgot to check anything else. Burned so much oil I could use it as a fogger.

Tore it down completely, cylinder was .060 over and crank was .030 under. Had the cylinder sleeved and a new crank. Just waiting for the time to start it back up again.

Oil level seems to be a crucial thing.

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Nothin new...but OIL is a critical element. With any engine you must keep it clean and full, any other recipe is a recipe for disaster...I don't know how many broken rods I've seen...but if the owners simply added some new oil at the beginning and mid season...and checked it before every use, I'd bet we would see a lot fewer...Your tractor will be fine and will have no issues pulling that plow, Keep your oil clean and topped off...

GL

#5 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:59 AM

You should have no problem pulling heavy loads for extended periods. I would say either the oil got too low & caused the failure, or the crank journal is worn beyond spec or out of round. Pulling hard with a loose fitting rod will hammer the rod till it lets go.

Wouldn't you hear noise from the engine if the crank was out of round though? When I fit the crank and connecting rod last time I used 4 pieces of plasti-gauge to check the round and it was pretty good. Hopefully this time around it'll work.

Just called a machine shop to have the crank sent away for grinding and nice fit to the new undersized conn rod.

Edited by frenchy, June 04, 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hope the rework does the trick.
As for pulling that thru the ground, I can't think it would be any or much harder than a single bottom 12, which I've seen those tractors pull with relative ease.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 12:00 PM

On your other thread, you said the clearance plastigauged at .003, which is beyond normal accepted limits, but we told you it would likely give a lot more service. That all depends on load/etc, but then low oil would get the best of rods/journals.
Also, IF you used 4 pcs of plastigauge, and all 4 read .003, then you actually have .006" clearance, which is indeed way too far worn.
You should hear a wide clearance, but due to mufflers & other mechanical noise, you may not distinguish it as a loose rod sound.
You're doing the best thing to have things machined .

#8 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hope the rework does the trick.
As for pulling that thru the ground, I can't think it would be any or much harder than a single bottom 12, which I've seen those tractors pull with relative ease.

For sure MH... I actually used mine about 2 weeks ago and yes it was way harder on it than the cultivator.

On your other thread, you said the clearance plastigauged at .003, which is beyond normal accepted limits, but we told you it would likely give a lot more service. That all depends on load/etc, but then low oil would get the best of rods/journals.
Also, IF you used 4 pcs of plastigauge, and all 4 read .003, then you actually have .006" clearance, which is indeed way too far worn.
You should hear a wide clearance, but due to mufflers & other mechanical noise, you may not distinguish it as a loose rod sound.
You're doing the best thing to have things machined .

Thanks olcowhand... that's a good point. I never even thought of that. I'm showing my tells as a rookie GT guy :p

Thanks all for the help. I'll be sure to post updates!