#16 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 12:25 PM

the chrome has no flake in it ,but the silver explosion does

I charge shop labor of 60 per hr X however many hrs its takes ,I usually give a quote by site and say between 75 but no more than 100 its more of a ballpark quote since I cant see what is under the old paint til I strip it off--there is shop minimum of 75 dollars but you would be surprised at what can be accomplished in an hr with the right equipment

all work is degreased,media blasted ,chemically pretreated with Iron phosphate(added corrosion protection) then its up to the customer if they want a primer and a top coat, or just a top coat, or a primer base a top coat and clear over 20,000 colors available

any questions please just ask---and if you can get me a pic I can give you a ballpark price is probably the easiest way

Edited by thecoater, July 16, 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#17 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:27 PM

here is the begining of the slow start to the refinishing of the mf-14

candy red and chrome

I understand that this is not the factory spec as far as colors but WHO CARES !

Attached Thumbnails

• ALL pics broken camera sept .oct 2010 127.jpg
  • coated  parts 002.jpg
  • coated  parts 006.jpg

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:34 PM

The red is off from factory, but that silver is near dead on....and as you say, it's YOUR tractor. I think she'll be sharp!

#19 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:39 PM

the red is a tad bit off but upclose/ in person it looks real nice ,the camera I am using is new to me and the red is really alot deeper in the sun (shop lighting stinks)
the silver is actually called chrome -flint gray was just not doing it for me

if the sun happens to poke her head out today I will take some in the sun

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:09 PM

It looks pretty good in the pics anyway.

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:24 PM

First off, the silver looks awesome! Not a big fan of colored screens, I think they look much better in black myself though. Use that same chrome for the wheels too. :thumbs:

I would try to stay with the same basic color scheme of red-gray-silver myself, but upping the color to a candy red would look fine I think, but the candy red pearl may kinda have a bit of a Murray look to it when done. The other problem you will have is the cowl and nose trim can not be powder coated because it is plastic. Maybe your best option would be to powder-coat all the gray and the red using a standard bright red, and have the red color-matched to a wet paint to paint the cowl and the nose trim in. This would be the best way to achieve the results you want for a durable powder-coat, yet be able to match all the red. It will be very hard to make the candy PC look the same with a wet paint method.

#22 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:54 PM

well its a good thing I dont have that plastic piece then HUH hahaha,my hood needs some repairs ,(not a fan of pearl w/reds makes a pink hue)
I wasnt sure on the colored screen and am still not sold on it but since I own the business I can afford to change my mind later and not pay for it in the end LOL
if it came grey it from the factory now it will all be in the chrome(silver)
the hood will be candy red with new decals
and some gloss black here and there,theres really not much to these things so its not like I could go crazy even if I wanted to

simple and clean just more modern and new looking!

you can match a liquid to powder very easy its the other way around that can sometimes be the problem

#23 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:55 PM

looking good!

maybe i should do something with mine. i took it all apart. havent painted anything except the frame.

maybe those trim pieces are a good excuse to demo one of those xiom guns

#24 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:58 PM

looking good!

maybe i should do something with mine. i took it all apart. havent painted anything except the frame.

maybe those trim pieces are a good excuse to demo one of those xiom guns

its like spray painting with a blow torch -i'll pass

the 16 blade in Kansas was sold when he got back to me mike ,

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:20 PM

Just curious... You do have a plastic cowl, right? As for the nose trim, GTReproductions is now selling replacements (see the vendor section) but that will still be plastic. Even if your hood trim is missing, you still have the cowl to work with. I would LOVE to see it in a candy red if you can get even a very close match on the cowl, that would look sweet!

Also to note: the original paint scheme did not have the grill matching the frame and foot boards, but a bright silver much like you have used. The rims were also this color. I know you want to go bright silver on the whole thing, I just thought I would mention it. They id have two colors of silver on the tractor when new.

#26 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:36 PM

I do have the cowl but not the nose trim -my hood looks like the 1 you repaired before you repaired it (nice job by the way)

I was aware of the grey/silver -just not sure whats where LOL

I have a silver explosion that I will be using forgot to mention

I am going to do the floor boards in candy red with the rear fenders and the chrome/silver up the middle

all subject to change the parts you see in the pic I was not 100% happy with so there in the stripper now and I pulled more parts off and shot them in the stripper too by the end of tonight all that will be on it is the frame,steering wheel ,and drive train if all goes well and does not snow (if it does Im hunting) they will be done by friday
I am not really concerned with finding the candy red at all -house of colors -dupont -ppg ,
its the price

do you think you could post up some good shots of yours or other nice 1's out there the 1 in your avatar looks nice but its 2x2 LOL

Edited by thecoater, November 22, 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#27 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:28 AM

PS, I forgot you have a 14... The color is a bit different on them, the running boards are red and I believe the front bumper would of been red too.

The tractor in my avatar photo is my 1974 12g which is about 1/2 done. Yesterday I blasted the running boards and some small tin parts with the stuff for my 1971 12H.

Here are a few shots from the day I finished off restoring the mower deck. In these photos, the wheels have been finished. The AG's are my "summer tires", I have stock turf's with chains on spare wheels. I painted the rear rims after sandblasting to match the two-tone style of the early tractors. I like the look. The front rims were modified in my shop by cutting out 1.5" on my lathe and welding the bead back on. I did this to run the narrow tri-ribs on stock wheels. I love the look, but might just go with a new rim the next time. These took a LOT of work to do. My rear seat pan was also finished, it was sandblasted, any excess holes in box were welded shut, and a black bed liner was sprayed in to protect it. The hood area and all the gray stuff is yet to be finished.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a shot of the deck before I closed it up. After sandblasting, I filled any pitting in the metal and had a bed liner sprayed on the top, but only where the top cover would be sitting. This way all the grass will not rust out the deck.
Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 23, 2010 - 08:33 AM.