#1 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 09:58 PM

I would like to start off and say hello ,

I purchased my MF-14 last night ,it came with a working tiller and 48" deck both are MF

its all there and solid ,bought from a guy who owned it since 83 and always maintained and stored indoors
has a recent motor rebuild and hydros were just gone threw and checked out fine by a massey dealer(not on my dime)

it has AG tires on the corners ,

ok heres the working restoration part of it I own an operate my own powder coating business and I will be redoing everything metal on it

but I find red and grey boring and plain ,

what would you fellow MF owners think of candy red with metal flake for the red with a chrome or silver sparkle base and
chrome/silver for the grey and gloss black on the misc pieces and parts ,

I will add some pics after the 4th ,and will slowly be taring it down and doing parts as I go and will update pics as I go it will be slow going til the weather changes in the fall but I will have plenty done by then

I restore ALOT of john deeres for my customers but I like to be different and why I didnt choose a 214 or something along those lines or a case 444 ,

Im sure this will be a great thread about 2 months from now LOL

thanks for the welcome messages I received and for having me on your message boards

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like a great project and I can't wait to see the results. As for objections against being different and branching away from the factory colors that would be entirely up to you. It is what you like that is most important.

Now for my opinion I think candy red would look great. For the grey I really like the flint metallic grey that they came factory with, what about adding a little more metallic flake to it along with candy red instead of the Massey red?

When it comes time to repaint my Masseys I am going to be doing base coat clear coat on all of it.

I am anxious to see how you make out and to see how your project comes along.

#3 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 12:51 AM

I forgot to add in the 1st post the working resto part is that I still have to use it to do my lawn for the summer ,,
I am not committed to my color scheme and not that its for sale but everything has a price ,I would hate to hurt it to bad

after Im done coating it there will be no reason why this wont last another 50 yrs

while wet paint has its place ,properly applied powder will outlast it by 15-20x easily-

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Sounds like this is going to be a great Project :bounce:

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 07:42 AM

That's going to be a great project by the sounds of it.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 08:58 AM

1st off, welcome to GTT! Being you asked for opinions, I'll give mine. The candy apple should look great, but I'm with George on not straying too far from the flint metallic gray, but more sparkle in it would look great. The grill & rims were a brighter "Silver Mist", so maybe go with the chrome/silver on those parts. I'm not a purist at all, so I'm not knocking whatever you choose, but straying too far might look odd. But it is YOUR tractor, so do as you please. Looking forward to this project!:thumbs:

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to the site and congrats on getting the tractor. It must be the one I saw on Rochester's craigslist, it was really hard for me not to go after it myself but I'm short on time,money and space. You must have jumped on it quick, I was going to post the ad on this site but it was already gone. Sounds like a great tractor and a good deal. I think the powder coating is a good idea, especially because you own a powder coating business. It is something that will set your tractor apart from others. Also you could take it to shows, it would be good advertising for your business and a lot of people like to see something different. The only drawback for me is if it is in really good original condition it would be hard for me to change it, it's only original once.
The N.Y. Pageant of Steam in Canandaigua NY is featuring Massey Harris and Massey Ferguson next year(2011). I plan on bringing some of my GT's to show. It would be cool if you could bring your MF14 and a great place to advertise your business. I look forward to seeing your tractor and now I'm thinking about having you powder coat one of mine. I use it in the woods a lot dragging out fire wood and it's always getting scratched up.

#8 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:53 AM

yup was on craigslist ,I e-mailed him about 15minutes after he posted ,,I was so fast he thought I was a scammer LOL,,

I wont stray to far from the original colors ,the grill/bumper the rims in chrome (but its really a bright silver)
not sure if I want to use flake in the red ,but wouldnt it look sweet
no neons ,or blues or greens

just the stock colors kicked up a notch

broken2 anything you neeed shoot me a message

my JD guys do shows /parades so Im sure I will be talked into it --the hood will be 1st and should have it done in a few weeks

where can we get decals the powder job wont be worth a damn if I cant get these

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Contact Tony at lawngardendecals@yahoo.com. He makes a very complete set, also including warning, instructional decals...complete. Here's his website also for a look. Maple Hunter Decals Texas Web Site

#10 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 12:25 PM

heres a few pics to give ya an Idea on color ,

heres candy red (no flake)
Posted Image

heres the chrome silver ,not the best pics Im a painter LOL
Posted Image

and the red is from a 61 cub cadet and the green is from a 216 or a 420
Posted Image

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 12:34 PM

It looks sharp. I might have to have you do some powder coating for me when it comes time to build my puller.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 12:44 PM

VERY nice! Either red would look sharp! The silver is perfect.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 01:31 PM

WOW that looks nice.

#14 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:46 PM

WOW that looks nice.

VERY nice! Either red would look sharp! The silver is perfect.

It looks sharp. I might have to have you do some powder coating for me when it comes time to build my puller.

heres a better pic of the red on the same part better show how the candy looks
(for the people who dont know )
Posted Image

Thanks for the kind words ,I have more pics of other tractors but most of the time stuff goes out and no pic has been taken ,people want there parts I want my money LOL nature of the beast...
my powder colors are approved by the manufacture while I could OEM match all the factory colors no problem.. to me that is boring ,,I like to think what I am doing is stock kicked up a notch

if you guys have any questions or comments I look forward to them any powder coating you need done let me know I UPS daily

Edited by thecoater, July 04, 2010 - 11:55 PM.
adding a pic

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 08:28 AM

My first true motorcycle was a Honda Super 90. I spray can painted it candy apple. Came out pretty good for spray can too. Always liked Candy Apple! I think the tractor would be best straight Candy without flakes. The silvers would have flakes to contrast with the Candy. How do you price out your work?