10 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ok, so I don't have any pics, yet (will get some soon) but I traded my Serf for a G9 and just wondering how I did. It looks pretty good for it''s age, runs good (smells like it may be starting to burn oil). Does not have any lift on it, tires are good and tranny seems fine. The guy told me he was trying to make it faster so he switched the pulleys around but it still was too slow for him. I figured he had just changed them a little, but when I first drove it, it went about 30! So, I am switching pulleys back. I know that these are very subjective but I am just trying to get a ballpark. Thanks.

Edited by middleageddeere, June 03, 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 09:56 AM

The G9 was made from 76'-77'
You don't see too many G9's around and there's not a whole lot of information on them.
Did you get any attachments with it?
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sorry, meant to take pics today...the day got away from me. I will get them tomorrow. No attachments. I didn't realize how rare they were. I thought it was one of the common ones. I am pretty sure the 8 horse on it is getting close to wore out. Anyone know a good replacement? Can anyone guess at the value? It doesn't really matter cause it was a good trade, he got what he wanted and so did I.

#4 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:23 AM

Here are the pics. Anyone know if these have a posi rear end? If I go to pull it (out of gear) I have to either lift one wheel up or drag both stationary wheel.

Attached Thumbnails

• G9-1.jpg
  • g9-2.jpg
  • g9-3.jpg
  • g9-4.jpg

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Theres a pin on the right side hub that needs to be pulled out to free wheel.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 02:14 PM

The Bolens transmission uses a worm gear to drive the rear end. That's why it won't allow the wheels to spin.

Depending on how long it's been in place, those free wheeling pins can take some work to get removed. Give it a try first, but you will most likely need to hit it with a good penetrating oil like PBblaster, and let it 'work' for a while. On my 800 that I know sat for 25+ years without moving, it took over a week of spraying it every day, followed by taking off the right rear wheel, and using a large diameter bolt and driving it out. Once out, I made sure to grease it before re-installing it.

One of my tractors just happened to be in the right spot to see it, so I took a pic of the pin we are talking about.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4222.JPG

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:47 PM

So, ok back to value...? And does that mean it is not posi rear end? Thanks by the way...

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:52 AM

middleageddeere, I will do my best to give you a value on the G9. First off I do not think that the G9 has a locking tranny, though I have never seen one in person. If it does not have a locking hub on the end of the left axle it does not lock. Along with the probable tired motor that you have mentioned and the lack of a grill or lift arm being gone and the lack of a deck along with pully mods, I would say about $100. Hope this helped.

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 01:12 AM

The G9, G10, and G11 do NOT have the controlled differential. As far as I know, they are the only gear driven tube frames that don't have it.

ETA:

OOOOOOPPPSSSS...I forgot the original tube frame...the 600 :blush2: :blush2:

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 06, 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 05:30 AM

middleageddeere, I will do my best to give you a value on the G9. First off I do not think that the G9 has a locking tranny, though I have never seen one in person. If it does not have a locking hub on the end of the left axle it does not lock. Along with the probable tired motor that you have mentioned and the lack of a grill or lift arm being gone and the lack of a deck along with pully mods, I would say about $100. Hope this helped.

Thats what I would value it as well, due to the fact it has been chopped up/ Modified

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Cool, thanks guys.