#46 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 10, 2010 - 12:05 PM

Looking at that frame, I don't see how any type of media blasting would provide a better job then what your photo depicts. I have a few things on my plate at the moment but designing and constructing one of these electrolysis stripping tanks will be my next project. When I get it done, I'll post some pics in a new thread and take all the credit for inventing the idea. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#47 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 10, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Looking at that frame, I don't see how any type of media blasting would provide a better job then what your photo depicts. I have a few things on my plate at the moment but designing and constructing one of these electrolysis stripping tanks will be my next project. When I get it done, I'll post some pics in a new thread and take all the credit for inventing the idea. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I believe ole "Mother Nature" gets the credit, after all, twas she that used electrolysis to put the rust there in the 1st place!:smilewink:

#48 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 11, 2010 - 07:33 AM

Looks like it did a great job of cleaning right down to the "bones" thanks for taking us along on the project with pics and your explanations.
Peter

#49 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted July 11, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Daniel & Chuck thanks for the great wright up and pics. Cleared up a couple of questions I had floating around my head. Been thinking of making a tank for a long time. 5 gal bucket would work for me. Just some small parts and a few nuts and bolts that would be nice to clean up instead of wire brushing.

jhn9840
John

#50 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 11:58 PM

You've inspired me and it was worth it! Got this half-barrel at the local consignment auction and welded up a frame to drop inside. I added some "set-screw" type bolts to hold in the rebar and when I'm finished with my on-going experiment (probably winter when I have to drain it) I want to come up with a better way to hang the parts but am finding that with the variety of sizes/shapes the chunk of timber seems to do the trick for now. I will put in a PVC ball valve for easier draining as per Hydriv's idea. Damn. Went to upload pics and realized they are on a different computer. I'll have some soon (if I can get the wife off of Hulu and Facebook for awhile). Got to the other computer. Here's a couple pics...

Electrolysis 004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Electrolysis 001.jpg

Edited by jdslednut, August 25, 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#51 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 01:29 AM

Well, the frame is ready for paint prep work.

Posted Image

how much total time did this take I could strip this with my blaster in about 30 min inside and out down to white metal EASILY

looks like it did its job I just do not see how it would be faster than a blaster

#52 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 05:07 AM

how much total time did this take I could strip this with my blaster in about 30 min inside and out down to white metal EASILY

looks like it did its job I just do not see how it would be faster than a blaster

It's not faster than a blaster. For me, speed isn't the issue because I don't care about speed one iota. With this method, all you need is the tank, water, soda and a charger. With a blaster, you need a substantial air compressor that is going to run continuously to provide adequate volumes of air at 90 psi minimum and consume quite a bit of fossil fuel or electricity in doing so while suffering ongoing wear and tear. You will go through bags of blasting media that will fly everywhere unless you build some sort of containment system to try and confine it. The blasting media costs money and while it can be recycled to a degree, it does wear out. Every time you recycle the media, it becomes less effective. It doesn't cut as fast so it takes longer to do the job.

The other factor is how you value YOUR time and blasting does take time. It's dirty, messy, hot, sweaty work. The media gets everywhere UNLESS you own a huge blasting cabinet and are able to stand outside and put just your arms inside the cabinet to control the blast nozzle. Even so, you must stop and reposition the item being blasted.....often many times. With a big cabinet, you also have to have some sort of dust extractor system so you can see what you are doing. There are other issues as well.

With the tank, you just suspend the item in the solution, connect the wires, turn on the charger and walk away. For me, if it takes 2 days to totally strip a frame, that's OK. I have lots of better things to do with my time than to use a blaster. I have lots of better things to spend my money on than having to go chase bags of blasting media, haul them home, store them until needed, muscle them over to my blasting tank and constantly refill it. And then spend more time cleaning up after the blasting operation. Thanks but no thanks....give me tanks instead. Slow? Maybe.... but cheap, effective, simple, hassle-free are the things that I prefer so I'm looking forward to executing my tank design shortly.

I have given a lot of thought to how I will build my tank and have pretty much gathered up all the materials I need from stuff that I've had hanging around for years and can now put to good use. The thing is......I already own a blaster and I own a large shop compressor with an 80 gallon tank with a 3 hp motor. I have bags of blasting media and I've done blasting of heavy-truck frames, springs and axles. I've experienced having the sweat pouring off my head, my little window fogging up and having to move it so I can see out of the leather hood better. Been there, done that and learned to despise every aspect of it. So that's why I'm totally pumped about this process. You'll just have to make up your own mind as to which is better for you.

#53 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:24 AM

If we all could afford such a blaster & compressor as I am sure you have, then we would likely never consider electrolysis. You do within your means.

#54 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:25 AM

I have given a lot of thought to how I will build my tank and have pretty much gathered up all the materials I need from stuff that I've had hanging around for years and can now put to good use. The thing is......I already own a blaster and I own a large shop compressor with an 80 gallon tank with a 3 hp motor. I have bags of blasting media and I've done blasting of heavy-truck frames, springs and axles. I've experienced having the sweat pouring off my head, my little window fogging up and having to move it so I can see out of the leather hood better. Been there, done that and learned to despise every aspect of it. So that's why I'm totally pumped about this process. You'll just have to make up your own mind as to which is better for you.[/QUOTE]

olcowhand I understand and am interested in this just wondering about the details

BUTTTT I would never use a 3hp 80 gallon,hell it could be 1000 gallon 3hp is not enough cfm to do anything! you will run out of air long before media, you will kill it for sure

I own industrial equipment which Im sure puts me in a different class but 30 min is 30 minutes fresh air hood with cool air for summer or warm for winter no fogging

with the right tool for the job theres nothing that cant be done not saying this would not be good for somethings but time wise I dont see this being more effective

you can always take it to a professional blaster and be 50$ or so out the door

but saying that you have a 3hp 80 gal compressor and thats would work for blasting is just WRONG -my pressure pot runs @60 psi MAX and hold 300lbs of media and will last an easy 2 hrs

Edited by thecoater, August 25, 2010 - 08:28 AM.
olcowhand got a post in while I was replying

#55 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:54 AM

Would you care to take a poll to see how many members here own a 300 lb pot and a 125 cfm compressor on a trailer (example) to keep that pot fed with air? And if your compressor is not gasoline, propane, natural gas or diesel powered, then your electric motor is being fed by three-phase power and that's not available in your average residence.

This thread was about helping the backyard GT restorer who is looking for an effective way to strip parts. Getting away from grinding wheels, sanding discs, wire cup brushes etc is the issue. Finding a low-cost environmentally sound method to accomplish the same end-product as one would get by media blasting is also the issue. If you are fortunate enough to have what you have at your beck and call, then fine. But it's hardly reasonable for someone who owns a float plane to make a comparison to those who must drive their SUV's to the cottage and that's pretty much what you are doing here.

Plastic 55 gallon drums are not hard to come by for either free or little money. Rebar can often be scrounged up for free or at low cost. Most people own a 10 amp battery charger already. Water is available from their garden hose and washing soda can be bought at the local supermarket for less than ten bucks. The only advantage I see to blasting is speed for those who just gotta have it instantly. Why spend 50 bucks to go to someone in the blasting biz when you can stick this barrel outside your garage and come back hours or perhaps a day later and get the same result for nearly free? You don't have to drive to the blasting place nor drive back again to pick the item up. All of that costs money and time too.

Sorry but... you're trying to compare apples and oranges here and that just ain't reasonable IMO.

#56 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:56 AM

Total work time on my frame was longer than blasting would take, no doubt....IF you had a blaster capable. On this frame, putting in the tank & the light brushing & cleaning after tanking would likely be about an hour & a half.
I do have enough air, but my cabinet is too small for large frames, so I would have to use my 40lb pot blaster outside, and it just makes a mess everywhere. To have plenty air, I simply run hose between my farm shop compressor & my personal shop compressor. 11hp total, not sure of the cfm, but plenty for my blasters. But I'm going with my electrolysis to avoid the mess. Drop it in the tank & go do something else. Take it out & clean it off whenever it suits you. Leaving it in the working solution doesn't harm the good metal, so time is not crucial.
As to taking it to a pro blaster, most of us hobbiests have to do things as cheaply as possible or we couldn't afford to have hobbies. That $50 saved can buy parts or paint. ALL the pro blasters around here have a $100 minimum anyway.
You must remember, we are not pro's, but ordinary guys with ordinary tools, and many times severely crippled wallets. Having all those industrial tools has surely fogged your memory of NOT having them I suppose. We pride ourselves in the old saying "git-r-done", and we can, just not in the speed you can. You do your work to make a living, & if we were making a living, we'd have to have the equipment you do. I'm not trying to poke at you at all, as I like your work.:thumbs: It's just that we operate at a different level & we like where we are. :smile1:
  • tractor buddy said thank you

#57 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 09:00 AM

You do within your means.

I agree with this statement 100% and am not knocking this way at all ,Im actually very interested in it !

this could easily be incorporated into what I do I may have a 4x4x4 tank made just for this

time is money and to some the time is more valuable than money

#58 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Imagine if you built a tank that was large enough to crane tag-a-long equipment floats into it after removing the tires, electrical and brakes? The mind verily boggles.:D

#59 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 06:49 PM

This is the one I put together about a month ago.
Works well and it does it job while I sleep. Next morning all set to go.
The demo piece I have in the Pics had a decal where the red paint remained. It will not take paint off under decals I guess.:confuse:IMG_0550.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0551.jpg
  • IMG_0549.jpg
  • IMG_0547.jpg
  • IMG_0548.jpg

#60 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 07:35 PM

Once things settle down here a little bit I am going to get something setup. I scored a big tank from work for free. It is one of those 250 or 500 gallon tanks, maybe more I don't know but you usually see them with hydro fluid or other chemicals and it has a metal cage around it. I don't know if I will be able to fit a whole frame in it but it will be close. I am going to make it a little shorter and keep the cage around it and maybe incorporate it into the electrodes somehow.