• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• Member No: 3203
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:01 PM

So I have got a little more work done on the loader rebuild this weekend. Well really I only got the trans tunnel, dash, hydro pump off. I know that for most that may be a quick thing but due to "Life" I am going through a serporation currently so time is limited. (really sucks) Anyway I was able to get some wheels on it sunday morning and pressure wash the engine and drive-line/chassis down. It was covered in grease. I was plaining on doing a full rebuild but I just dont have the energy right now and I also need to use this thing in about 2 months. So a question would be at this point in the tear down, (pictures tom. hopefully for a better look) what would you guys do and for the cleaning and paint. I was just plainging on using a cleaning spray and brush on paint for the chassis and driveline and the tunnel and dash and hood spray. And also since this thing has the loader does anyone have suggestions for the brakes ( adjustment/rebuild)

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,813 Thanks
  • 6,822 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have the same loader on my 2418 , your bucket looks wider I'm thinking mine is just 36" , I never revered the wheels like Ryan said because they would be even wider then the bucket . I have ag's and chains on mine all year round but the only time I tear up the ground is going into a load and then getting the wheels spining but you'll get that with any tire . Might want to add some kind of weight for the back too . Just to give you an idea , I have my rear tires fllled with 100lb of wheel weights on each side and the for the winter use a weight box I made of cement . Something to check is make sure you don't have a cracked frame in the area around the rear housing , mine was broken when I bought it which was the cause of the broken transmission . Did you get the snow blade made for that loader too ? Al

Edited by Alc, June 11, 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#18 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Well I have not been able to get time to work on the PK. I am a little bit unsure of what to do. The previous owner had the trans tunnel removed and cut out sections to be able to open up the trans. tops. Now since I want to paint soon would you guys weld the cut sections back on or would you clean them up and leave it at that.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0500.JPG
  • DSCN0502.JPG
  • DSCN0493.JPG

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,240 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 09:51 PM

They probably had a problem with jamming. I would fix the shifter buttons and then reweld those pieces back in.

#20 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:45 PM

You ever hear that voice in your head saying ( this is to much work/ when will this be done/ or why did I start this?) Welp i keep asking myself this question but oh well now. Any way just wanted to update with some shots and what not. I guess i will inspect the frame and clean some more then paint. Not sure what to do about the engine yet............

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0503.JPG
  • DSCN0505.JPG
  • DSCN0508.JPG
  • DSCN0509.JPG
  • DSCN0511.JPG

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,433 Thanks
  • 41,029 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:43 AM

I know that feeling, should I or shouldn't I? It's looking good and you will be pleased when it's all over and the dust settles. Hang in there!

#22 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:53 PM

well I just wanted to update on the project that I have started. I am finally down to the bare frame now. I will be welding support on the front beam nut to reenforce the security. I will also be welding a extension on the rear lower 3pt. braces to adapt my cat. 1 arms. Due to the size of them and the rear gear boxes rubbing i have to extened them. Can anyone advise me on any other inspections that should be done at this point???? I did not set out to do a full restore but now I guess thats what I am doing.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0518.JPG
  • DSCN0519.JPG
  • DSCN0521.JPG
  • DSCN0522.JPG
  • DSCN0520.JPG

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,369 Thanks
  • 29,093 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I am hoping your don't have any leftover parts ;)

Looking good, isn't it funny how you start to fix just one thing and the next thing you know, youve run out of stuff to take apart.
Good luck, and thanks for the update.

#24 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Your PK is coming along really nicely. I would look over the frame and inspect the welds for cracks. I haven't heard any issues with problems on the PK, so you should be OK. Good Luck !!

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,240 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Looks like you are disassembled as much as possible! I would check every weld on there, the company was notorious for having bad welders. I would also look for cracks, everywhere. Especially on the rear of the frame where the blocks slide into the tubing, that is a common place for cracking.

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 30,433 Thanks
  • 41,029 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Wow! You should be able to check it all out that way. Follow the advice above and you should be very happy when it's all back together!

#27 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 01:34 PM

So i am on my way to williams indiana for the week anyone know of any gt shops to visit or any pk parts places in this area?

#28 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:27 PM

So just a drop in to update. I finally got the frame sanded and primered along with the seat/tunnel mount and steering box. I also in the third photo welded an extension on for the lower 3 pt. arms. A lot more to come.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0526.JPG
  • DSCN0524.JPG
  • DSCN0525.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 30,433 Thanks
  • 41,029 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 03:01 AM

That's coming along nicely. I hope we get to see more on this. I enjoy these kind of threads, gives me more insight into brands I know little about.

#30 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Well i am still primering everything. Im still unsure of the painting process.. it will work out i hope. Anyway i broke down the 2 transmissions and found that the reduction trans needs to be broke down and i need yo weld the tip due to it getting stuck in gear selection. I am thinking about cuting down the length of the gear lever. Has anyone done this.