• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• Member No: 3203
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well i have a PK 1614 that i have owned for the past 2 years and a couple weeks ago I came across another 1614 with mower deck and FEL for a -OK- deal. Well today was my B-Day and i decided to pick it up. The engine seems to run great except for a flat spot about full throttle and the tandom trans is stuck in high gear. I removed the cover and everthing works and slides but the gear handle that switches between the two shafts is worn so i am assumming that replacment is needed. I am undesided if i am full restore or not. So far noone talked me into it. Anyway more photos as we go....

Edited by Closha63, June 02, 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Happy birthday to you! A new shift lever will set you back about a hundred bucks. You can weld the shifter button and grind it back into shape. Its very easy and I have done four so far and the first one took less then an hour to take the rod out of the cover, weld and grind then put it back into the cover. Do you know what year it is? If not, get the serial number and we can look it up very simply. I look forward to your pics!

Here is how you can fix the shifter, I would recommend you do both while you have the body tunnel off.
http://www.speedextr...x_files/t92.htm

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Happy Birthday.
Did you stick a bow on it or wrap it? Just to keep the suspense up, make yourself try to guess what it is. LOL

Sounds like a nice tractor, looking forward to pictures.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Wow, What a great Birthday present to yourself. I would like to see some pictures when you get the chance. We LOVE pictures!! :thumbs:

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 05:30 PM

:happybday: And congrats on the present to yourself!

Ryan313 will give you the help and advise you need, he is a pro on those PK's.

I look forward to seeing dome pictures! Good luck with it.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 05:53 PM

The nice thing about buying your own present is you get what you want!
Happy Birthday, and good luck with your "new" tractor

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Happy Birthday! Hope the present is all you hoped it would be! LOL Have a great time with it!

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Now that is a birthday present worth talking about. Hope your day was great.

#9 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Happy Birthday!! That's my idea of a great birthday, there's never anyone better that you to pick out a great gift! :laughingteeth:

Matt

#10 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ok i am trying to get some pictures loaded on to here but i am having a difficult time. Help anyone?????

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Try this video:
http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

#12 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well i have tryed to post some pictures but I have failed. It keeps telling me that it times out during loading or something. Anyway i have many questions that I hope you guys can help me with. first would be about the tear down of the PK 1614. I have never fully restored a tractor like I would like to but I am going to give it another shot. What is a common tear down and restore procedure that you guys do. I am not sure how far I really need to go. And one big thing stopping me is the hydro. lines. What type of fluid should I use to replace and also can you guys post some pictures of how you routed youe lines for the rear cylinder and for the FEL. Can't wait to get your feed back and help................

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 09:25 PM

First, let's figure out the year. Once we get the year it will make everything easier. If you can find a serial number or just describe the loader and body tin shape it would help tremendously. Depending on the year it will have a different style loader and I may or may not have pics of the hydraulic lines. You can just label everything no draw diagrams to help with that if you want to.

You can tear this down as much or as little as you want. I have seen people take it down to a bear frame and I have seen people leave everything in the driveline and engine in. If you want to do a 100% restoration you will probably have to tear into it more then if it was just a paint job. I will post pics of restorations other people have done tomorrow. I am using my phone and can't post pics.

That reminds me, there are videos on how to upload pics on the site. I don't know where they are. Lol. But I know somebody will post a link to the videos for you soon. I would look but again, im using my phone.

#14 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Well sorry i did not specify. The one that I am tearing down is a 1975 with loader/tiller/60" deck and sickel. For the loader my main thing is using the right fluid and the correct amount. Also I am looking to be able to unmount the loader arms from its frame mount so i can use for other things so does anyone have suggestions for how to route the plumming. I know that quick connects will be needed so they are going to be installed. Also I am a big picture guy. visuals help me as well as the writing so if you have both that would be awesome. For painting do most guys just sand and paint/ sand, primer and paint/ just paint?? Im am thinking of spraying the fenders tunnel metal and the hood and dash them brushing the frame and loader so that it is thicker. Plus a question for the tires would be that I have the Ag tires with wheel weights and i hate that it tears the grass up in ereas so has anyone had luck with like a LT truck tire with weight and also has anyone found a nice front tire conversion to make it a little wider?????? PLease pictures if you can. Again thanks for the help and advise.

Posted Image

Edited by Closha63, June 07, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I can see your pic! It worked this time. :thumbs: That is a very nice looking fel! Is the other a parts tractor or just missing the hood?

It turn out that there is a FEL manual in the manual section. It might have the line routing you need. There are also a bunch of other manuals that might help. I know that there is a manual for the '75 Power Kings and Jim Dandys in there. Here is a link to it.
http://gardentractor...tor-fel-manual/

Here is a topic that discusses painting techniques, it might help you out some.
http://gardentractor...ing-techniques/

When you say you want a wider front, do you mean a wider stance or a wider tire? They are just average spaced lugs so just about any five lug tractor tire should fit on it. The hub is just a standard trailer hub so trailer wheels will also work. You can just find a wider tire with a wider wheel and change them. If you want a wider stance just flip them to face outward like the are on the tractor with no hood.

For winter snow duty I put some truck tires onto my '75 with a set of aggressive chains. Personally, I would leave the AGs on but I can't tell you what to do, I can only give advice. Some people use turfs with loaders but it seems like those people are normally not satisfied with them. If you are using it for work where you don't need the traction I say go for it!

Since you say you like pics, here is my winter set-up on the '75.
Posted Image