tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Man, with all that for $155 you did have a great day. I have a Troy Built Horse with the 8HP Kohler Magnum and it will tear up the ground. You'll like the tiller for sure. Looks like a really nice welder too.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 04:52 AM

I have all the SN dates for older TBs I will post it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:31 AM

I haven't had time to look at it closely but I know there are some pulleys under the cover behind the engine. Camshaft is used to drive the reverse! That may make it difficult to repower if needed. I'm hoping the engine is just in need of carb work but I think I'll order a HG and take a look at the piston,cylinder etc. I hope it wasn't run without the air cleaner. It doesn't look like it has many hours on it. Most people with small gardens wouldn't use one of these for more than a few hours a year.

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 05:50 AM

Today was an unusual day. I am not usually lucky in finding good deals like this. It looks like the tiller may be a 1986 model. The ser. No is M60452. I couldn't find any specific info on Tec engine man. dates It's an H35-45593R Ser 6002B. I didn't have time to look anywhere but the Tec. site and it doesn't seem to give info for older stuff. The 6 should be the year of manufacture which would be 86. The parts manual is dated 85 so that makes sense. This machine is a good size for my small gardens. It's a bit larger than the 3HP MTD till-it that I am using now and I'm sure it will be a whole lot easier to use.

I looked through my SN list for the older TB's and the list only goes through 1983, and your was made after that.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for checking. I think it's an 86. I'm looking forward to using this. My existing tiller is smaller and is constantly digging in too deep and has to be pushed or rocked side to side to keep it moving. The drag is all the way up. It's always done this and since it's small it takes about 3/4 of an hour to do a small garden. It's a pretty good workout . I'm hoping this will be easier.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 06:06 AM

I have uploaded the list.

http://gardentractor...t-through-1983/
  • MH81 and JDBrian have said thanks

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'll see if I can get the manuals - Operators and Parts scanned and up load them as well. Thanks again.

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 11:36 AM

I haven't had time to look at it closely but I know there are some pulleys under the cover behind the engine. Camshaft is used to drive the reverse! That may make it difficult to repower if needed. I'm hoping the engine is just in need of carb work but I think I'll order a HG and take a look at the piston,cylinder etc. I hope it wasn't run without the air cleaner. It doesn't look like it has many hours on it. Most people with small gardens wouldn't use one of these for more than a few hours a year.

We have a A/C 5hp front tine tiller from the mid70's that had a Briggs on it with that same camshaft drive for reverse on it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Very nice scores Brian! Hope that you get the Tiller running! It's always great to find good stuff at great prices like that!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Steve, it's a pretty nice little tiller. Well made and I hope I can get it running without much fuss. The entire air cleaner assembly with a new filter element is only 20$. I am itching to get to it some time soon but it's not a high priority.

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Nice score Brian!! You will love that little tiller! Especially for cultivating between rows. The smaller unit is very nimble compared to the larger units. I have a 1 yr old Troy-Bilt Super Bronco and while it's a bit smaller than I like(with over 6000 sq ft of garden) it is a great little machine.
Still looking for a Horse to rebuild for the bigger jobs. But the little guy will always have a place in my shed too..
  • JDBrian said thank you

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Those Horse tillers are few and far between up here and when they come up for sale they are still demanding high prices and sell really fast. For my small gardens this is actually a better fit. Right now I have 2 garden plots totalling maybe 1200sqft. I want to add more but due to the nature of my property they will also be small plots.

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Those Horse tillers are few and far between up here and when they come up for sale they are still demanding high prices and sell really fast. For my small gardens this is actually a better fit. Right now I have 2 garden plots totalling maybe 1200sqft. I want to add more but due to the nature of my property they will also be small plots.

Brian it's the same in this area, which is why I've yet to find one at the price I was willing to pay.