• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:17 PM

There was a neighbourhood yard sale today starting at 8:00. I wanted to hit this sale because last year there was a fellow selling a lot of tools and I had no cash at the time. I had to help my wife setup for a craft sale nearby and after that (9:30) I headed for the sale. I was about 1/4 mile for sale when in the distance I see a lady putting a price tag on some piece of equipment. As I'm driving by I see it's a small Troy Built tiller and an elderly gent is giving it a good look. I figure it's sold but as I approach he walks away. It looks pretty good but dusty and the price is 40$. I say I'll take it and it has the manuals with it. The engine feels like it has compression and there is oil in the motor but the air cleaner is missing. They tell me it hasn't been used for about 10yrs. The lady selling it says, "My son will be happy, this money is to help send him to do volunteer work in Africa". The young man in question appears and helps me load it into the car. I ask him about Africa and he seems keen to go so I give him another 20$.
I unload the tiller and head out looking for the tool guy. Sure enough he is there with tons of tools and hardware for sale. I got a MAC compression tester, a Drill press vise and a Stick welder with 10lbs of rods all for 95$. He is a retired mechanic and just doesn't have space for all the stuff he has saved up over the years.
I notice the throttle linkage on the tiller is messed up and that's probably why the air cleaner is missing. Someone may have tried to sort it out and then gave up and the air filter got lost. I haven't touched it yet but the gas tank has that "this doesn't even smell like gasoline" odor when you take the cap off. Carb cleaning and fuel system flush for sure.
Heres some pics

DSCF7721.jpg DSCF7719.jpg

DSCF7720.jpg DSCF7722.jpg

DSCF7717.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:27 PM

JD., You did very well on picking up the tiller and welder. That is a great vice and will work well on a drill press or mill. :thumbs:

If the tec doesn't come to life, you can always put a Kohler on it, ebay has them all the time for that model.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Brian,
Sounds and looks like a great haul.

Only thing they could sell this weekend up here are row boats. On the way home today I saw someone working on an ark.

Bill
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Looks like some good stuff! Good luck with that tiller!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:28 PM

I was lucky to get that tiller. The folks who had it for sale were late getting their stuff out and all the early morning bargain hunters were long gone. I just happened by at the right time. I've got the ser. No's and will see what year it is. The parts manual has 1985 on it so it is later than that. Got to round up an air cleaner canister and filter for it somewhere. I've wanted a drill press vise like that for quite a while. It's well used but still opens and closes smoothly.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Brian, I've never seen a "Junior" model before, that's a great haul. I know the Kohlers on the bigger ones fetch a pretty penny if you can find them.

Welder and vice look good too... Always a good day when you end it with more tools than you started with!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Nice additions to the collection, Brian! I think you did very well!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 06:00 PM

You have better yards sales in your area than I do!
I just find baby clothes and fat ladies clothes.
Glad you found some items you have been looking for!

Edited by KC9KAS, June 02, 2012 - 08:21 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Glad you found some items you have been loking for!

Today was an unusual day. I am not usually lucky in finding good deals like this. It looks like the tiller may be a 1986 model. The ser. No is M60452. I couldn't find any specific info on Tec engine man. dates It's an H35-45593R Ser 6002B. I didn't have time to look anywhere but the Tec. site and it doesn't seem to give info for older stuff. The 6 should be the year of manufacture which would be 86. The parts manual is dated 85 so that makes sense. This machine is a good size for my small gardens. It's a bit larger than the 3HP MTD till-it that I am using now and I'm sure it will be a whole lot easier to use.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Glad you found some items you have been loking for!

Same here, most yard sales are for ladies only. If I could find a sale like you did JDBRIAN, I would be out looking all the time. Nice tools to add.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:59 PM

That is a nice tiller it was made by Garden Way company before MTD bought them out, the new Troy Bilt tillers made by MTD are not made as good as the one you have.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#12 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Wow, I need to start coming to the yard sales in your neighborhood! :laughingteeth: Very nice finds! :thumbs:

Matt :orangecool:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#13 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Nice job on the tiller. They work good altho a little under powered. I had one of those and sold it to my son and it is tired. These use a pully on the the camshaft for the reverse. Kind if an unusual set up. That little tiller does nice work. The transmission and rear tine sumps are interconnected so the oil runs back and forth. Enjoy!!!
Kurtee
  • JDBrian said thank you

#14 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 09:45 PM

I bought a Horse model last year when a family member passed. I paid $300 for mine which I consider a bargain for the condition it's in. Mine has an 8 hp Briggs. What a help in preparing and maintaining my huge garden. The previous owner drove the 1 1/2 hrs to Troy NY and purchased it at the factory in 1981. Enjoy it. Great deal by the way even if you have to spend a little to get it running.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Good deals Brian. I usually don't have that kind of luck. Nice when you go looking for something and find it.