12 replies to this topic

#1 ardisius OFFLINE  

ardisius
  • Member No: 10062
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi folks

I have read http://gardentractor...-it-wont-start/, but my difficulty doesn't quite match.
  • Battery fine...motor spins freely
  • Cleaned the air filter
  • Checked fuel flow...fine
  • Checked spark plugs...both firing fine
  • Jumpered the seat safety switch...no help
If the fuel and air flow are fine, the plugs spark when turning over...logically, what more can it be? I'm not a mechanic so I'm not smart at pulling things to pieces further than plugs, filters, etc. but I've done all I can think of.

Any ideas, anyone? I would be very grateful.

Regards

Roy

Edited by ardisius, June 02, 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:29 AM

1ST off, Welcome to GTt!!.
Sorry to here you are having problems on the GT.

If the compression is good, and you have spark, Then if fuel was introduced to the mix it would start.

I am thinking you have fuel going into the carb, but it seems like the carb is blocked on the inside not allowing it into the cylinder.

I would take that carb off and give it a good cleaning.

Was this running recently? And have you checked compression yet?

Good luck!

#3 ardisius OFFLINE  

ardisius
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Very many thanks...

Yes the machine was running till a few days ago. I'll take the carby off and give it a clean. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • chris m said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 12:23 PM

Before dissambly, I would check to see what the compression is. You may be dealing with sticky valves, etc.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Will it run or try to run when you spray some fuel into the carb? Hopefully the carb is the problem but it could also be an ignition problem if the spark is not timed properly or not hot enough.

#6 ardisius OFFLINE  

ardisius
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for everyone's help...

I took the solenoid off the carby and drained a mixture of water and gasoline, so I thought that may have been the problem, but still won't start. It was working fine a couple of days ago! I don't have a compression tester but I believe I know where to borrow one and will try that...but won't be able to today, unfortunately.

Will post back Monday if possible.

Again...VMT [Very Many Thanks]

#7 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Welcome to GTT hope you get your GT running. The information members have posted is very good.

Edited by jms180, June 02, 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 03:14 PM

The solenoid on the carb blocks fuel until the key is in the on or start position. With it offf the carb, connect the solenoid's body to a ground, then turn key to "on" & see if the needle retracts. If it doesn't, then it is your problem (or not getting 12V). This solenoid is to prevent dieseling after being shut off. You can do without this solenoid IF you allow engine to slow idle a minute or so before shutting it off. So if the solenoid is not working, to get by without it until you replace it, or do without it for good, just grind the needle down all the way & reinstall.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Roy, first off let me welcome you to GTTalk. I have a GT3000 and the first thing I would do is pull the air cleaner and shoot some carb cleaner down the throut of the carb and then try and start it. Shot quit a bit in there. If the engine starts and then dies I would be looking at a problem with the carb. If nothing happens then you have a problem some where else.

You said you got water and fuel when you pulled the solenoid. If that is the case then I would bet you have corrosion inside the carb and you will need to disassemble it and clean it thoroughly. I would also change out the fuel filter and probably drain the tank as well. But before you go getting deeply into something, do the simple test above and report back.

#10 ardisius OFFLINE  

ardisius
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Sorry, folks, for being so long replying, but down here in Geawjah it has been raining almost non-stop for days (and my bahia grass is growing even as you watch it! Now almost three feet tall, and no tractor to mow it down with!!!)

I was going to do what WildBill suggested and spray carby cleaner into her, but now totally and absolutely dead in the water! Even jumpering it from my truck battery won't even give it a solenoid click!

Am I wrong, or does that sound like it's one of the safety switches? But it did at least spin over up until now! I've checked the seat switch, but haven't located the deck and brake safety switches (any clues?)

Meanwhile...out with my John Deere 18" walk behind—on an acre of lawn lol!

Thanks everyone

Roy

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Have you tried to put a slow charge to the battery? It the battery is to far down then jumping it may not work. I like to use a battery tender or floating point charger and let it sit for a day or so and I have had very good luck reviving batteries. You may also want to check out this thread http://gardentractor...a-dead-battery/ it could help you. Does the tractor sit out side or is it protected?

You all down in south GA have gotten a lot more rain then we have.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think there is a brake switch just about straight in from your left ankle. Also, my GT5000 will do this once in a while. I pull the pto switch in and out a couple of times and try it again. Always works after that, someday it just wont.

#13 ardisius OFFLINE  

ardisius
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Bill

Usually it is stored in my lock up shed. but the past couple of weeks it has been outside, but under the edge of my deck.

Need to borrow a slow charger and try reviving the battery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler 20hp, wont start, craftsman, 917.273481