DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 12:15 AM

I have a Ford flail mower, 917L, 60" cut.
I'm looking for a set of blades for it, # 86509415. Takes 96 of them.

Anybody know the best place to get them from and are there any substitutes that can be used?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have a Ford flail mower, 917L, 60" cut.
I'm looking for a set of blades for it, # 86509415. Takes 96 of them.

Anybody know the best place to get them from and are there any substitutes that can be used?

Dang!!! 96!!! :o I sure hope there a Penny a piece!!!
I'll add it to my list in my search folder, Good luck in the mean time :thumbs:

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 01:15 AM

I just checked New Holland. They are $4.71 each so $452.16 for 96 of them. I had to select a dealer from a list in order to see the parts. It said you can order online through the dealer. Not all dealers have that option.

I selected Klems in MA.

I'll keep checking for better prices.
  • DH1 said thank you

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 06:16 AM

My dad used to have a Mott flail mower on his Massey 35, it was about 7 ft wide....Great mower until you hita big rock or a bit of old fencing wire and it got wrapped around everything......I remember he used to complain about the cost of the blades and links then (1968)

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Wow, 500 for blades, plus shipping I assume.

Good luck Doug, I hope you find them close and cheap.

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Today I used the flail mower again, this time with new blades and it works much better, also ,made a couple of adjustments to the height and angle of the unit, still learning as to how it's suppose to be set up but at least it works a lot better than before.
I searched the net, asked questions before I got this mower as to what size I should get, how many HP per ft is needed to drive it and how it compares to a Finish mower. Most people said that it takes more power to drive a Flail mower vs a Finish mower of the same cutting width.
Well for the grass I'm cutting I'd have to say that it takes LESS HP to drive a Flail than a Finish on the same grass.
I cut this one field 2x now with the Flail and it burns less fuel and the motor doesn't load down any where near as much as what the Finish mower does, both are 5ft cut. I know a Finish mower is not suppose to be used for field cutting, most times the grass is 12" to 16" tall.
Flail mower leaves all the clippings on the grass you just cut, no windrows, and if you go over it a second time it get all the few spikes that were missed and chops up the clippings even more. Overall a better cut in long grass vs a Finish mower, the finish mower I have is side discharge.

If I had of known this I think I would of bought a larger Flail mower 5-1/2ft or 6ft vs the 5ft that I bought.
Also Blades for a Ford 917L Flail mower are $6.55 each, I bought 64 new, plus the spares that came with the mower, plus reversed the best ones that were on it and I now have a good set of blades on it.
Too much $$$ for blades. I plan on babying them.
If you buy a MOTT Flail mower, fine cut that is the same width, it will have more blades on it, about 150 vs 96 on the Ford, but they only cost $.62 each.
For a full set.
$629. for the Ford compared to $93. for a Mott is a huge difference.
The blades even look the same but the Ford ones are wider on the cutting edge, I don't think they would interchange.

If I had of known all this before I think I would of bought a MOTT mower, 5-1/2 or 6footer.

Live and learn
I like these Flail mowers I think I'm going to get me some more of them.

EF1

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Good to heaR YOU LIKE IT! I know shortly after I left home dad bought an international flail mower and ran it on a DC Case and later an International 404. He really liked it and said it would do a better finish job in rough going than any rotary he had used. And since he did a lot of custom mowing they were much safer since they would not hurl objects like the rotay.