• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ohio pk OFFLINE  

ohio pk

• Member No: 8394
  • 9 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:02 PM

on my 1989 520 hc the fuel pump wasnt pumping enough gas. bought a used one that was working. but when i installed it it did pump a little but not enough. what could cause this problem. it is a vacuum gas pump. wondering if i could use an electric pump on it. i hope there is something else that might be wrong. wanting and needing some expert advice from you experts and thanks in advance.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Check to see that the fuel lines, fuel tank are free, not plugged up.
Should have free flow of fuel to the pump.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:34 PM

I would say that it could very well be a restriction in the fuel line that's causing the problem like Doug said. It could also be an issue with the vacuum that drives the pump. Check the vacuum line on the engine and make sure that it's connected at both ends (should go from the timing cover to the back of the pump I believe) and that it's in good shape. You might also try to start the engine on carb cleaner and see if the pump starts working better.
You could use an electric pump on it, but those Onan fuel pumps are said to be bullet proof and rarely fail.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:12 AM

As everyone eles has said check all lines. Make sure that the vacum line is not cracked up and fits tight where it hooks up. A electric pump will work fine just make sure you get a low volum one.

#5 ohio pk OFFLINE  

ohio pk

• Member No: 8394
  • 9 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 03:18 PM

well i went threw and changed all the fuel lined and the vacuum line on the back. started but was starving for gas. after a few times it started running at the 3600 rpm on full throttle and about 1400 on low. tried to see what would happen when i put a load on and at full throttle it dropped down to about 2500 rpm's put it forward and it began to drop even more. new problem lol maybe i should just take it all apart redo everything. just got to keep the wife from knowing whats going on. so i got the feul problem licked i think. might have been cracked gas lines. any suggestions and sorry for the late feed back i dont have a chance to get on as often as i would like. and thanks for all the input.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Not sure how your tank pick-up is , if it comes from the bottom of the tank maybe you can remove the fuel line and see how the flow is coming out of the tank , My Ford Utility tractor has a fuel shut off screwed into the tank I wasn't getting good flow some but not enough , removed the shut off and found there was a pick-up screen on the inside that was all gummed up . A little carb cleaner was all that it needed . Al

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 03, 2012 - 08:47 PM

If it runs good for a few minutes then starts to act like it's starving for fuel, it could be the vent in the gas cap. It's amazing how a little thing like that can baffle you and have you chasing your tail. Hope you get it figured out soon!