20 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Whats the best thing I could do for a engine with alot of carbon build up on the valves and piston to clean it without a tear down? Theres got to be a great additive out there? Is there any old ideas that us younger or middle aged boys need to hear about?

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Both Sea-Foam and Marvel Mystery oil have their followers. I have used both for other applications but there seems to be a general feeling that both will work for removing carbon and sludge build up when used as a fuel additive.
  • redcarkids and goodnews have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:29 PM

I agree with Chris. And the Marvel can be added (small amount) to the engine oil to clean more!
  • redcarkids said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have never used it this way in a small engine but have used it several times by pouring it slowly into the vacuum hose from the brake booster on our vehicles. You have to give it some throttle or it will make the engine die out. I would think that you could put it in a squirt bottle and shoot it in the carb. to get the same effect. It will clean the carbon off of the valves and piston doing it this way in a big engine, so I would think it would have the effect on a small engine.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:45 PM

I've seen videos of this being done to a car and there was a lot of smoke so be prepared if you try this with your engine. If you have a head gasket you can just remove the head and de carbon that way. It also gives you a good look see at the cylinder. Excess carbon can wear the top edge of the piston and cause other problems.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think It would just be easier if you removed the head and cleaned the carbon that way.
It only takes minutes to remove the head

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:52 PM

I have drizzled water into a carb on cars to decarbon. The throttle needs to be held partially open to keep the engine from dying. The water worked well on the cars.

Geno

#8 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Both Sea-Foam and Marvel Mystery oil have their followers. I have used both for other applications but there seems to be a general feeling that both will work for removing carbon and sludge build up when used as a fuel additive.

i know about mmo but what is sea foam ? tell me more i might be missing a good thing. in Christ
10/4 on the diesel smoke

Edited by goodnews, June 01, 2012 - 04:29 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:15 PM

A couple months ago, My Murray 22 hp V Twin Briggs stuck a valve and was pushing compression back through the air cleaner. I attributed that to carbon build up?
It came loose on it's own. I am one of those avid advocates of Marvel Mystery Oil, so take this with a grain of salt.
I've been adding a little MMO to my fuel(I put a bit in a 5 gal can whenever I buy fuel to mix it) with each tankfull and engine oil. And have not had another problem.
And Believe me I've worked it hard enough if it did not work I would know by now.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 01, 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#10 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:17 PM

if the carbon build up is that bad i think i wood agree with doc pull the head and clean it then you will know whats happening . ( God is good give him praise it will change your life. in Christ)

#11 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 05:01 PM

I typically use sea foam on all of my stuff, and usually in the first tank after I make a purchase. I also frequently add tranny fluid to the oil for the first couple of mins to 'condition' the seals, and to clean itne insides of the oil galleys. before I make my first oil change...

I use seafoam on my cars in a couple of ways...first pour into my oil for a few mins before an oil change, next through the vacuum line...after the motor is hot, as soon as a cup is sucked through the vacuum line shut the motor off...let it sit till the motor cools and fire it back up...ya it is gonna smoke. And I add it to the gas in the tank.

That said, there is no harm in removing the head and taking a look at what is really in there and cleaning it up, .I'd not only remove the head but also clean the exhaust port all that you can readily get to.

I've not used Marvel...I am not a proponent of the 'fix' it oil conditioners...although some swear by them?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 05:52 PM

As Geno said, plain old water can do the same thing. If you had a way of metering a tiny amount, you could just let it run while it sucked in the water.
  • dstaggs said thank you

#13 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:20 PM

We had a mechanic that would drain part of the motor oil out and add type A transmission fluid. He said it would clean the carbon from the valves and rings. Let it just sit and run a while. Don't remember how long maybe a hour or so.

#14 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Great feedback from all, I have both sea foam and marvels. Both have come highly recommended from conversations here and at home. Has anyone heard of pouring a little of the marvels into the sparkplug hole? How about the sea foam? I was a little learly about mixing it with the gas and a oil on a small engine. I did add some to the gas but very little for fear of causing more problems. Am I safe to follow the mixing instructions on the cans for the small engines? I get a puff or a missfire with a little black smoke and noticed my sparkplug was turning black with carbon. Bare in mind this is not on my Bolens :laughingteeth: , its on a tecumseh 7 horse engine. :mad2:

i know about mmo but what is sea foam ? tell me more i might be missing a good thing. in Christ
10/4 on the diesel smoke

Sea-Foam can be bought at Wal-mart and is a fuel additive. I just heard about it myself a couple weeks ago and 3 people at work swear by it. 1 guy puts it in his oil after purchase and drives the car home to change the oil after running it about 20 min. Others have said it was great for spring start ups with old gas in the mowers and cycles. Some have said they have poored both of these in the spark plug holes to clean and lubricate the piston and valves. $9.00 at wally world.
  • goodnews said thank you

#15 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:15 PM

We had a mechanic that would drain part of the motor oil out and add type A transmission fluid. He said it would clean the carbon from the valves and rings. Let it just sit and run a while. Don't remember how long maybe a hour or so.

Was this on a car or on a small engine? :confuse: I have heard this one before for cars but never have done it. Fear again :confuse: