11 replies to this topic

#1 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • Member No: 10047
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi Folks,

New to this site. I've got a really cool little lawn tractor / mower that is a mid 50s vintage. Really one of the coolest things that I've ever come across while "picking" as they cal it now.

It has what I found to be a Clinton VS100 engine. Two lawnmower shops couldn't identify it. I really thought that I'd be able to get this mower's engine running. But....I really screwed up and broke the cranksharft with an impact gun. Too much torque. I know. Not my crowning acheivement. Multi tasking does not always pay off.

I've let this thing sit for the better part of a year cause I was sick about it. But I've got to get it going. I will need a crankshaft, plus some gaskets. I saw some crankshafts on ebay, but I don't know the part number. I found an exploded parts diagram, but the page with part numbers was not there. So, I need something.....

Anybody can advise??

gtrac1.jpg

gtrac2.jpg

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Welcome vwcity can't help you be there are some very sharp people here that I'm sure will be able to , Al
  • vwcity said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Depending on the location of the break, the crankshaft may be able to be saved.

If it broke at the threads, or just at the bottom of the threads, it can probably be repaired. ....It's not easy, but it can be done.

Basically, the broken part is drilled through the center (lengthwise) to allow a bolt (1/4" or 5/16") to pass through. .....The broken end of the crankshaft is drilled on center and threaded to accept the bolt.

The bolt is used to attach the broken piece of the crankshaft to the crankshaft. ....Accuracy is important, and aligning the theads of the crankshaft is imperative. ....Depending on the location of the break, it may be possible to use a nut to hold the broken piece in its proper location while drilling the correct size (tap drill size) hole in both pieces.

It may be possible to repair without dismantling the engine. ....If you don't feel you can do this work yourself, take it to a local machine shop and ask for their advice and a quote on having them repair it.

The above may, or may not, be easier than trying to obtain the correct replacement crankshaft.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc and vwcity have said thanks

#4 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Well, actually, I had been told that this could be done. I'd guess that I'd best try it at least. I was advised to get a tight machine thread bolt. I was just a little worried that with the flywheel spinning rapidly, that if it failed, I'd be seated might close to it! I will think about that. I've set this project aside too long!

Brian

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 03:06 PM

I broke the threaded end off a Kohler K241 crank like 20 years ago. I ground angles on the end of the broken stub and the crank so I could get a good weld penetration. Welded it with 7018 high tensile rod. I still have the welder the engine is on & never a problem.
  • vwcity said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:00 PM

:wave: vwcity! Welcome to GTTalk! I just added the parts guide for the VS100 to the manuals section. It's in the engine manuals under misc. engines, but you can Click Here to follow the link to it. Hope that this helps! Thanks for signing up!
  • vwcity said thank you

#7 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the link. That will prove very helpful!!!

#8 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:56 PM

:wave: vwcity! Welcome to GTTalk! I just added the parts guide for the VS100 to the manuals section. It's in the engine manuals under misc. engines, but you can Click Here to follow the link to it. Hope that this helps! Thanks for signing up!

#9 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 11:01 PM

I printed this parts guide out. Now, it says VS-100-4000. Mine is a VS1100. Does the guide mean it covers the span of VS100 through VS4000? I just want to make sure.

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:35 AM

I printed this parts guide out. Now, it says VS-100-4000. Mine is a VS1100. Does the guide mean it covers the span of VS100 through VS4000? I just want to make sure.

NO, the parts list covers Clinton model VS100 with variation numbers #4000. ......It does not apply to VS1100 engine models.

The confusion is because of your original posting having VS1100 appear in the thread title, but you named VS100 in the body of your post.

There would be a different Parts list for VS1100 models.
  • vwcity said thank you

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:44 AM

NO, the parts list covers Clinton model VS100 with variation numbers #4000. ......It does not apply to VS1100 engine models...

Sorry vwcity. I read it the same as you did. I'll look again later to see if I can scare up the right one.
  • vwcity said thank you

#12 vwcity OFFLINE  

vwcity
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hahaha okay, I messed up...I have been doing everythingon the fly. Yes, it's a VS1100. I am in the auto parts business, so I'm usually more careful with chassis numbers and part numbers. Doing something for myself and being "out of my norm" on the fly I'd guess is why I put the wrong number in the text. Okay. Anyway, I found a VS2100 on ebay....wondering is the crankshaft is the same as the VS1100...I'm gonna try to fix mine, but I'd love a backup if at all possible. I hoard anyway lol