• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • Member No: 9938
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:57 PM

My new SS12 arrived this morning. Medium pictures which link to huge pictures follow. I've already got the plow and duals off, and the mule drive on. As you can see in the side view the mower belt is on the outboard pulley and all of the documents say it goes on the next one inboard. Makes sense since the blades need to be moving pretty quickly. Problem is, that belt will not go onto the next pulley, even with the link arm disconnected and the mule drive shoved all the way in. Looking at the engine pulleys it's clear the previous owner couldn't get it on the right pulley either and ran it on that outboard pulley. Looks like it needs to be about an inch longer. Anyone know the correct part number or do I just need to measure and get one an inch longer from the local farm store?

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • tinner said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:08 PM

My manual lists 6941R as the correct belt #. Let me look for an x-ref.

And thanks for the pics, that's a great looking tractor!
  • whyaretwo said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:14 PM

Found a couple of places that say:

Dimensions:
•Width: 5/8"
•Length: 102-1/8"

No double checking on this, just a googled answer. Like everything else from google, trust-but verify.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Nice looking tractor. I looked that belt # up in the NAPA Belt Guide. It crossed to a BX100 Napa #.
BX100Belt.jpeg
It is 21/32 wide X 13/32 tall X 103". That's close to what Alan posted.
  • MH81 and whyaretwo have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Wow, that's a real beauty. Love that blue colour and the 3pt. hitch.
  • whyaretwo said thank you

#6 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for all of the complements, and the info on the belt!

The one that came with it turned out to be only 96 inches. I'd have been doing a lot of back and forth trying to get to 102 or 103 an inch at a time. I went with 5/8x102. I figure that gives it a little room to stretch as it ages. Worked like a champ and did my front yard in about 6 passes. Nothing like overkill to get a job done! :D

In person it's clearly been repainted but that metallic paint sure hides the brush marks if you're any distance away. So far the only things I can find wrong with it are just cosmetic nit-picky things that don't matter unless I was trying to make a show tractor out of it, which is not my intent. Biggest things I can see are the seat is wrong, (but I like the one it has better) the hood has a couple of dents in it, (oh no, dents in a tractor) and the hood ornament is missing. I can't really figure why a garden tractor needs a hood ornament. I do wish it had the hubcaps though. I was thinking hubcaps would look nice on it even before I found out the Super came from the factory with them. Don't think that's likely to happen though. I just can't see me paying a couple hundred dollars for hubcaps and that seems like what they're going for on the auction site.

Again, thanks!
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Glad you found a belt that works! I think overall that you have a very nice looking tractor, especially for a worker! Best of luck with it!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Glad the info helped and very good news that you got some seat time.
How's the cut? I always thought these decks did a decent job.

#9 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's the first time I've used anything other than a push mower so I'm still getting a feel for it. Considering that, I'm quite impressed with how it cuts.

#10 ric44 OFFLINE  

ric44

• Member No: 6514
  • 5 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:37 PM

I have a 1967 SS12 but my deck is different from yours. Im not 100% sure but I think your deck is for a later model tractor. Mine is heavier, more squared, not stamped like yours and mine utilizes all the attachment points on the front axle and I can see yours doesnt. Im attaching a pic so you can see the difference. The previous owner assured me mine was all original but cant be sure about that.
Posted Image

Edited by ric44, May 31, 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have a 1967 SS12 but my deck is different from yours. Im not 100% sure but I think your deck is for a later model tractor. Mine is heavier, more squared, not stamped like yours and mine utilizes all the attachment points on the front axle and I can see yours doesnt. Im attaching a pic so you can see the difference. The previous owner assured me mine was all original but cant be sure about that.
Posted Image

The white ones were the original decks, and yes, they were a little stouter. The black ones were a deck that Sears carried for years as a replacement deck for the SS, Super,GTxx and ST series.

I think they made at least two sizes (42 & 48") and the numbers I've found for the black deck are 917.253582 (42) and 917.253592 (48)

#12 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

Nice looking tractor! I'd love to have that original shade of blue on mine. I wouldn't be shocked if my deck is not original. It wasn't presented to me as an all original tractor. The more I see of these the less sure I am of what belongs and what doesn't. For example, every brochure I've seen shows the square seat with the mini backrest, but neither yours nor mine have it. Every brochure I've seen also has the "dash cowl" (for want of a better term) painted blue like mine, but yours is white and supposedly all OE. Perhaps in 67 it was white and in 68 it was blue, but what about the seat? If they changed those thing then did they redesign the deck for 68? It's definitely something I'd like to find more info on.

#13 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:15 PM

That's a nice looking 12. Not sure about what was what on the original tractors but love the way they look.

#14 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:25 PM

I just went to the catalogs. 1967 and 1968. My deck isn't correct for either year. Your deck is shown in either white or body color. Same for the "dash cowl." No tractor has our seat. In one shot the mule drive is body color. Looks like there was quite a bit of variability.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think the Suburbans had that seat for a few years. Maybe they offered the tin seat as a cost cutting option? Or maybe they've been replaced.