Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Scotts--- I Know, It Is Not Really A Deere...belt Burning Smell, When Let Off Brake?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:10 PM

another tractor story of sorts, so I delivered a JD 111 I sold, and when finished unloading, buyer said do you want this thing? Runs great,he said, but try to go and nothing happens(forward or reverse)--it's a hydro----
looked nice, so I said how much/ hoping for a really low price----immediately he says---FREE,
what would anyone do?
After not being able to start it, we loaded it up, and ---now at home, got it going-the 16 hp starts and runs flawless, but trying to get going, as soon as brake is fully released, motor wants to die and I can smell belt heating up. I took rear wheels off and I can sort of see a plastic? and another pulley, of course I could not see the belt in action cuz I do not want to keep it running just in case....
I'm thinking one of these pulleys is not turning since when I run it a bit---on a jack, one of the wheels turns very slowly, but it turns, but funny thing, the wheels do not turn in reverse, maybe cuz motor speed in not high enough?
Anyway, am I on the right track with the seized pulley theory?

again i apologize for posting this under the Deere heading....

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Is this one of the ones with the speed selector on the fender? If so, the variable pullies under the housing between your knees is a known trouble spot. If they seize on the shaft, something is going to slip a belt.

#3 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:45 PM

it has foot throttle,
but on fender it has 'cruise control' goes from 'off' position to fairly high speed---you can see the foot throttle moving when you set this lever....
it is a kohler 16 hp, with 42" deck--i think early 90's?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hmmm. Do you have a model number?

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 10:08 AM

A model no. or photos of the beast would be a help. In general you need to check everything between the motor and the transmission to find out where the problem is. Good luck. I'm not sure where you can get parts info on those. You could try JDParts.com to see if the parts diagrams are there.

#6 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 07:34 PM

hi Brian,
here is the mod. no.---42589X31
and here are pics- one is of the tensioner pulleys that turned as if some of the bearings are damaged, plus it has rubber on the faces, plus it is wobbly-not much but wobbly,, and last plus it has sticker on it as if it was replaced once already--, funny I can still read the part no. ---55951, -----sorry, one more plus---I just shook it and you can hear it rattle,
hope I can go to Enns, with this no. and they will say 'yep, got it in stock'.........

#7 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 07:40 PM

sorry- forgot the pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#8 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 09:30 PM

sorry- forgot the pics.

That’s Not a Deere Made Scotts so The JD website will be No Help. It's a Murray made Scotts. Murray Made Scotts Tractors for Home Depot Before Deere started Producing them for Home Depot In 1998. It actually One of the reasons Murray went Under. They Had done extensive re tooling for the Scotts Tractors When Home Depot went with Deere. Murray Never really removed From that and 7 years Later They went Under. What I suggest is You May want to contract Briggs & Stratton as Far as Replacement Parts Go. This will Probably Be You Best Bet http://www.outdoordistributors.com/ and You Might Be able to get Manuals & Part diagrams for it From the Link I Posted as well :thumbs:
  • zolt said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have a Murray Yard(or is it lawn?) Pro, originally a Walmart Machine. IT is a very capable machine used daily.
So far I've found any part I needed by going to the local True Valu.
They have a very competent small engine shop in the back. And have had no problem getting parts for the machine.
Seems like when I need something all they need is the model & Serial number and out comes the Oregan catalog and they have the part in a day or two.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 05, 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 04:51 AM

You should be able to get that pulley without much trouble. That is probably your problem but you should check the condition of the drive belt to make sure it wasn't damaged by the faulty pulley. Now is the time to change it while you have things apart!

#11 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:39 PM

thanks for replies,
especially the ones that offer some helpful hints-------, so i bought a pulley from deere, of course the ineer diameter is wrong(it takes a bushing)....really ticked, i should have checked myself, as the kid at the counter looked like he had a rough night and could barely funtion....anyway.....heading home tomorrow and we drive by the dealer anyway,
the part that has me worried is that this is a scotts not made by deere..... keeping my fingers crossed...
the belt probably is damaged,
again thanks,
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 rustbarn OFFLINE  

rustbarn
  • Member No: 10126
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:50 AM

the jd made scotts are a nightmare to change the belt on....i hope its not the same in your case....

#13 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:28 PM

this one seems ok, plus i got a princess auto garden tractor 'hoist'----so it is sitting nice and high,
----oh, and just got back from the jd dealer and for a $1.08, they had the right bushing!
i consider this a minor miracle....
now if it only gets a bit warmer, i'll go and put it all back together, and pray for a major miracle( that the hydro will move the tractor)

#14 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 01:48 AM

works beautifully, lots of power, got forward and reverse, but still a bit of belt smell---i guess the old belt has been damaged when it was not moving on pulleys.
hope a new one is not too exp.........

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:18 PM

works beautifully, lots of power, got forward and reverse, but still a bit of belt smell---i guess the old belt has been damaged when it was not moving on pulleys.
hope a new one is not too exp.........

Ahh, a pessimist. I don't finish a lot of my sentences. I claim it's because I don't want karma to kick in and kick me in the backside... Really it's just senility starting. So far, the kids buy my story, but they're starting to question... ;)