Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

210 Running Great, But When Try To Engage Deck....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:48 AM

hello again,
got my 'new' 210 running great----cleaned carb, put on fuel filter, new spark plug----cannot believe can. tire had plugs for this, as well as for my 185, :thumbs:
but, always a but, now when i try to put it into 3rd gear it pops out-- when tractor starts moving??
(hopefully just adjustment needed), :confuse:
Also, when I try to engage deck-it kills motor, feels and sounds like something does not want to turn?-- :confuse: :confuse: -of course if I was less impatient, I would take deck off, and check things out first----but it is soooooo... cold, honestly the month of March was better in Manitoba...

As always, any help or suggestions is/are appreciated,
thanks,

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Two thoughts....

The gear "pop-out" issue is common on the Peerless 2300 transaxle. It is a warning sign pointing to greater potential problems. The shift detent springs are like getting weak from age and/or the shift forks have worn. Either way can lead to a trashed transaxle. Time to replace them as it will only get worse.

The deck issue could be numerous things including:
- bad spindle bearings
- bad idler bearings
- belt-related

I would expect it to be a bad bearing some where or a belt jammed in a spindle under the protective cover on the deck. Remove the main drive belt and give the drive pulley on the deck a spin.
  • zolt said thank you

#3 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 12:51 PM

the 'jumping out of gear issue', I did suspect the spring issue---my MF 10 does same, and was told that the spring is probably broken---and someone was nice enough to post a 'how to fix' set of photos-----hopefully the 210 fix will be simpler---if not.....
thanks for the other suggestions as well, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny-----so i guess my job list is complete... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:51 PM

check the manuals on this site - there are 3 manuals for the peerless 2300's - Tecumseh Technican's Handbook, Tecumseh / Peerless 2300 series Part List and Tecumseh / Peerless Transmission Repair
they should hope you a lot
Deere still has the springs (part number M40350) around $286 each and balls (part # M40351) around %1.38 each for the transaxles

#5 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 09:48 PM

WOW! $286. for a spring?---wonder how much the trans is?=====hopefully you meant $2.86......
thanks..

#6 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Turning on PTO and killing the motor could be a bad safety switch. I've run into this several times with a bad seat safety switch. This is, of course, if the engine is just killing off. If you can really hear a load of some kind it may be belt or other related.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 01:57 PM

I replaced the detent springs and detent balls in my 208 last year and it only cost me $12. It's an easy fix, but if you do it wrong you can have gears all over the place.

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 04:50 PM

With the motor off and key out. Reach up under the deck and see if you can turn the blades by hand easily. If not its probably something in the deck. If you can turn them easily then it probably a kill switch

#9 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 06:34 PM

all of the above will be tried in a short while---,
thanks much again.....