16 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Ok, here it is...I have had just about every different kind of GT a this point, actually I really think I have had at least one of each. I have always been kind of a John Deere guy, but I hate the price and am starting to love them less...So, I am thinking I want to get one more workhorse. Something with a 3 pt, stout and heavy in case I get one of my other ones stuck and I want it cheap. There is a White 1855 that fits all this but I am guessing it will be gone by the time I actually commit to buying something. So, I am looking for opinions here. I would love to hear any small tid bit of advice and maybe some good arguments for or against a certain brand or model. I am looking for pretty specific recommendations (models not makes) and would like to stay at or under $500ish. Thanks guys.

Edited by middleageddeere, May 28, 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Case or Ingersoll...

I have other brands and have heard of the brand wars...but at the end of the day the Case or Ingersoll is always at the top of the heap. Parts are plentiful, and support is right here on the net. There is no proprietary manual and the tractors are rugged and dependable. Decks, Tillers, Log splitters, trailers, vacs, chippers, plows, blades etc...whatever work beckons your call can be done with a Case or Ingersoll tractor.

Others will support their brand of choice I am sure but no one ever says a Case Tractor is Junk. I have a deck from my 73 and iwill fit on my 87...that is just the way they work. The design in the beginning was superior and there was no need to 'rethink' its design or functionality. Same is true for all of the Case Ingersoll implements...

Good Luck and which ever you decide hope it is is the best one ever.

Regards,
NutCASE
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 05:29 AM

NutCase-> I have to admit that I have always like the look of the 400 series Cases. However, typically the only ones in my price range are either the 200 series or totally beat to snot. How is the 200 series? Do they have the 3 pt option also? Thanks.

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:11 AM

The 200 and 400 are powered by the same hydraulic systems. The 200 series is really no slouch when it comes to work. People think there is a massive difference, however reality is a bit different. All the implements for the 400 work on the 200, The biggest difference is 'ride due to larger back wheels' and 'ground power' but even that is narrow...because the 444 and 224 use the same Kohler. So if the real reason you have a tractor is to get work done...the 200 series will not let you down.

#5 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Casenut-> That is great to know, a guy had three in decent shape for sale for $800 recently, I will have to see if he still has them.

Any other recommendations?

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Sure, Any brand can do the stuff you most likely need. So, my biggest thing is to have fun, take pride in ownership and make yours the best example of 'original', to many times people try to reinvent the wheel when all they have to to is to put the tractor right back to the way it came and they'd have no more issues. So, having fun with it is the most important factor of all. Take your time don't be in a 'hurry' and you'll end up with a tractor that you can be proud of as well as one that will work all day every day and be very good at it.

224? Can they really work that well?
Posted Image

Edited by NutCASE, May 29, 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Don't Forget about the Bolens Largeframes :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1250.jpg

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Dr. Bolens-> I have seen quite a few of those around my area, I didn't know which models specifically were the hefty ones though or had 3 pt. capability.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Dr. Bolens-> I have seen quite a few of those around my area, I didn't know which models specifically were the hefty ones though or had 3 pt. capability.

All the Largeframes used a 3pt hitch setup.
The most common largeframes were Models 1250,1455,1476,1477,1886,HT20,HT20D,HT23

#10 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:20 AM

The "hefty" large frames would be the 1886, HT18, HT20, and HT23. They all had a 3-pt hitch option. The 1886 is a bit different than the HT's but it will do the job.

Actually the 1886 'evolved' into the HT18 when they changed from the Eaton 12 to a Sunstrand 15 hydro.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 29, 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Long term you need something that is servicable and you need to have the attachments you need or be able to easily get them. All the major brands have their pluses and minuses.

#12 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Since you have pretty much ruled out John Deeres maybe one of the older Sears tractors or even one of the Craftsman tractors up to the mid 1990s would meet your needs. There are a lot of them around, many new parts are still available, they were equipped with about any engine brand and size you could favor and the attachments are still reasonably priced.

All of the GTs mentioned so far and many other brands are more than capable to be workhorses, fairly easy to maintain and reasonably priced.

Bill

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 02:06 PM

Im my opinion, I think Economy/Power King tractors are the best. But, you will not find one for $500 unless its stolen or in terrible shape. Even though I have never had one, I like the Case tractors and they come in at number two on my list. Like NutCASE said, a 200 series would probably be one of the best choices. It all depends on what you want to do with it, for some jobs different tractors will be better.

#14 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Another vote for a Case if you want sheer raw durability, and build to suit attachments if need be.

Still like my JD's but the Hydrive of the Case is a work of art.

#15 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Instead of looking for a tractor brand that comes with a 3PH, look for the transmission/rear end that fills that bill.The Sundstrand Series 15 with the Peerless rear end is tough to beat, no matter what brand it resides in. The Eaton 11 with it's version of the Peerless is almost as good.

The heart and soul of a tractor is its transmission/rear end. That's what delivers the power to the ground. The paint on the tins is window dressing.