34 replies to this topic

#31 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 06:34 PM

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleaned the points and she fired right over. Ran for about a minute then died and wouldn't start back up. Kept turning over, have spark, but not wanting to go. I'll check everything tomorrow, but just the feeling that it went from being seized and not moving to running is one hell of a great way to end the day! :)

#32 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 06:52 PM

That's great news! :smilewink: I just read this thread for the first time, and would like to say that's a very solid looking machine! Congrats! :dancingbanana:

Matt :thumbs:

#33 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hot Ticket! It ran and stayed running!

I had to clean the carb and adjust the points a bit, but she ran enough to go a full lap around the yard. A few things I did notice..

She has Hi and Low gear, but the clutch doesn't seem the engage. I press the pedal down, but nothing happens. Everything looks hooked up underneath. When I got her, the clutch was down and the spring was off. Maybe the threaded piece that the spring hooks too needs to be threaded in some more? What do you think?

It felt good for her to go from seized up sitting in a barn to running again!

#34 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Congrats titus! Glad you got her running! I have not had to work with the clutches yet, so I am no help. I do suspect, from using my one D4-10 that is running,....that many bush hog owners did not make the effort to get the clutch working correctly and just grinded in the gears...and that is why we see these cluster gears damaged. My clutch was not disengagng earlier today....and I kept trying to gently put it in gear....no luck...then the clutch started working and from then on the shifting from reverse to forward was smooth. I am going to have to go back and read the instructions on clutch adjustments to make sure my D4-10 is working properly.
Good luck!

Edited by sacsr, June 18, 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#35 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,218 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Titus, your friction disc may be stuck to your pressure plate. Many times one can simply drive it while keeping the clutch pedal pressed down until it finally breaks free. But then again, the clutch "fingers" may be worn off or broken/bent to where it will never work without repairing it.