Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Advice On Rebuilding Case Gt--195 Or 442?

case 442 case 195 repower diesel loader

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have a couple Case GTs-- a 195 that is pretty much complete, but has the engine and pump out of it right now, and is missing the hood tin, and a 442 that needs an engine, and misc. engine-related parts (PTO, etc.) but has a hydraulic lift, and hydraulics circuits to power a hydraulic rototiller (which I also got when I bought the tractor). The 195 has a Haban Sickle Mower

I have several spare engines-- a 13 Hp Kubota W/C Diesel, a 10 hp Chinese Diesel, several 12 and 14 hp Kohlers (K301 and K321), an 18 hp B&S flat twin, and a 18 hp Briggs V-twin OHV engine.

I want to get one of the tractors running. I wouldn't mow lawn with it, but I would like to use the sickle mower to mow the weeds along my mother's driveway--approx. 1,000 feet, and also use the tractor to plow, till, push snow, and ultimately get a Front End Loader and power steering and maybe a cab for winter use.

I don't plan to do a restore--I just want to get one of them in good mechanical condition. I'll repower one if need be--the diesels look pretty tempting... Any suggestions as to which tractor would be the best candidate, AND, any things I need to look out for when I start rebuilding one or the other?

Thanks in advance,

Utah Smitty

Attached Thumbnails

• HABAN Sickle Mower CAse 195 002.jpg
  • HABAN Sickle Mower CAse 195 003.jpg
  • HABAN Sickle Mower CAse 195 001.jpg

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:10 PM

The 442 is a rare tractor, it would be cool to have it running and being used again. The 195 is a cool tractor too. That rounded hood with a sicklebar is a nifty combination indeed! That's a tough decision to make. Do 'em both!

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:28 PM

The 442 is a rare tractor, it would be cool to have it running and being used again. The 195 is a cool tractor too. That rounded hood with a sicklebar is a nifty combination indeed! That's a tough decision to make. Do 'em both!

I would like to do both, but time restricts me, plus I have 6 to 8 other GTs that are awaiting my attention... My yard and garage are overflowing and the neighbors are getting nervous...

If the 442 is rare, that makes me wonder if it will be hard to get parts for it, though I suspect some parts for other Case 400 series tractors will fit it.

Thanks for your reply...

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 04:08 AM

Sounds like you have an immediate use for the 195. That would give you time to find parts for the 442.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 04:56 AM

Was the K301 the stock engine for the 442. If so, then it seems a natural fit for that tractor. That would keep it stock and preserve the value if it's rare.

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 05:03 AM

I'll vote with he guys. I was told the 442 was rare when I bought the pair so now my target is to rebuild both MANY parts interchange depending on Pin # What is yours?. My 442 is a very late '71 and the 446 is a '73.

The trick to finding parts is the PIN # (Serial #) as they call it on the dash panel. All correct parts seem to be build specific, but in my case (pun intended) they are pretty similar. They used 3 different pumps and there is a pump difference high-wheel vs small etc. We should have parts/service manuals in the GTT manuals section and I know there is a 442 manual missing. I can't remember which one. If you can't find it let me know. I think what I have is the same, but I've had this laptop fixed recently and I'm having trouble finding stuff.--Lee

Edited by Toolpartzman, May 28, 2012 - 05:24 AM.

#7 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 05:33 AM

I have a couple Case GTs-- a 195 that is pretty much complete, but has the engine and pump out of it right now, and is missing the hood tin, and a 442 that needs an engine, and misc. engine-related parts (PTO, etc.) but has a hydraulic lift, and hydraulics circuits to power a hydraulic rototiller (which I also got when I bought the tractor). The 195 has a Haban Sickle Mower

I have several spare engines-- a 13 Hp Kubota W/C Diesel, a 10 hp Chinese Diesel, several 12 and 14 hp Kohlers (K301 and K321), an 18 hp B&S flat twin, and a 18 hp Briggs V-twin OHV engine.

I want to get one of the tractors running. I wouldn't mow lawn with it, but I would like to use the sickle mower to mow the weeds along my mother's driveway--approx. 1,000 feet, and also use the tractor to plow, till, push snow, and ultimately get a Front End Loader and power steering and maybe a cab for winter use.

I don't plan to do a restore--I just want to get one of them in good mechanical condition. I'll repower one if need be--the diesels look pretty tempting... Any suggestions as to which tractor would be the best candidate, AND, any things I need to look out for when I start rebuilding one or the other?

Thanks in advance,

Utah Smitty

Wow, you have lots of goodies to work with. I'm new to Case, but what I love about mine is the simplicity. Particularly is you don't want to restore-just build or hot-rod it a little, the hydraulic drive gives you endless posibilities.Basically, you have a generous engine compartment that will fit anbout anything and hook up a compatible pump-no belts/pulleys/mechanical mumbo-jumbo etc.I will restore my 442 and supertune the 446.

#8 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:25 AM

I would like to do both, but time restricts me, plus I have 6 to 8 other GTs that are awaiting my attention... My yard and garage are overflowing and the neighbors are getting nervous...

If the 442 is rare, that makes me wonder if it will be hard to get parts for it, though I suspect some parts for other Case 400 series tractors will fit it.

Thanks for your reply...

Found it. For the 442: After Pin# 9646801, the engine is K-301-A spec C15965.

#9 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for your reply...

Being concerned about your limited time perhaps I can help out by taking the 442 off your hands. :laughingteeth:
The 442 shares many parts with the 220/222 and 444. The ONLY way to know exactly is ; with Pin # in hand, go page by page thru the manual noting similaroties and differences.

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sounds like you have an immediate use for the 195. That would give you time to find parts for the 442.

Gee, that makes sense!! Why didn't I think of it?

#11 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 02:00 AM

The K301 is the correct motor for the 195 also. 442's are harder to find but share a lot of parts with a 444. I use the crap out of my 195. I also have a 446.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:15 AM

The K301 is the correct motor for the 195 also. 442's are harder to find but share a lot of parts with a 444. I use the crap out of my 195. I also have a 446.

Any weak points, or things I need to consider as I rebuild them? I haven't looked to see the shape of the differential, etc.

#13 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Any weak points, or things I need to consider as I rebuild them? I haven't looked to see the shape of the differential, etc.

Not much help on any weak points as I've not started into my build yet-someone else could answer that. As for the 442 being rare-I'm guessing that its because fewer were built.

#14 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 08:39 PM

The kohler? When rebuilding always replace the gaskets seals rings and connecting rod. I just did the engine in my 195 last winter. Bored. 010" over, new OEM rod, oversize piston and gasket set. I use it to mow every week.
  • Utah Smitty and Toolpartzman have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 442, case 195, repower, diesel, loader