#2 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I went there first---so congratulations. Wonderfull accomplishment. When I got my private SEL many years ago, my instructor loved pulling the power to test the student on setting up a power off landing and that sound of the wind flowing over the cockpit always made me goosey. So I know it takes lots of confidence and great control skills :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well to be honest, this wasn't my "first" solo.

I started working on an SEL WAY back in 79-80, but when #1 son came along.... At that time I had soloed a J-3 Cub, bought, and soloed my own Cessna 140 , and was also taking glider training, and soloed a Schweitzer 2-33.

But over the years and many moves, I lost my log books, and have no record of it.

I don't mind 'starting over', and after 30+ years, it still qualifies (as far as I;m concerned) as a 1st solo. It just wasn't as 'stressful" as the one in the J-3.

My instructor then actually turned off the mags in the J-3 when I was on downwind, PULLED the keys out of the ignition, and I had to land it deadstick. He was an "Old School, crusty old fart", and really 'tested' you. When HE was finished with you, you definately knew how to fly. When we were in the Cessna, he delighted in turning the fuel lever to off (it was on the floor between the seats), and waiting to see that you would when the engine stopped.

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 04:43 AM

Mine wasn't quite that bad but some were prettyy mean. He started by pulling power once during the flight hour, then knowing thatI relaxed a bit after that, he would do it again and again. To this day-some 2000 hrs later, I still contstantly scan the ground for a potential landing spot.