UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have a very simple approach. I told her she can plan't whatever she wants, whereever she wants, but if she plants it in a stupid place or anywhere it shouldn't be I will mow it down or run it over. I only had to mow over some flowers once before she got the hint.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • Member No: 70540
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:14 PM

well one way to remedy this might be to have her have a go at some of the yard work when things are planted all screwy and willy nilly. 

She might realize what a nightmare the upkeep becomes and change her ways... maybe  :worshippy1:

Edited by bolensbolens, May 11, 2015 - 06:14 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#18 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Back in the day, my mother found that the best way to get something done (the way she wanted) was to start the project somewhere else. My father would immediately correct her, take her work out and redo it somewhere else, usually where she had wanted it in the first place, lol. Reverse psychology is a wonderful thing, compromise is admirable, working happily together--- priceless. And yes, a basic plan using the topography, climate, ease of maintenance, and consideration of "the 10 year plan" is essential.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Well there has been a long standing joke in the family, due to one of my mowing adventures in my mother in laws yard.
I came in from mowing the lawn and my. Mother in law said you mowed off my Tiger lilies.
I said you mean those thistle looking things were flowers?
The women in the family make it a point to tell me where the flowers are.

#20 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Before I retired and the wife was working we left the lawn wide open to be mowed all the time. Wife and I both didn't like people seeing the house from the road so the first spring I planted several rows of white pine trees to block the view down out 400 foot driveway. Wasn't long and I decided the white pines were to open and did 3 rows of white spruce. Perfect with branches just off the ground and tight together. Makes great wildlife cover and blocks the view.

For 26 years that was the way the place looked. deer grazing in the front lawn and the persons who though the no trespassing signs at the end of the drive were a lawn decoration  I got to rip their heads off and spit down their neck.

then we retired and the wife wanted some thing to do and a flower bed was a great idea to keep her busy she said. Since the yard is 100% red clay I dug the stuff out 18 inches deep filled it in totally back filled with horse manure and put 12 inch's of soil from the woods on top. 3800 sq.ft latter she has enough to keep her busy and they are all perennials so you don't have to replant every year. She uses a push reel mower around the edges  far enough back I don't need to worry about cutting any plants with the mower or blow clipping in them.

If I were to grip about any thing it is the mulch bill. every year we buy tons of it. I bought a chipper so we could make our own. One screen is to fine to suit the wife. the others are all two course. Even the boughten mulch is not the run of the mill stuff, it has to be pine bark nuggets as it doesn't break down as fast she says.

Another grip are the JACKASSES who tour the garden and pick the flowers. I don't allow tours any more because of them.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, May 31, 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:13 AM

I go through something like this almost every weekend of the summer. I have actual experience with landscaping. I know what works, what can be made to work, and what doesn't work. I have a basic design in mind for the yard that will make it relatively easy to maintain. This is my thing.

Maybe you could give your wife this house to decorate and get another to landscape the way you want?

It always amazes me that people plant trees and don't look up to see the power lines overhead.