Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#121 MYAMF1010 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5421
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:41 PM

my dad had a lot of different kinds of tractors and when i was little he took me to a lot of shows. i love being around tractors because i been around them forever
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#122 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,341 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:56 PM

my dad had a lot of different kinds of tractors and when i was little he took me to a lot of shows. i love being around tractors because i been around them forever

I see this is your first post, so I'll welcome you here. Don't forget to post something in the member introductions area so we can welcome you proper-like.

#123 speedyg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:59 AM

All my boys growed up, and I wasent going to mow that 1+ac with that push mower. :)

#124 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Well since I somehow missed this thread I hope you folks don't mind if I add my reason ?

And please forgive me if it sounds corny or sappy it's just the truth.

It all started with meeting and falling head over heels for a wonderful lady named Jen (country girl) and me being from the city (city boy) which she hated we decided to move me out to the country got ourselves a place and it soon became apparent that an LT/GT was needed for 2.5 acres so as you can see it was more a case of survival than an itch at first.

As I have always been mechanically inclined (thank you Dad) and taught if I want something I have to work for and take care of it I have always had my hands greasy and bruised knuckles, you should have seen my first car what a mess but it did run perfect and was 100% safe but was it ugly.

Basically what gave me the itch was while searching for for an LT/GT I was amazed at the variety and diversity of them and after owning and using them I wanted more power and usefulness, once I had that then it became a point to restore them to their former glory (looks and mechanical condition) although some IMO looked ugly right out of the showroom, and I haven't done a full restoration yet but that is coming soon.

As a young man I worked on cars/trucks just so I could be mobile, then as I got older and had a good vehicle I turned towards restoring them (cars/motorcycles) now I think it's the same thing, I need a good reliable LT/GT to maintain the property and it may as well ease my workload so I lean towards the older iron for workable good looks and reliability.

Plus I can get allot more for my money with a little cash and some sweat equity, and it is satisfying (I know this is a bad reason) to take my old iron and help out one of my friends/relative's when their shiny new ABC-1234 tractor goes down and is in the repair shop.

And who doesn't think a well running old car/truck doesn't look sharp even with faded paint ? I have my own museum on wheels that earns it's keep right here !

I hope this wasn't to long winded and boring ?

#125 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:18 AM

no, i feel the same,

#126 lowrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your story with us Ron. The old iron seems to be able to roll with the punches better than new aluminum.

#127 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:34 PM

I liked your story too Ron, sounds kind of like mine. I have yet to read back through all of the previous replies in this thread but am heading that way in a minute, here's my abbreviated long winded story:smile1:
On edit: "I too have been fascinated with mechanical items and such since I can remember, taking things apart to see how they worked and sometimes getting back together, willing to tackle most any task."
My brother moved down state for work and bought an old farm house with a barn and three tractors. One was a Jacobsen Chief, one was a Senator, and the other a newer mowing tractor. I ended up with the Chief and plowed snow with it for several years, thats where my itch started. Loved the toughness of that tractor and the 12H Kohler would start right up on the coldest winter day. I bought a Ford LGT145 at a real good price and the Chief went back to him. That relationship with the Ford lasted through about 7 seasons of winter plowing and summer mowing (our yard took about 15 minutes with the 50 inch deck) , and went with us when we moved to the lake. When dealing on a Cub Cadet I stumbled upon my first Allis Chalmers and have been sold on that brand since(Simplicity too).
All of this old iron is tough and was built to last, and we all have our favorites among them. The problem as I see it is that once it gets started there seems to be almost no hope for a cure for this here itch of ours.:D:D

Edited by Michiganmobileman, August 22, 2011 - 08:58 PM.
Add a few details

#128 546cowboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5766
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Well as a kid I never really did much of anything mechanical. The only rider we ever had was a early 1960's Craftsman rider, you know rear engine. After I got in the Army I went to a Wheel Vehicle mechanic school and that started me on a lifetime of mechanic work. Worked on GM cars and trucks for about 25 years. Had many other occupations scattered through many years. I moved back to the home place to help my mother who is 85 now and she has about 4 acres here. She had an old Cub Cadet and it threw a rod next thing you know I'm buying one tractor and then finding a better one and the story keeps going.

I started picking up unwanted tractors by putting an ad on CList, fixing them and reselling them, sometimes modifying them for other uses. People would see what I did with the stuff nobody wanted and they would be on the lookout for stuff for me to use. If you look at the customs and modified section of the Gallery you'll see a couple.

Anyway a few years ago I got started with Wheel Horses and now I have 13. Now it seems I just can't pass up a deal on one. Last month I put about 1000 miles on the truck just going after Horses and going to that Charlotte, MI show. I have a mission to save as many of these older Wheel Horses as I can from the scrappers and parts strippers as I can. The bad part is that I have to sell some of the ones I get so I can buy more to repair and bring back to usable shape. Besides that now that I am on SS it suppliments my income and what else would I do with all the time I have to do what I enjoy most.

You all probably know this but if you are near a scrap yard, stop by there and check it out. They do get GT's in and if you tell them you're looking for them they might call you or at least hold them until you come by. Actually I check one near me every time I go to town and have been very pleasently surprised. With the economy the way it is people are taking everything to the scrap yard. So SAVE A TRACTOR!

Edited by 546cowboy, August 30, 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#129 gimmodog OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:14 PM

mine is not jujst a lawn & garden itch, its all tractors!

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:11 PM

I guess I gotta be honest. It seems this site is giving me the itch on these old workhorses. Back in the early 90's I bought a mid 60's Massey-Ferguson Executive to do dirt work on a go-kart track in my back yard. It's name is "Dick". Used it for snow removal occasionally too. I always thought it was a cool old machine and it did the job. I mowed my acre for 25 years with an MTD riding mower that looks like a garden tractor. It was old when I got it from my Uncle in 1980 thru my Mom and still have it out in a little shed. I think he said he bought it in 1965. It's name is "Uncle Bill". Anyway 5 years ago a guy at work had an 80's something 12 horse Murray rider he was gonna haul to scrap 'cause it wouldn't run. I hauled it home and discovered a stuck valve. It's name is "Clyde".
"Clyde" is a pretty good running mower for no money into it. Last July I was over at a buddy's place and he showed me this new zero radius turn hydraulic everything whopa-- mower he bought. He said he was gonna get rid of his old one and had it advertised in a local trader paper for $350. He asked if I needed a bigger mower and I said "naw I don't have but a couple bucks in the ones I got so why would I need it?" I went home, had a couple of cold ones and thought about that tractor. Hey that was a Massey-Ferguson. 1975, the year I graduated high school. I bet that price is kinda cheap for a real tractor even tho it's a small one. Oh man I already have a MF tractor and they would be happy together! I like old rusty objects. Why did I decline his offer? I started to panic the next day (Friday) just to remember they left town to go drag racing that morning. Left a message at home and couldn't get ahold of them on the cell phone. I don't know squat about these things but something told me I can't let that tractor go by. I never heard from them and didn't really know when they were coming back from the race. I called again and the better half answered and said that they had just got back to town and hadn't returned any calls altho there were a few responding to the ad. "Am I first to call on the tractor then?" I asked. When she said yes all of my anguish from the last few days went away and I said I'll be right over!
Now I have a 1975 MF12G that I call "Ron".

Clyde will be going to a good home as my in-laws just retired to a small rural community 75 miles south of us that has a half acre lot more suited to a rider than a push mower. Uncle Bill is still out in the shed and will become some sort of project someday. Like a "rat tractor" and it has the right "patina" for it.

All I was trying to do was find a couple of parts for "Ron" even though it runs and mows great, when I came across this site.
This site isn't helping matters at all. Now I'm getting more obsessed with these things!

Ok I will end this lengthy story of nonsense but you all here are partially at fault for this new addiction I now have.

#131 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 05:41 PM

Glad we could help MFDAC!! LOL!

#132 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Since Clyde is being moved out, whatcha gonna get to replace him?

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:49 PM

Glad we could help MFDAC!! LOL!

Yeah---gee---thanks---more obsessions with old stuff. Hey this site is a great group of folks willing to help no matter what color of the tractor! It all turns out positive!

Since Clyde is being moved out, whatcha gonna get to replace him?

Well you know I still have Uncle Bill, he can do it again!----LOL Actually Uncle Bill still runs pretty good but the old 8 horse Briggs is pretty tired. That's why I want to make a toy out of it. I'm not sure if Ron can replace either of them yet. I suppose I will have to run Ron 5 to 25 years to decide if it was a good move!

#134 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I think my "itch" to collect garden tractors started with an "itch" to sew. We were at a garage sale and I spotted a1968 John Deere 112 in the corner. Yup it was for sale. The wife was looking for a second sewing machine and said she would buy the Deere if i bought the sewing machine. Then for her birthday i bought her a 1948 farmall cub, and she bought me a quilting machine for my birthday. For christmas I bought her an Allis Chalmers Big 10 and she bought me a serger (whatever that is.). If you see where this is going I should be an accomplished seamstress by now. As long as she keeps filling up the workshop I'll keep filling up the sewing room.
  • Simpleton said thank you

#135 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:01 AM

I have always enjoyed working on mechanical equipment. I served in the USN for 20 years working on Jet engines the first half and then the entire aircraft as a Maintenance chief. Recently the company I worked for, after retiring from the USN, closed it's doors. After a year of looking for new job and finding non I decided it was time to retire. A friend suggested since I like to work on different equipment that I might enjoy mower repair, so I decided to try it and I've enjoy it. I also enjoy being able to help others especially my friends who are struggling due to the economy

I'm really glad to find this site so I can ask questions to the real experts and hopefully along the way I can help as well.