Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#106 buckshotbob OFFLINE  

buckshotbob

• Member No: 4686
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Dad can't walk well anymore and we use a old JD hydro 165 he was given to take him to tractor shows

#107 jahkeymo3 OFFLINE  

jahkeymo3

• Member No: 4684
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:47 AM

My grand dad. 1972 Wheel Horse C-120. Sold it som years ago to pay bills. Been trying to make up for it ever since.

#108 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:44 PM

I've been collecting John Deere farm toys for many years, and the tractor I most played with was the round fendered 110. I made up my mind when I turned 25 years old, to find and buy one, with the intentions of sitting it in the display room with the toys. (wrong!) I couldn't help but drive it. After two or three months of owning it, I decided I wanted to paint it and make it look new. In order to make it complete, I had to look for parts. With this said, I needed a parts tractor. I found a parts tractor, but I just couldn't let myself disassemble it. So I looked for another, and well, you guessed it. Couldn't disassemble that one either. Thus started the itch to collect as many round fenders as I could afford. Although I must admit. When the collect became complete, it was hard selling the doubles, and the original parts tractors, for you see, I promissed my wife that I would stop buying after the collection was complete, so I'm trying hard to stick to my word. The nice thing about having this many tractors? You can easily sneak another tractor in the shed while she is at work, and she doesn't realize that it wasn't part of the original collection!
  • Kster526 said thank you

#109 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 03:22 PM

I've always had riding mowers, but never thought much about them other than as a tool. Several years ago, my cousin had a heart attack. While he was laid up, I cut the grass at his place. He had a yardman or something to mow with, but it crapped out. I needed something quick to mow grass there so I didn't have to keep hauling my mower back and forth so I bought an old Sears SS 12 that was for sale not too far from his place and noticed how much more stout it was than the newer tractors. Sometime after that, I bought myself a Gilson 18hp hydro GT(a Wards) to tinker with. Still have the Gilson, and a few others now. I'm extremely brand specific, but the brand changes on any given day. That reminds me, he owes me an SS 12!

#110 dualsportklx OFFLINE  

dualsportklx

• Member No: 5415
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 01:43 PM

my father got me interested when iwas just a little boy. he work for a ford tractor dealer and what ever my dad was doing i was doing the same thing. once you have it in your blood you can't stop. has been 40 years and i have a collection of 12 now. and have restored over 30 tractors
  • Kster526 said thank you

#111 THEMONSTERFERGIE OFFLINE  

THEMONSTERFERGIE

• Member No: 5320
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 06:25 PM

I u the virus of garden tractors, a year ago for the summer. In depard I bought my tractor to do work at home. I am the son of a farmer and we have massey 8 in number (35-37-165-168-590-3060-6465-7475). So it was natural that I find a garden tractor massey. it became the masquotte the farm. I became a big fan and hopes that the renovation of massey14 will be successful. and why not buy another for a collection.

#112 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 07:55 PM

my father,
a 1970's sears suburban ss12 with a custon 38 inch welded plate steel mowing deck (heavy!), snow plow and rear weights,
bought new from sears and roebuck co., deck was replaced in the early 80's with the welded deck,
my uncle,
collects david bradley tractors, and has a mower/snowblower repair and sales shop, at one time had over 80 d.b. tractors, im still tinkering with him,
my grandmother,
use to rebuild/restore antique cars with her father in the late 30's and 40's, model T's, A's, steam cars, horse drawn buggies and sulkys,
friends,
to young to drive on the road so mowers and garden tractors did fine, untill the $$$,
  • Gabriel said thank you

#113 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 08:48 PM

My dad made the mistake of restoring a 67 broadmor, and letting me play with it. now I have 29 tractors mostly Simplicity. I have even started restoring a yoemen for my granddaughter. Now my wife who wanted me to sell them all has a 707 broadmor she is redoing.I did say redo not restore, her love of all things cows has gone to her tractor. I will post picks when she gets it done.

#114 franczo OFFLINE  

franczo

• Member No: 5547
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:29 PM

hello! I'm new on the forum... I love tractors' designs and I would like to know if there is any thread for desk's collectors... for example a small version of a john deere,

thanks!

#115 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:
I believe the best place to make a thread would be in our Other Hobbies and Toys Forum.
I am sure others have a collection of scale model tractors as well.

#116 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Franczo,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#117 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I got into this world out of affordable necessity. The yard at my current place is twice the size of my previous place and the two plus hours pushing the Lawn Boy around the yard in the heat and humidity of Nebraska summers got old very quickly. I found my 1966 110 on Craigslist and pulled the trigger. A carb rebuild, battery and belts and I have received over two years of great service until I lost the transaxle in July. Since the 110 is down for the count I seized the opportunity to purchase a nice original 1971 JD 120 with a new long block to go along with the model 49 snowblower that someone gave me last summer and will fix the 110 up once I find parts.

#118 franczo OFFLINE  

franczo

• Member No: 5547
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thank you guys, I hope I find beautiful designs here

#119 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Have loved machines most of my life. Ran an experimental research laboratory at two different universities for decades. Having a country place, we needed more equipment than just the big Massey to do jobs. Ran into a Power King without knowing anything about it other than what was observable. That started the whole thing. It was and is a wonderful piece. The things I really go for in garden tractors are that, in their heyday, they represented the best in innovation and quality that our country has produced. It is always a pleasure to work on these machines and share information with others doing the same. Am now hooked like most of you with almost 40 GT's.

#120 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 15, 2011 - 08:24 PM

well 2 hillbilly friends i know both got cub cadets, one got a 1450 and one got a 106. they claimed they pulled anything. so i went and found a bolens h14. well i fell in love with bolens and i proved 2 hillbillys wrong because both of there tractors crapped out.