Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#76 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:58 PM

I inherited my family's long time string of garden and bigger tractors. I also inherited all of the work these tractors are responsible for, including mowing acres of lawn and acres of garden tilling. I know I will need your help in keeping them all running (Bolens 1254, Scott S1642, John Deere 1937B).

#77 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,351 Thanks
  • 41,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 12:32 AM

Welcome, Aussiedog. Sounds like you have acres of fun and seat time.LOL

#78 steve k OFFLINE  

steve k

• Member No: 3253
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Greetings all

I just joined and thought this was a good place to say hi. How I got started with tractors was a couple of years back a co-employee gave me a Bolens 775 that had a mower deck and snow-thrower. Shortly later I found a Bolens 1050 with a deck and rototiller. I liked the bolens and eventually ended up with a the 775 with attachments, the 1050 with cab and attachments, three parts 1050s, two parts 1250s, a st110, st160, lawn sweeper, leaf vac, wood chipper, and other misc parts. Well it came time to mover so the tractors had to go. I sold all but the ST110 and one 1250, which i gave to my brother. shortly after moving I ran into a guy who wanted to get rid of his Simplicity 6500 with deck, bagger, and snow-thrower, and also a 1974 Sears electric lawn tractor. The Simplicity has drive problems and the Sears he knew nothing about, so he gave them to me for free and Thur in delivery, how could I say no. The electric sears is the one I really wanted, its powered by three car batteries, has three electric mowers and a battery charger under the seat. I just got it running the other day and used it to cut my grass. It did pretty good considering it sat out side most of its life. I'm hopping to clean it up and repaint it.

Well that's probably enough for now. I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all responsible for providing and maintaining this site.

Steven
  • Craig. said thank you

#79 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,392 Thanks
  • 17,472 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you got some great equipment there. We would love to see pics if you have any

#80 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,278 Thanks
  • 1,433 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Welcome to the forum. We have a very well rounded bunch of members, we all love pictures. That sears electric sounds pretty neat! Shawn

#81 steve k OFFLINE  

steve k

• Member No: 3253
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm working on the pictures, I just finally figured out how to use my scanner

#82 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,446 Thanks
  • 29,126 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Can't wait to see pics of both of them. You may want to call the PO and try to track down the manuals for that Sears, even if you have to call the next guy back. There was a discussion about them a while ago and no one seemed to be able to find one anywhere. If you have them and don't mind scanning them, they'd make a great addition to the manuals section.

Thanks for joining up!

#83 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi, I,m another new guy and wanted to respond to what gave me the itch. Well I saw this Massey Ferguson 10 in a bone yard and being a man with horses it looked like a sick horse that no-one was attending to, so for $50.00 i took her home and have started the mending process. Going to take good care of her and watch her come back to true form.
  • Craig. said thank you

#84 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,446 Thanks
  • 29,126 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Do you have any pics of the 10? My Son has one & he is also starting the process.

If all you new members don't mind posting in the Member Introduction area, you get the royal welcome.

#85 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 11:01 AM

My itch started when I bought a house that has two acres of wooded land. I am gradually increasing the grassy area but recognizing the beauty of a natural woods. I am now up to four garden tractors with specific duties.

#86 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 01:28 AM

I got started after building a 67 broadmor with my father for his lawn, I just started to gather more. now people I do not know will stop by the house to ask if I want to buy theirs. Some people will even stop to look when I have them all out in the yard. Now my 6 yr old granddaughter has the itch. we are currently rebuilding a 627 yoemen for her to show. I am happy to know where my collection will go when I do!!
  • Craig. said thank you

#87 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:05 PM

My first teardown was a Jacobson reelmower with small B/S eng. Just had to see what was inside that made it work. Dad didn't always agree though. I was only 5 at the time. Been hooked ever since. My first re-build was a 20yr. old JD110 from front to rear. Loved that machine . Have'nt had alot of time to get back into the GT'S till lately but I'm going to make up for lost time. Presently I'm working on my sears/roper rotospader - new Honda eng and widened tines. Hope to use with my recently aquired Sears Suburban 12 with the little dirt digger. My workhoarse on my daily basis is a Cub 1620 hydro but i still like the old iron better. Glad i found this site, you guys really rock! Randy
  • Craig. said thank you

#88 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:37 AM

i got my first tractor when i was in high school. it was a 1961 bolens ride-a-matic. it had a k161 that i rebuilt. i had a snowblower, mower deck, single bottom plow, and a tiller. the garage collapsed after i rebuilt the engine, the engine had maybe 20 hours on it. it was destroyed, and i was quite upset by the whole thing. when my parents got the insurance money from the tractor that i worked so hard on my mother insisted on going out and buying a brand new mtd cub cadet 2135. i told her she was buying a piece of junk but she wouldnt listen, she took the money from my machine and bought that shiny piece of junk. i wanted an IH built cub cadet garden tractor but she just wouldnt listen. today that cub cadet has fallen apart. the paint fell off of it and the metal was so thin and cheap it has rusted worse than the titanic. i got screwed to put it "polite" terms, and instead of allowing me to have another classic to play with i got nothing. its poetic justice that the mtd has fallen apart. when really upset me was that i was a 15 year kid that had rebuilt this old machine and i got nothing out of the deal. i put my personal money(as a kid), time, and effort into this machine because my parents were to cheap to buy it for me. i did it because i was sick of being told i had to shovel the driveway and mow the 1.5 acres by hand.

today the reason why im into this hobby is because i feel that there is NO quality in modern lawn and garden tractors. the lawn tractors that are in my price range are extremely poor quality and have a service life of less than 10 years. i usually try to buy a fairly common model that i can get parts for. i have 2 cub cadet narrow frame (147 and 122) and a jd 112. the parts for them are still common. i like rebuilding something and knowing that it will last me as long as i can still get parts. i also will only purchase a machine that will do it all. for all of my tractors, i own tillers, snow throwers, and mower decks. i cant imagine doing my driveway with a cheap mtd walk behind snowblower, a cheap lawn tractor to mow with, and a cheap roto-tiller to do the garden, buy the time you buy all of that junk you have spent far more than you would on a classic L&G tractor. why would i want a lightweight snowblower when i can sit on a heavy, solid beast like a cub cadet 147 with a qa42? most of what is produced today is cheap quality, made in china, and simply not a good investment. money is much better spent on a classic. the new stuff is made to be thrown away, the old stuff was built right and will last as long as parts are around and someone doesnt torch them all for a profit. i sincerely believe that no one will ever make them good again. i think my tractors are cool, but i dont really buy them to be collectors items, i buy them to use them.

i will never own some cheap piece of aluminum, plastic, and tin. im not happy unless it has a heavy cast iron k series or onan under the hood, a heavy duty cast iron axle, a heavy duty frame, and quality sheet metal that even after 40 years of use and missing paint is still solid. i compare the construction materials used and the older stuff looks much better, for me anyways. i wished the buying public felt the way i do. i bought an IH cub cadet because it has a farmall cub rear axle, the best ever put into any garden tractor. a design that MTD refused to buy when they bought cub cadet. why? because they last too long and MTD builds mostly disposable junk.

i also like the feel of owning a scaled down farm tractor since i dont have the space for a full sized. these machines are built allot like their big brothers.

Edited by ad356, May 30, 2011 - 08:49 AM.

• Craig. said thank you

#89 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,555 Thanks
  • 7,374 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I'm gonna make this short and good. It all started when I was born, as I grew up around my father, who was a collector of larger tractors/equipment. Then when I was 16 I saw a David Bradley walk behind at a show, so decided to restore one we had in the back shed from a 20 dollar impulse buy at a local auction a few years before. After bringing home a lot of the DB walk behinds I found a Springfield on ebay I liked, so bought that. From there the collection snowballed in multiple directions with the help of the internet, now I can't hardly turn myself around in my own shop! lol.
  • Craig. said thank you

#90 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• Member No: 3923
  • 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Well let's see here. I've been a tinkerer since I was a kid. Never had any toy's cause I took them all apart to see what made them work. I've had several competitive hobbies through the years. Radio control car's, dirt bikes and ATVs not to mention the Car's and 4x4's. I finally reached the point that I think it's time to slow down and enjoy something a little easier to keep up with. Short story long, a buddy of mine came up with the remains of a 1872 Cub and for some reason I just had to have it. After doing some trading and taking in the shorts on the deal as I frequently do, I got the heap home and started piecing it together. Most of the sheet metal was unusable and everything you cold rob from the engine had been, so I took the poor red neck approach and started building with what I had laying around the garage and I ended up with something a little different but in my opinion kind of cool. After The cub was done I enjoyed it so much I had to get another and just one more after that and another and then a couple more. In the short time I've been messing with garden tractors I've made several good friend and have found that just about everyone in this hobby is down to earth and always willing to help. A lot different than what I've come accustomed to. Think I'll stick with the little tractors from here on out.
  • Craig. said thank you