Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#61 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:55 PM

John, It's easier to be forgiven than it is to get permission...:laughingteeth:

#62 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 12:12 PM

John, It's easier to be forgiven than it is to get permission...:laughingteeth:

:thumbs: I keep hoping that some day I can work a deal for the C-81 to find its way across the street.

jhn9840
John
  • Orange appeal said thank you

#63 lcorbin OFFLINE  

lcorbin

• Member No: 2558
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 03:08 PM

I just bought my first garden a JD 318. I now officialy have the itch.

#64 lcorbin OFFLINE  

lcorbin

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 03:09 PM

I finally decided to buy a tractor partly out of need. I somewhat disabled, it is hard for me to do chores around the house and the winter I typically would use a walk behind snowblower but that was just getting to difficult.

#65 lcorbin OFFLINE  

lcorbin

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 03:12 PM

When trying to decide what I should buy I started looking at 4 wheelers but I also needed a new way to mow my lawn. I have heard such negative things about newer cubs and JDs I decided to get a 318 with 50 inch deck and snow blower attachment. I am now hooked and I am glad I made the decision I did.

#66 cubcrazy OFFLINE  

cubcrazy

• Member No: 2545
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 10:26 AM

My itch for tinkering with garden tractors started about 35 yrs ago when my wife and I purchased our 1st home which was situated on 8 and a half acres of property. With the property came an old 3 gang toro reel mower that the older fella used to mow the grass. Needless to say I soon got found out after using it several times that it wasn't going to do what I wanted so I went out and bought a new Jacobsen 16 hp(Koehler) with a 50" deck and 42" snow thrower. Since then I have probably owned 25 different garden tractor. Oh by the way the old toro reel came in handy. I used the 8 hp from that to build a log splitter. My garden tractor stable has consisted of MTD 990's from the 70's, MTD Gt 2055's, Yardman Gt 1855's, and now a couple of cubs. I also have a Swisher zero turn and most recently pick up a Steiner. Also have a Farmtrac 55 hp with a 6' brush hog that I use to cut another 10 acres that I purchased a few years ago. Also have an old Troybuilt Horse tiller with a 7 hp tecumseh on it.
  • Craig. said thank you

#67 digjo1 OFFLINE  

digjo1

• Member No: 2562
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:01 PM

My Dad uses to start up the tractor we had and made me drive my brother and sister around in the cart, I was the oldest so I had to drive. I told him I hated it but he knew better :yelclap:

#68 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:29 PM

well mine started when i was about able to walk. I always wanted a farm tractor but never had the room for one. Then at the age of 10 i got a job on a small farm and in the barn a 1984 sears 11/36 lt was parked. So after many years of pestering my boss i finally got the tractor. And it was off from there. I started to collect any type of lawn equipment i could get my hands on including my two murrays and soon to be panzer 1107

#69 terdybukrat OFFLINE  

terdybukrat

• Member No: 2665
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I had always lived in an area that could be handled with a push mower until we moved to where we live now. I typically won't spend the money on new stuff, so I was having to replace my broken el cheapo riding mowers all the time. I talked to a lot of folks and finally decided that I wanted a John Deere. For quite a while, I looked for a 318, but the $$ was too steep. I ended up finding my '83 318 for a good price, but also ended up with a Sears SS12 with a front end loader. Initially, I thought it was just a toy, but the price was right. I wish I still had the Sears, but I sold it. I have now pretty much settled into JD garden tractors(currently have 3 318's) and the Simplicity/Allis Pow'rMax tractors(have 2 4040's and a 9020 with FEL). Its amazing how well older garden tractors were made and how capable they are.
  • Craig. said thank you

#70 nmcdowell OFFLINE  

nmcdowell

• Member No: 2399
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 01:46 PM

I saw a gravely at a tractor show and thought it was a strong powerful machine but a neat collecters item. so i started looking for one and found that you could get relatively cheap(if you found the right one) and I have just liked them eversince for some odd reason

#71 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 04:07 PM

My dad had about 5 acres to mow so we had riders since I can remember. The first "real" tractor I can remember was a wheel horse whose model number escapes me....I think it was a hydro though. At my first house I didn't have much (read "any") for a lawn but I had a Cub Cadet rider that we bought for $500. I obtained my father-in-law's IH Cub Cadet model 86 that he had bought new but was pretty well used up when I got it in the late 80's. I restored it and took it to a lot of shows back then. When we bought our farm land I needed to use it for working. I had a Haban sickle bar that I used to mow the side of the 1500' driveway with and the field edges. I graduated to compact tractors (a Massey Ferguson 1433 to start which I traded up to a 1552 cab model 6 years later).

In between I bought a Cub Cadet 1250 hydro to mow with. The thing smoked very badly but I had a freshly rebuilt 14 hp so I converted it into a 1450. This has a 50" deck with a PeCo bagger attachment and is my primary mower now.

The old 86 now has a 10 hp in it so even though it's still badged as an 86 it's really a 108. I use this with a 42" deck to mow between our Christmas trees about once/month.

My compact tractor does everything. It has a FEL with skid-steer type mounts. I do loader work with it, cut, rake, tedder, bale hay, haul a hay wagon, till, snow and land plow with it, and brush hog along the driveway and along the field edges.

I've always been a "red tractor" fan, (no offense to you Deere guys; you have a quality product no doubt, they just never floated my boat). My dad's wheel horse started that out and my FIL's love for IH Farmalls kind of got me headed in that direction. I know the Cub Cadets are not red, but they are IH. I did have a 782 for a while, but that ended up getting sold off before I could really get to it.

My attention now is towards Massey Fergusons. I have the compact tractor so why not? I picked up the 2 MF 10's that will be combined into one restored/refurbed tractor. I expect it to lead a pretty easy life on the farm but it will get used. I'd love to get a big MF 165 at some point as well!!

I also collect some red diecast tractors. I like a lot of detail so I have some 1/16 scale Farmalls (Precision Series) as well as a couple of AGCO boxed/Massey Ferguson tractors in 1/16. I have several 1/32 scale MF tractors as well. I like that size because you can still get a lot of detail without having them take up a lot of space.
  • Craig. said thank you

#72 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 05:26 AM

My first encounter was with the Sears GTV/16. This was given to me with no motor, but I had the Onan (also given to me). I married the two and used this for various duties. Then, about five years later, I came across the 108 Cub. Had to have it. Several years later, the Craftsman II was offered and I accepted, hauling it home. Played with these for a couple of years, then a friend gave me the MTD 14/42 LT. That became the main mower. This past December, I purchased the Ford LGT 165 and fell in love with it. They all haven't had the best in life, but the outlook it better than the alternative. Hope to get them all some much needed parts, paint, and TLC in the very near future.
  • Craig. said thank you

#73 ih674 OFFLINE  

ih674

• Member No: 2737
  • 8 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Have full sized tractors, but i wanted somthing smaller to take around the shows.

#74 ih674 OFFLINE  

ih674

• Member No: 2737
  • 8 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Also made myself a racer a few years back and wanted somthing slower to go with it.

#75 pidydahfool OFFLINE  

pidydahfool

• Member No: 2892
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 06:44 PM

had a friend at work talk me into it
  • Huskyfan said thank you