Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#46 tiredironman OFFLINE  

tiredironman

• Member No: 2028
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 03:25 PM

It started when I was 8 years old and dad bought a brand new Wheel Horse 414-8. Came with mower and snowplow. U can imagin the hours I spent on that machine. Since then I always have had an appreciation for a well built machine. Being a homeowner now, I have room for as many as I want ( with wifes approval). Still have the Wheel Horse and quite a few others. Just got a Toro Suburban for the wife.
  • Craig. said thank you

#47 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 03:31 PM

That is how it started for a lot of us here I bet.

#48 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 06:55 PM

I guess I would have to say my interest with garden tractors started with my late brother who passed in 2004. He was a small engine mechanic that worked out of his home in eastern Ontario. We are two years apart and when growing up we always had something on the go, go-carts, mini bikes anything with a engine, He always had a way with engines and could always make them work. When he died in 2004 he had a lot of tractors, lawn mowers, snowmobiles and such and I wish I could go back in time and save some of what he had. But before I could his widow got rid of all his equipment and left nothing. So I guess I'm carrying on his legacy in a sense in some way.
Scott
  • Craig. said thank you

#49 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 07:50 PM

You are doing a wonderful job. You are definitely on the right track. Keep working on your restoration and be inspired by your brother. We are all pulling for you.

#50 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:07 PM

...the previous owner left a BF Avery Model A on the property...

That's a great story JD! Those are both great tractors! Was the 300 a styled (rounded nose piece with the medallion top, front, and center) or un-styled front ( sort of squared off with the more common "Case" style from the '50's and '60's )? I've only ever seen 2 B.F. Avery's! That's a really rare machine, Do you still have it?
  • Craig. said thank you

#51 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:08 PM

You are doing a wonderful job. You are definitely on the right track. Keep working on your restoration and be inspired by your brother. We are all pulling for you.

Thank you so much for your inspiration.

#52 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 09:51 PM

No the 300 case was a Utility Model with a Square Grill and flat hood. The little tractor had a loader and a huge bucket. The unique thing about this one was it had a shuttle box and you could go forward or backward in any gear by clutching and moving one lever. It was quite fast for a small tractor to operate the loader. With the 3 pt hitch it made a nice unit for doing landscape work. Dad sold it to a guy who had a farm in Park Rapids, Mn. And as far as I know it's still there. I'd love to find one like it to use on my acreage.
The Avery ony had one wheel on the front. The transaxle finally broke, and Dad hooked the power unit up to a VAC Case Transaxle I'm not at all sure what ever happened to it.

Honestly I'm partial to Allis Chalmers and want a CA or D12.
  • caseguy said thank you

#53 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I had a newer John Deere that I used for mowing. When I tried to use it for snowplowing it was nearly worthless. Discouraged I sold it this winter and bought a 317. That was when I got the bug. These old mowers are really tractors. Their versatility and old school power is just awesome. I just picked up a 214 as well. I am already planning my next purchase and restorations.
  • Craig. said thank you

#54 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reply JD! I've never seen a 300 utility. That forward reverse lever would be a nice feature to have! I think the Avery's had an inline six cylinder Chrysler engine. That would sure make the VAC transaxle get up and go!
  • Craig. said thank you

#55 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply JD! I've never seen a 300 utility. That forward reverse lever would be a nice feature to have! I think the Avery's had an inline six cylinder Chrysler engine. That would sure make the VAC transaxle get up and go!

Well you my be right about never seeing a 300 utility. Talking to my brother tonight he corrected me. It was a 310 not a 300.
Though I think they ran the same engine?
The Avery Model A had a 4 cyl Hercules engine. I Think the Model R also was 4cyl, it was later a Minneapolis Moline Model R if I remember correctly.
There was also one smaller than the model A, it was two leters and one was V.
Inline Chryslers were used in several tractors. Wards had one that was pretty much all ChryslerEngine, Dodge Truck Transmition and differential .
There was one brand that was green that ran Chrysler Six and would do close to 70 mph pulling two wagons full of corn. Derlan Lester had one,but I can't remember the name on that tractor. Mind You I'm not saying it's smart to go that fast with two wagons weighing more than the tractor.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 13, 2011 - 11:14 PM.

• caseguy said thank you

#56 TennesseeVol OFFLINE  

TennesseeVol

• Member No: 2012
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 07:09 AM

It started for me in 1976 when I was about 8 years old my Dad got a Cub Cadet 128 Gear Drive.

He mounted a Craig AM/FM Radio mounted on the down slope of the rear wheel fender where your left leg went to the clutch with a antenna on the back left near the reflectors. Then it had 2 big Craig 6x9" speakers on either Fender!!

The last thing was it had a cup holder near the right speaker talk about being ahead of your time!? It really was for his beer but it also worked good for my Dr Peppers!!

After that I was hooked I could speed shift with the best of them.What young boy would not love a blaring radio and Dr Pepper while mowing in the 1970's.I do know it drawed a lot of attention.

We got rid of the Cub when I was 19-21 right before I got married.I have been looking for the last 2 years for a good 128 and I will eventually find one and I will let my 3 boys mow the yard with it.But I am sure they will be listening to their I-pod and not a Tractor mounted Radio!!

Oh, the good times and memories!!!
  • Craig. said thank you

#57 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 01:12 PM

George, Can we make this a sticky. It's very interesting to read how eveeryone got their start..

#58 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 01:35 PM

George, Can we make this a sticky. It's very interesting to read how eveeryone got their start..

Stuck :D
  • jhn9840 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#59 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:27 PM

:thumbs:Thank You Buddy !!!!:worshippy2:

#60 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for making this a sticky George. It is a very interesting thread.

I am a new comer to the tractor bug. Grew up in the city all my life until I bought a few acres outside of town about eight years ago. Thats all it took. Wish that I knew then what I have learned up til now. The first two tractors that I bought were Craftsman, DYT4000 & YTS4500. I still have and use them but for some reason I got the old Wheel Horse bug. Maybe because the older guy across the street has a 1978 C-81 that he has let me get ready for mowing season for him the last couple of years even let me use it a couple of times when he didn't feel up to doing the yard work. I keep pestering the wife about it and I am sure that she will break down eventually. She just doesn't understand why I would need to spend money on some old tractor when I have the Craftsman.

I envy you guys that have been around this stuff all your lives.

jhn9840
John
  • Craig. said thank you