Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#31 willy1430 OFFLINE  

willy1430

• Member No: 825
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 06:30 PM

Mine started when I bought 6 acres from my grandpa. It came with a JD212 from there I got a cc73 yanmar ym122 mtd 760 B80 wheelhorse craftsman II gt. That is just the begining. mtd 990 a powerking a Jd 400 series are still on my list.
  • Craig. said thank you

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 07:29 PM

:bump:

With all the new members here, I thought I'd kick start this again. It'll give the newer members a chance to tell us & let them read the older posts.

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 07:32 PM

That's a great idea.
Always interesting to hear how everyone became addicted to Tractors :D

#34 justwalt OFFLINE  

justwalt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1318
  • 4 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 09:15 PM

Well, when I wuz 5... I took apart a clock... and that started the
"take things apart phase".

The memories of the mid to late 60's are still fresh in my head.
As kids, we were always building go-carts, (push powered). Machines
were cool, and we were allowed to operate some of them in those days.

So, all my life has revolved around fixing machines... everything from
a tiny Cox engine to a Cat D9D dozer engine. I've worked in auto shops,
tractor shops, and in one company where we had to build our own boom trucks.

I fall into that group that has had to make something work without buying
new parts... or with no parts at all. Ya'll know what I mean.

AS for GT's, I wouldn't own a new one. I love the old machines, and I love
seeing them in like-new condition, working as they did so many years before.

But I do have the bug, and you guys and GTT have helped spread it around.
The fluke of buying the B-10 last month, then seeing the reactions from all
here at GTT has brought a formerly missed revelation to me about just how
popular GT's are in this day and age.

The friendship is more important, and I guess if GT's can perpetuate that,
then let roll.

And I see that there's even money to be made in these things.
(I hate money, so I only make what I need.)

But GT's are cool, and I'm looking forward to going to shows and maybe even
getting into some pulling... it's clean fun, which I need more of.

Walt
  • Craig. said thank you

#35 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 12:42 AM

I must've joined up right after this thread slipped below the surface...But here it goes.
I have always had a fascination with all things mechanical. If it had screws or bolts holding it together, I'd take it apart. The putting it back together...well that took a while to catch up with LOL! I worked on my vehicles growing up because I couldn't afford to have it done. I discovered that I liked the satisfaction of making a needed repair and it seemed easy to me somehow. Fast forward several years My wife and I moved onto some property that we'd bought from her grandparents estate. There is a lot of grass that covers 3.8 acres! A 1994 Wheel Horse 314 came with the property. My FIL also had three older WH's, a CC108, a Farmall H, and a Ford 9N. Not a collection per se, but an "I might be able to use that some day" mentality and the room to store them. I had a knack for keeping the things operational, so in the end, I wound up with all of the old GT's...and sold or gave them all away :wallbanging: for one reason or another...lack of storage space being the biggest factor. About 9 years ago, I caught the tractor bug...not the little ones though. I have 4 antique Case tractors and an IH TD340. (Remember that lack of space comment?) Recently, a friend caught the bug really bad! I started to see what he was doing with these GT's and what they were capable of! I was impressed. Last year I dug out the WH314 and an old WH snow plow that was here when I moved in and fabbed some brackets to make the one work with the other. I also bought another GT for the wheel weights and chains that I needed with every intention of selling it once I'd gotten what I needed from it. We dragged it home, and so we wouldn't have to push it everywhere it went, we tinkered with it until it was running, and the disease started to take root. (It's still sitting in my shed!) Six months later, that same friend introduced me to this site. Someone set that hook deep right then and there! It's been about a year since that first seed was planted...I now have 5 GT's in addition to the 5 big ones! (and a wee little path through my barn!)
I think the attraction...for me anyway...lies in the fact that there's always something new to learn about them. They are MUCH more diverse that their lager kin and are incredibly capable machines. What's not to love!
  • Craig. said thank you

#36 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Moved in my home 25 years ago I bought a 1612 Jim Dandy PK from the original owner, came with a 48' deck, snow plow and factory roto-tiller, duel trans and hyd lift thought it was everything I needed . Within a year the neighbor bought a John Deere 318 and asked if I want to try it , my lawn isn't very level and with hydo trans the 318 made going up and down hills easy , a week later I bought a 2 year old 318 trade-in from the JD dealer and kept the 1612 for gardening snow plowing. About 17 years ago the same neighbor was using the 1612 with the tiller broke the rear bull gear and half a tooth from the axle. At the time the new parts were about $200. I placed a "Wanted Power King /Economy tractor for parts " ad in a local paper , got a call from a guy with a 2418 with FEL,snow plow,new rear tires but it had a broken trans.and frame. He wouldn't give me a price on the phone , wanted me look at it first. Before I got a chance to see him another fellow called and had 1612 PowerKing he said his kid was going to restore but didn't , trans was stuck but did come with a dirt plow ,snow plow, disc , cultivator all for $200. When I called the first guy back and told him I bought a tractor and didn't need his he offered me the 2418 without the engine for $125 .Couldn't pass that up site unseen .Now I had three broken tractors. Found out the axles and bullgears are different on the ones I just bought .All three sat in the garage for a week while I was trying to figure out what to do when a third fellow called and sold me the correct bullgear . Used my old axle with the chipped tooth and that one was fixed. Between the 2418 & 1612 I had enough good parts to put a tractor together , figuring I didn't need a small tractor w/FEL because I have a Ford 3400 with FEL and backhoe . My plan was to make all the repairs paint it and sell it for a profit Turns out the small tractor is so handy I never got rid of it .In between my grandmother gave me my grandfather's David Bradley Tri-Trac , that one doesn't get used , hope to take it to some shows someday .
  • Craig. said thank you

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I have 4 antique Case tractors and an IH TD340.

I don't believe I've seen a pic of that TD340 here on GTT have I? Or did I? My memory is so bad sometimes. Maybe you can post of it in the "Big Tractor" forum. I have a 1960 T340 hi-lift with Drott loader/clam bucket. Maybe I have seen a pic of yours. My memory is saying 65 model?

#38 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 04:13 PM

I don't believe I've seen a pic of that TD340 here on GTT have I? Or did I? My memory is so bad sometimes. Maybe you can post of it in the "Big Tractor" forum. I have a 1960 T340 hi-lift with Drott loader/clam bucket. Maybe I have seen a pic of yours. My memory is saying 65 model?

Dan, it's here. I put a post in the big tractor forum with a link to the pic in the registry.

#39 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 02:54 AM

It appears to be a commen theme here but, machines are in my blood. I have always been fasinated how things work. as a kid I would take things appart to figure it out, took me a little bit to get the putting them back together part right(I'll leave out how that went over with dad). Fast foward to the GT part, when we moved here I was offered the Bolens QT16 with attachments by a retired neighbor that I was helping out. His price seemed a little steep for it...but, everything about it impressed me. I was dissapointed when the engine blew, but I just couldn't scrap it even though we quickly found a cheap grass cutter. Life had it's way of keeping me from looking into repairing it, so my exitement waned a bit. Then a friend that moved a little over an hour away came across the G12, Remembering how he had spent a few hours getting bounced around the yard with an old front tine tiller just trying to make a dent in the hard pack sod, before I got there and tilled up his new garden in two beers time. Then lapped him in a race that his b.i.l. challenged us to with his shinny new j.d. So long story not quite as long, the hook was already set with the qt, but now getting my second Bolens going that will finally make snow duty easy has got me hook line and sinker....And the more I learn about them the worse it gets, and the more discusted I get with modern manufacturing.
  • Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#40 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:55 PM

George,

It all started one warm sunny summer day back in 1968, when a white Chevy pick-up with a two wheel trailer started up our driveway. I was just 6yrs. old and outside in the sandbox playing with my own farm tractors, plowing or planting or who knows what was going though my little mind.When I noticed this rig coming in, I saw a red tractor and what looked like a complete set of (later I realized) Brinly tools with it on the trailer. Looking towards the house, I saw my dad standing at the top of the driveway waiting for the truck to stop. On the side of the truck said.Wheel Horse, I had no idea what that was.I ran up to dad to what in the world was going on, dad said he had bought a new garden tractor for mom to use around the farm. Here on this trailer set the most awsome thing I had ever seen. You need to know we farmed 600 acres with 2 A/C WD-45's and 1 Oliver Super88 Diesel rowcrop, and I had been driving the 45's in the field disking corn stalks for dad earlier that spring. Dad would get the 45 through the gate and get the depth set on the disk, then he would remind me that if I needed to stop for anything, just throw out the hand clutch and wait there for him.He would then get on the 88 and be in the same field, plowing and watching over me. Anyway back to the point, there on that trailer was a brand new Wheel Horse 1257 with a 48 mower deck under it. I thought to myself, here is my very own farm tractor to use around the place. Dad started teaching me all about mowing the yard with the 1257, only after he fabed a clutch extension for me to be able to reach the pedal.The next spring we started tractor pulling in the stock (supposed to be) classes in Greencastle In. just to the south of Crawfordsville, where I lived. We pulled all over the midwest with th Walbash Valley Tractor Puling Assc.,on dirt and concrete, indoors and outside. We did very well for a few years, won a lot of shows and championships, In 1972 mom and dad went through a bad financial time and had to sell the farm and move intown.They later seperated and dad moved away, taking my tractor with him.
I did get to use the 1257 when I went to visit him and for awhile I used it while it was stored at my grandpa's place. As I got older and out on my own, I always wanted a place with a big yard and garden. This way I would need a garden tractor to take care of it. Finally in 1993, I got a place in the country and needed something to mow with. My uncle called one day and said he had an Wheel Horse Auto14 with a 42" side discharge and snow blower that I could buy from him. We worked out the deal, and along with it I bought a W/H 416-8. I now have moved again out to texas and own around 30 tractors, some running and some are not. Like everybody else,I hope to some day restore and play with them all.
I just wish it would snow here sometime, because I have 5 different showblowers for different tractors and don't ever get use them.
  • Craig. and Oldford have said thanks

#41 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 12:54 PM

I worked on the farm after high school (59-63) & I got hooked on plowing. In mid 70's built my 1st GT
from drive train from old Shaw mower. (7 1/2 hp Wisconsin, 3 speed & worm drive rear. 2 1/2 -1 chain
reduction after rear to slow it down more.) In late 80's got MF14 for $50. Guy said it had bad coil. I
polished points & ran it to work garden & push snow until 2007. I bought Bush Hog JBI in 1999 for $450
complete with fel & bad motor. I didn't know what I had until I read Daniel's posts about Bush Hogs.
I came across this site while looking for a couple of Case GT's to build an articulated gt. I may still do
that but for now I'm going to fix the JBI. I am doing GT's because I'm short on room & money.
If I had a lot more of both, I would have an 830 diesel JD & a 2250 Oliver diesel. I don't have Classic
Tractor Fever, I have GT Fever.
  • Craig. said thank you

#42 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 03:03 PM

I bought Bush Hog JBI in 1999 for $450
complete with fel & bad motor. I didn't know what I had until I read Daniel's posts about Bush Hogs.

Looking forward to more about your JB Big John!

#43 Piston85 OFFLINE  

Piston85

• Member No: 2014
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 08:34 PM

The bug grabbed me at 5 years old. My next door neighbor had a 1967 Bolens 1050, the resident grandfather that was quite the fabricator and machinist. I can still remember the first time I saw the wagon he built from scratch, at that age it was just amazing to me. He would give rides in the steel wagon to all the kids every Saturday at noon. I always would hang around on Saturday after the ride was over and watch him build, fix, or create something in the garage. He saw my interest and taught me how to mow the lawn, with at that time a giant tractor in my eyes. I was king of the neighborhood because for as long as he was around he never let anyone else drive that Bolens but me. I fell in love with garden tractors from that first summer on. I've had many tractors over the years, and have learned, fixed and taught from the many techniques I was passed down from my next door neighbor.
Thanks for the cool thread and even cooler site
  • Craig. said thank you

#44 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 09, 2011 - 09:22 PM

i remember rideing on my grandfathers lap on his 67 bolens 850 (witch i have now). on the dash he had a sticker woth the pink panther witch at the time averitised ac delco spark plugs i beleave. so when my grand parents went on vacation it was my job to mow the grass. an i would bring the bolens to my house to mow the grass too since we live 1/4 mile down the street. then when i got tall enough i would run my dads bolens ieski h1502 diesel. then when my uncle needed help mowin i went there an ran his 1967 bolens estate keeper (witch i also have now) an that was my favorate tractor to run then he gave me a 72 bolens 1254. so when i was 7 or 8 i bought my first 67 bolens witch was my 1050 with the 36in blower an the tractor was bought frow the original owner an it was stored in a climate controled garage an the tractor was so tight an nice i had to have it an right next to it was a blue 1966 pontiac gto it was also very nice. an now i have all the 50 series 650-1250 an the gk960, ek10 an the lk and a few other tractors.
  • Craig. said thank you

#45 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Can't remember when tractors or anything with wheels did not facinate me? Grew up as a town kid till I was 14. But always spent a couple weeks on my uncles farm in SE Iowa every summer. Used to ride the fender while my uncle cultivated with a C Allis Chalmers. In 1964 my parents bought 5 acres in Newton and the previous owner left a BF Avery Model A on the property. Dad had a good job in the factory, but wit 7 children there was never enough money. So he adaptd a Ford Sicle mower to the Avery and started taking jobs for me and my brothers to do. The next year brought on 5 acres of sweet corn, sold for .35 per dozen.
Then Dad got a bigger tractor a 300 Case and started doing landscape grading. That's when he got the 8HP John Deere 110.
Guess it's been all downhill since. I'm now on 8+ acres and settinb it up as a truck farm to run in my retirement.
  • Craig. said thank you