Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#331 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,192 Thanks
  • 29,682 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:46 PM

For all us guys, I guess the simplest answer to the question "So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?" is...................... lawn and garden tractors!   :smilewink: 

• KennyP said thank you

#332 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 883 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 09:25 PM

When I turned 6 years old, my dad bought a new house, To cut the lawn, he bought a FORD LGT 125. As an 8 year old, I was expected to cut the lawn on an offset hill.
Long story short- I am 46. My father has dementia, and has no grasp on reality.
I restore LGT's as a hidden way to re-establish contact,
,me- I repowered my LGT with a 23 hp engine
my dad-" that what all my LGT's have"
If for nothing else, I wish he could share what I (we ) have done... but  I cannot, nor can he, appreciate it .
I could put nuclear  kryptonite in it and he wouldnt know the difference...
Oh well....
make the best of what you have got!

I'm sure it's rough but at least you have him here with you.
  • dualresponse1731 said thank you

#333 gksyn OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83585
  • 54 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Well, I mentioned this in my first post here in GTtalk.
Josh Deaven invited me to his Lawn and Garden Tractor EXPO in Lebanon Valley, PA to showcase my AMSOIL Dealership.
I met a lot of great people and had a lot of great conversations.
This was in February 2016. Since then I've received several Facebook friend requests from people I met and the bug got me! I kept seeing tractors and Cubs and IH Farmalls, etc in my feed.
Did some research to find out what I wanted and ended up with a Ford LGT 14D Diesel.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#334 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Normally I prolly wouldn't venture to this thread but some pictureswere recently given to us and there's a very touching an amazing story behind them that I feel like sharing. My parents moved to a small town in southern north Dakota in the late eighties just before me or my brother were born. Like all small towns the people were extremely nice one man in particular would change our families life forever. He was a large single man who lived in a pink house across the street. One day he stopped over to say hello and ever since that fateful day he has been a part of our lives. My parents only lived in this small town for half a year before moving to the big city. Thankfully our friendship with this man didn't end when they moved. The small town held a threshing show every fall that we never missed. This is where me and my little brother became fascinated with steam engines, tractors and hit and miss engines. Since he knew the people we got to ride in stuff, touch stuff eventually driving tractors in the parade. Sadly this show ended about five years ago and everything was sold. We went back many times throughoutthe year in the fall for hunting winter for Christmas parties and spring and summer just to hang out and drive lawn mowers, shoot guns and play around and have fun. The very first thing me and my brother learned to drive on was a 90s yard man big and yellow and green. Now looking back I realize it's a pretty low quality mower but when your ten you don't care it was magical almost. We would drive through the whole town across yards we had an absolute blast. Eventually when we got older we would Moe his yard for him teaching taking a mower since he had at any one time about ten of them laying around. Eventually my little brother got a cub cadet 129 out of a barn they had for free and that sparked his fever he fixed it got it going and now he has two of them. Over the past few years he's let me brother take alot of them home now he's at about ten everything from big mows to a jd 112 to a Jacobsen turf king from the sixties. Eventually I caught the fever and ended up liking allis so i bought some Orange ones for myself but without his amazingly kind loving man to show u how to drive and where the guvenator goes we wouldn't have such a love for these machines. Sadly he passed away memorial day weekend and its been very hard he was a grandfather figure to us but his family recently auctioned off his stuff and we got a couple more mowers and a ton of photos and I couldn't help but smile seeing them. Anyway that's my story and the man who helped spark our love Clifford m Glynn .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160808_132355748.jpg
  • IMG_20160808_132223663.jpg
  • IMG_20160808_132105550.jpg
  • IMG_20160808_132019864.jpg
  • IMG_20160808_132033714.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1448734341192.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1457750752977.jpg

• KennyP, EricR and MGP59DB have said thanks

• Member No: 84305
  • 216 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:29 AM

When i was 16, i was to poor to afford an ATV, so i drug my dads old huskee outta the barn, found a running 11hp briggs for 20bucks, bolted it in and yanked the deck off, bought some mini tractor lugs, my buddy had an old craftsman, we spent hours and days riding thru woods, swamps, anything we could find. Youd be damn surprised whae a mower will get thru with decent tires :)

Now i have..

3 tube frame bolens (2 G9s and a G10)
A LT8 Ford.
Cub cadet 2185.
1970s ish Yardman 11/4.
Cub Cadet LT1042 (what i mow with)
Cub Cadet RZT L 54 (what i make money with)

Unfourtantly, only the last 2 listed run, but hopefully ill have time to change that once winter hits and mowing slows down (i also haul milk)
  • KennyP and MGP59DB have said thanks

#336 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84410
  • 96 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Wasn't an itch but a need for something to do some work. Bought my first Simplicity in new 1968 after using my landlords a couple times. Had hydro lift, rototiller with tine extension, 42" blade and a set of cultivators. Made my own wheel weights out 10" bar stock and they wieghed about 95#s each. The wife practically gave it away after we separated. Fast forward to 1994 I bought some lots to build a new home so I needed something to work in the yard so I found a 3410 at a dealer and got a tillers with it. It needed a new PTO clutch cone and I got a blade at that dealer. This spring I tore the gears out of the BGB and found a 7012 a day after I ordered new gears. The 7012H was supposed to have new rings but am having problems with the engine. Also have an old one that belongs to my son that is possibly a 314, can't find an ID plate, but is in sad shape.

#337 64fleetside OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77612
  • 47 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 09:17 PM

I got the itch after a neighbor bladed out a ditch for me using a reallly tiny Kubota with turf tires, my barber had bought about a dozen cub cadets and offered me pick of the litter. I bought a clean 129. I fixed the steering, added hydraulic lift,'new tires and bought a tiller. Now i have a 104, 1200, and a 1650. Spent way too much on parts but have 4 machines running and no payments.
  • MH81 said thank you