Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#316 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted December 01, 2015 - 10:08 PM

when i was a kid my dad was always buying old cubs and he would fix them up and mow with them for a month or 2 then sell it off and buy another one and do it all again, i had a 70 i rode around like a go kart. my dad owns a collision shop which is where i work , i do all the paint and bodywork at the shop. he moved on from cubs and now we restore vintage farm tractors,you can see our work at http://arthurstractors.com/ . about 10 years ago my wife and i moved in together and i needed a tractor and i knew it had to be a cub, the first cub i drug home was a 100 with a plow and 42" deck and of course i got questioned about why i wanted that old junky tractor over a new one,since then shes learned better and really doesn't complain much when i drag a new one home. ive had alot of cubs since then and ive restored a few and i enjoy taking them to shows with my 5yr old son and hopefully my 1yr old son when he gets a little bigger, they both really seem to like the tractors and i hope its something they can share with there own kids some day.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150829_162112184.jpg

Edited by olds45512, December 01, 2015 - 10:56 PM.

• MolonLabe and BNK have said thanks

#317 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted December 08, 2015 - 10:43 AM

My itch was started by bill, my moto mower 6020. I got him when I was 15.

Story time!!!

Biking around the neighbourhood. Stopped and talked to my best friends neighbor who in this will be referred to as the old Dutchman. I asked the old Dutchman if he had any lawn tractors or similar items he wanted to sell. He said yes. I asked if I could have a look. He said yes. It was love at first sight. There he was. Mint condition with everything all there. I came back a few days later and asked him how much he wanted. He told me $25. I made him just a bit deaferer when I shouted SOLD. So about a week later I pushed my new pride and joy down the road about a 10 minute walk. With 6 kids from ages 4 to 15. We put the 4 year old on the seat and told him steer. The rest of us pushed. We tried starting the old briggs that was original to bill. About 2 weeks later I went "screw that!!" And went to the Canadian version of harbour freight (tool town) to get myself a brand new shiny 6.5 hp Honda clone. I did I get it. I promptly installed it and realized I had a brain fart. I needed the pulley that goes on the motor to go to the drive belt. I went to just about every place in town to get a 3/4" shaft by 3 1/2 inch pulley. By the end of the day I was very mad because I just could not get it NOW. So on the way home I went past the cub cadet dealership and I yelled STOP!!!! I got the pulley. So I went home oh so happy. That meant I could drive bill. So the pulley went on. I drive bill around the yard. I decided to go mudding. So I went through the pasture to the creek. Front tires made it to the other side of the creek. There was a ledge... Bill's from end went up and then it went back down with me under it. Still happy tool town has low oil shutdown. Bill stopped with me under him going the heck do I do now. I pushed him off of me. Waited a while and started him back up. Put him in reverse and started pushing. Got out of the creek. I then parked him for the night. Next day I went to my best friends house on bill. We drove around. And around and around and around and around. At about 6:00 we said together DRAG RACE!!! So I started bill. They started their parents fairly shiny new cub cadet. I put bill in 3rd gear and put him to full throttle. My best friends younger brother was the start guy. He told us to start. I dumped the clutch the belt squealed like a boar that backed into the electric fence and the front end promptly lifted off the ground about 18" (that's what my best friends younger brother said) he won't the race by virtue of being on the inside edge of the corner. i packed up and went home. Defeated. By a 2008 cub cadet. But we had fun!

hope you enjoyed the story. I remember this like it was yesterday

Anyone know how to load pictures from an iPhone?

Edited by Greasy6020, December 08, 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#318 Old5088 OFFLINE  

Old5088
  • Member No: 80635
  • 15 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 02:51 PM

It all started when i took the truck in for a oil change at the dealer i passed a Cub dealer,i stopped on the way back

there were not a lot of used Cub tractors in my price range

but there was a shiny orange Agco Allis 918H there came with a mower deck & turbo attachment that had a trailer and a snow thrower

i bought it

Walking behind a power mower and snow blower got old sitting in a seat was much better, i used that combo for over 15 years till the 18hp V-Twin Kohler  Command blew a head gasket with high hopes i thought i could fix it but found out the engine label with all the numbers the dealer need to order new valve guides was unreadable and was told without those numbers they cannot order the guides

i also went to a machine shop in farm country hoping they could get the old Kohler working but they said the same thing no numbers your out of luck - i was very disappointed, so i went back to the walk behind mower then it hit me

I have a Club Car golf cart it has a seat i hooked those mower to the rear of the cart which worked great for a whilee till i found a craigslist ad for a Ford YT16H with a mower deck, snow thrower & chains went and bought that unit next it worked ok but the snow thrower was not as good as the Allis which ate snow banks the county plows left on my property

So i'm up to two now the 918H & Yt16H when i saw a Simplicity 5216 for sale a few miles away the price seem good but he said he would sell it for a $100 less if i took it today which i did the only thing it was tractor only there were no attachments

now i have three but i forgot a Snapper rear engine i got at a garage sale they gave me a price i couldn't say no to

All this started when the Agco Allis 918H went down that was a sad day, hopefully one day she will run again

• KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#319 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 03:22 PM

It all started when i took the truck in for a oil change at the dealer i passed a Cub dealer,i stopped on the way back

there were not a lot of used Cub tractors in my price range

but there was a shiny orange Agco Allis 918H there came with a mower deck & turbo attachment that had a trailer and a snow thrower

i bought it

Walking behind a power mower and snow blower got old sitting in a seat was much better, i used that combo for over 15 years till the 18hp V-Twin Kohler  Command blew a head gasket with high hopes i thought i could fix it but found out the engine label with all the numbers the dealer need to order new valve guides was unreadable and was told without those numbers they cannot order the guides

i also went to a machine shop in farm country hoping they could get the old Kohler working but they said the same thing no numbers your out of luck - i was very disappointed, so i went back to the walk behind mower then it hit me

I have a Club Car golf cart it has a seat i hooked those mower to the rear of the cart which worked great for a whilee till i found a craigslist ad for a Ford YT16H with a mower deck, snow thrower & chains went and bought that unit next it worked ok but the snow thrower was not as good as the Allis which ate snow banks the county plows left on my property

So i'm up to two now the 918H & Yt16H when i saw a Simplicity 5216 for sale a few miles away the price seem good but he said he would sell it for a $100 less if i took it today which i did the only thing it was tractor only there were no attachments

now i have three but i forgot a Snapper rear engine i got at a garage sale they gave me a price i couldn't say no to

All this started when the Agco Allis 918H went down that was a sad day, hopefully one day she will run again

Heres hoping. could you find a replacment motor?

• KennyP said thank you

#320 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:05 AM

I got hooked on small tractors after a relative let me drive their brand new Sears SS15 when I was about seven. He had about 10 acres to cut and I'd go there every week just to get to drive the tractor.
At home we didn't have enough grass to justify a tractor but I was 10 when I dragged my first one home.

A few hundred tractors later and I'm still at it.

• KennyP said thank you

#321 danvan54 OFFLINE  

danvan54

• Member No: 4271
  • 20 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 02:10 PM

About time I joined all of you out there- I bought a John Deere 212 for my son to mow lawns with when he was about 14.  He had to fight me for seat time in the beginning, but he made some nice $$ for several years.  The deck finally rotted out and the dealer gave us more for trade in value than the new deck would have cost.  The next tractor was a Deere 240 and is still being used by my younger son today, with a dirt blade and a snowblower with it.  Personally, I have 5 Deeres in the "herd" right now- 316, two 317s, 318 and a 140.  I have a bad case of "Green Fever" !

#322 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 02:16 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Gonna have to posts some pics of the herd! Check the link in my signature!

• Charger said thank you

#323 Charger OFFLINE  

Charger
  • Member No: 82688
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 05:08 PM

My itch was when i wanted to learn how to fix tractors and see old iron run again
  • Bmerf said thank you

#324 scooter12 OFFLINE  

scooter12
  • Member No: 82864
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hello all,

I'm a new member here and hope to learn and share.  I bought small acreage 20 years ago and always borrowed my buddy's Kubota to mow, then he moved and it didn't get mowed for a few years.  I couldn't afford a 4 wheel tractor and discovered a Gravely 5260 with a 30 inch mower in Craigslist.  I ended up buying it and loved it.  After a couple of years I had aquirred 4 more Gravely L models and many implements including snow blades, rotary plows, cultivators, a reel mower,  sulkies and a snowblower.  I recently met a woman that is selling her Washington property and moving to California.  She said she had some old tractors she wanted to sell.  I went and looked and this weekend I'm bringing home a 1958 Cub with a sickle bar mower, a 1953 Ford Jubilee with a trip bucket front loader, a Jaques Mighty Mite with a sickle bar mower and a lot of other implements.  I can't wait to get it sorted out and start working them.

Scooter from Lynden, Wa.

• Gtractor, limebuzz, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#325 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hello all,

I'm a new member here and hope to learn and share.  I bought small acreage 20 years ago and always borrowed my buddy's Kubota to mow, then he moved and it didn't get mowed for a few years.  I couldn't afford a 4 wheel tractor and discovered a Gravely 5260 with a 30 inch mower in Craigslist.  I ended up buying it and loved it.  After a couple of years I had aquirred 4 more Gravely L models and many implements including snow blades, rotary plows, cultivators, a reel mower,  sulkies and a snowblower.  I recently met a woman that is selling her Washington property and moving to California.  She said she had some old tractors she wanted to sell.  I went and looked and this weekend I'm bringing home a 1958 Cub with a sickle bar mower, a 1953 Ford Jubilee with a trip bucket front loader, a Jaques Mighty Mite with a sickle bar mower and a lot of other implements.  I can't wait to get it sorted out and start working them.

Scooter from Lynden, Wa.

YEP! You're infected!

• scooter12 said thank you

#326 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hello all,

Scooter from Lynden, Wa.

Welcome to the tractor asylum. We are all crazy, but it is a good kind of crazy. 

• scooter12 said thank you

#327 scooter12 OFFLINE  

scooter12
  • Member No: 82864
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Back in the mid to late 1990s I was working for a billboard company. The bosshole was tighter than bark on a tree and wouldn't spend any money on equipment. His idea of a weed cutter was a corn knife. We were always swinging those knives and I got the bright idea that a cheap lightweight walk behind brush saw or garden tractor with sickle could be lifted into the company pickup by a couple of guys and taken with us during the growing season. The first auction I went to had two lightweight walkbehinds that were rough to say the least. I figured ten bucks ought to buy either of them and I should be able to get at least one running. I bid both to $45 each and they sold for $50 each. Not crazy high but they weren't anything special and I decided to look elsewhere.
My plans were expedited one day when I missed the sappling I was aiming at and my shin was used to stop the forward motion of the knife. :mad2: I decided I would buy the next brush saw I found! :wallbanging:
The next opportunity down the pike was an auction with "two Gravely walk behinds and several attachments" listed. I went to the auction and bought everything in one lot. The Gravelys cost a lot more than the previous auctions mowers!! :wallbanging: The only other bidder was the brother of the deceased seller. That let me know these garden tractors were appreciated. My dad was at the auction too and he laughed at me saying "you think two guys are going to pick that up and set it in a pickup?" I haden't even thought of that and of how much a Gravely weighs. Heck, I had never even heard of a Gravely!!
Luckily, my pickup had a liftgate and loading was easy. One tractor was parts only and the co-bidder said the other would run. That evening I started the Gravely and realized this was not what I needed, but it sure was kewell!! :bounce:
A month later, I quit that job, but I was hooked on garden tractors and in the next ten years I acquired right at 100 garden tractors. Gravelys are still my favorite.

I love those Gravelys too.  Have a 1984 5260, 3 LS models and an L8.

• Gtractor said thank you

#328 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 165 Thanks
  • 134 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 08:13 PM

When I turned 6 years old, my dad bought a new house, To cut the lawn, he bought a FORD LGT 125. As an 8 year old, I was expected to cut the lawn on an offset hill.

Long story short- I am 46. My father has dementia, and has no grasp on reality.

I restore LGT's as a hidden way to re-establish contact,

,me- I repowered my LGT with a 23 hp engine

my dad-" that what all my LGT's have"

If for nothing else, I wish he could share what I (we ) have done... but  I cannot, nor can he, appreciate it .

I could put nuclear  kryptonite in it and he wouldnt know the difference...

Oh well....

make the best of what you have got!

Edited by dualresponse1731, May 13, 2016 - 08:20 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#329 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:16 AM

i got started real young at around 6 - 7 years old my dad and uncle would be out mowing and I wanted to mow also...so they let me push a short distance while they keep watch. I was never allowed to run the farm machines ,when ever a mower would break down it usually got shoved in the back of the barn with the intension of being fixed but they rarely had time to ...so I got into them and started to tear things apart , never could get them together again but from there it had my interest, my dad or uncle would help while I did some repairs and I bought manuals etc to learn...that was around 55 years ago and I still like to mess around with mowers , mainly the old stuff  ,getting to the point where I have a hard time working on just about anything with back problems  so  I thinned out the herd to just two riders and two push mowers

• KennyP said thank you

#330 Jeff in PA OFFLINE  

Jeff in PA
  • Member No: 83643
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I grew up on a farm so I was surrounded by equipment.  My Grandfather liked John Deere so that was the first mower I ran. His first was a round fender JD 112 and his last was a 318.  Plenty of other JD's in between.

When I got my second house in '03 with a lawn bigger than a what I wanted to do with a push mower, I purchased a 1968 Cub Cadet 125 from a coworker.  Nice package deal with a 42" mower deck, 42" front blade , QA42 snow thrower and a Trac Vac system.

Still have that one and I purchased another 125 with hydraulic lift that gets snow duty.

Jeff