Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#301 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:12 PM

When I was around 12 my dad started buying parts from this junkyard that the owner used lawn tractors with small trailers to haul stuff around the yard,I had a old sears riding mower that only had forward and reverse so those lawn tractors looked more interesting then what I had so when I had the chance some 30 years later to get some I did to make up for not having one when I was much younger.

#302 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Not sure if I have the itch yet. I tinker with older vehicles and have a need for a small footprint vehicle to move my other vehicles in and around my shop. Have  a lead on an old late 60's 14HP manual. I think transmission Ranger Imperial garden tractor with the Whites Stores, Inc label. Not sure if it will do the job but need to find out where to look for replacement parts. I browsed this site, but it is so large, I decided to just post first to see if I can make a parts connection. Thanks. I have seen a lot of extremely nice machines so far. 

#303 gott_cha OFFLINE  

gott_cha
  • Member No: 57127
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Well I have always liked OLD machines...cars trucks Bi-planes mowers Tractors Firearms....etc etc.

5 years ago I bought a small piece of land In the country I wanted to live on.(.grew up in a Coastal Carolina City)  a friend of mine gave me an old DR walk behind bush-hog with an 8hp briggs that didnt run...I got her going and used it to clear off most of the brush on my land...

1st year there my rear tine tiller broke a connecting rod so I pulled the 8hp from he DR and repowered my tiller with it.

2010 I bought a used (Worn out) JD LT120 to mow with,..the a nice rebuilt eary 90's MTD GT with a 20HP briggs...junked out the JD..and put the engine on an old Murry frame to use as a Yard Mule........back in the spring this year I bought a 2 year old Torro Zero-turn mower.....WOW...this is a money pit hobby...LOL!

A month ago I found a running 1977 16/6 Sears with no deck but good AG tires and a 3 point hitch...$100 Thought it would be nice to work a garden with.....haahaa the walk behind tiller takes much toooo looong..

I am going this morning to pick up a 1968 Sears Suburban 12...the engine doesnt run but the Tractor is "Complete" and has been garage kept......also $100.    LOL!  I'm hooked :)

• MountainMichael said thank you

#304 thadscub OFFLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 69 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 12:44 PM

my itch for lawn and garden tractor started when my granpa got a cub cadet 122 all the fun with it i thought nothing about for several years untill i found what they could do and i got the tractor for free and have fixed it up and have been amazed what it can do

• BNK said thank you

#305 MountainMichael OFFLINE  

MountainMichael
  • Member No: 61630
  • 167 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Most of this is in my intro, but here goes for this thread anyway

In a word, what started my interest was:  Necessity.  Excessive bla bla ensues if you're interested in details.

In 2000-2003, I lived in the eastern plains of Colorado and a lawn tractor wasn't really enough for a large lawn and big snow drift challenges in winter. 

I was out of state in southern climes for about 5 years, then about 6 years ago, I purchased a VA foreclosure fixer-upper property in the high mountain desert type area of SW Colorado.  It's at 7,150 feet elevation with lots of pinion, cedar and juniper trees but also a lot of prairie grass, weeds, etc.  Sometimes wicked snow storms in winter with high winds and drifting.   

There's a kinda' sorta HOA that says no lawns in order to conserve water.  Perpetual drout meant that no mowing was necessary for the past 5 years.  But this past year has been soppy wet so some prairie grass, weeds and cactuses took off.  I'm gonna need a tractor and mower that can deal with some fairly rough turf.  A neighbor lent me his trusty old lawn tractor but it is right at its limit in this area.  A GT with bigger tires (bigger everything) will probably be perfect. 

I sold my previously inadequate lawn tractor years ago.  In winters, my walk behind snow thrower is kinda dangerous on the hilly loop driveway 'cause falling down is bad for us folks with artificial joints.  Also, I knew that a garden tractor could probably push the snow a lot faster than a walkin' thrower.  With an El Nino year dumping a lot of moisture, we could have a LOT of snow coming this winter.  A neighbor says he saw 6 feet of snow in my driveway the year before I bought the place...  yikes.   

My Dad collects and restores Fordson Major tractors.  I've helped restore some of those and generally enjoyed working on the full size tractors.  So Dad's hobby brings him some interesting deals on old garden tractors as well.  He heard my brother and me talking about my need for a garden tractor.  So he gave me a GT that had been sitting for about 11 years - ouside but under a tarp. Not sure of year; Dad said 1968 but owner's manual model number suggests 1970 Sears Super HydroTrac 12.  It came with a nice 3 point implement hitch, moldboard plow and estate rake along with manuals for everything.   

2 engines with it.  Both probably need rings because of numerous dirt leaks in intake tract so I'm getting into that and taking care of all the leaks now.  Posted some pics in intros.  It gives me a sense of history working on a 44 year old garden tractor and I'm really enjoying working on the Super.  As others have said:  How cool is it that we can fix/rebuild/restore antiques in this hobby and actually have everyone ok (or even enthusiastic) with us putting the historic hardware to full use?  I like that a lot.     

Just bought a 46" dozer blade and brackets from all around good guy Joe (Joe's Outdoor Power) in eBay.  I expect this will be a lot safer and quicker for me for moving snow than the thrower has been. 

Micke 

Edited by MountainMichael, August 29, 2014 - 08:14 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and BNK have said thanks

#306 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 08:02 PM

I remenber being a kid maybe 4 or 5 and there was an old yellow rider at my gramp parents it never ran I have no idea what it even was . I was on cl on night and there it was a sears custom 8 I just had to have it I had no idea that people even messed with old gt and then I was looking up stuff on line for the sears and I found it some other people that had the same bug I did and thats what started it even thou I have never got the sear moving do to the fact that it  dont have the right transmission in it I have added a few others along the way I have a allis chalmers big 10 . A sears cutom 10 xl that my friend had to buy as soon as I got it but he now has the bug also 

• Alc said thank you

#307 aggopian OFFLINE  

aggopian
  • Member No: 63821
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I've always liked tinkering on stuff. I have fixed or rebuilt my own lawn tractors for years. Why buy a new tractor for 1k plus when you can fix it for pennies? But it was always newer stuff.

Then a friend of mine in NJ drive up with a mower in the back of his truck. It was a yellow Mustang. I immediately fell in love with the simplicity of the design and started looking for other early examples. I ended up with a REO RR-67 I believe is the correct model.

I ended up trading it to my friend in NJ for a usable mower when I moved south.

Recently a neighbor came across a Toro 57100 and I snatchit it up for $75. I did a complete tear down and restored it to 100% function.

I look forward to doing more and enjoying my new hobby.

#308 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 10:54 AM

I lived out on the river at my uncles place for the summer 15 years ago . He is an avid antiques collector with a diverse interest in all things old. He had this David Bradley Suburban sitting in the garage . I always liked the way it looked .

Last summer I went out to his place to photograph a 1964.5 Mustang convertible he owns to try to help sell it . I turned around and saw that old DB .

I took a picture of it . He would not sell it to me , so I started researching . The more I found out about it,  the more I wanted one of my own.

It took me 3-4 months of looking , I could not get this thing out of my head . I did not want a GT,  I wanted that GT . Now 53 YO with a workshop of my own I had all I needed and a place to do it. So after a long search and many times of turning down other machines that fell short or cost too much I found this machine at a reasonable price . I had to drive 200miles and pull a trailer to get it.  

It was the best decision I had ever made . - Well it was actually not a decision I made - it made itself .

I was a Heavy Equipment Operator in the SeaBee's Navy Reserves after Active Duty . I also ran Lawn Crews - and owned my own business for 10 years operating a lawn service . I had new equipment that was always breaking down and was just weak and inferior .

I now have this 59 David Bradley Suburban 'Tractor' that excites me to no end . Yes it needs a lot of work , that will be the fun of it . I know when I get it done I will have something . This is only the start .

9W96PGX.jpg

Edited by MGP59DB, March 09, 2015 - 10:57 AM.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#309 cub_125 OFFLINE  

cub_125
  • Member No: 70788
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:25 PM

I always had a thing for the international 1066 and 1466 turbo tractors and it led to the cubs.
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#310 cub_125 OFFLINE  

cub_125
  • Member No: 70788
  • 6 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Actually can't decide if I want to do original paint and decals on the cub or make it look like a mini 1066.

#311 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 07:50 PM

Was at an auction last year and a Bolens 1053 with blade and deck was selling way to cheap.  So got in one the bidding and the next thing I knew the other two quit and I had a GT.  Now I have 6 of them ,2 and 4 wheel.  attachments include 3 decks, 2 tillers, 2 throwers, 2 Brinly cultivators + one for sale.  A Gardener cultivator and plow, a Brinly plow and a disc, a 42 bar mower for the BCS tractor, 2 blades and probably some more I can't think of right off.

#312 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Well my story began when I moved into a home in the early 80's that had an acre of grass to cut. Pushing a mower was not fun so the hunt was on for a GT. Found an old Ford with a big deck and got it running quick. Then I decided to plant a garden and borrowed a rototiller from a friend. I love the outdoors and gardening but knew I needed something better than the little rototiller. Then it happened, a friend told me about a Suburban 10HP gt with a cart and a plow and disks and a front blade too. I bought it and have never turned back. I still use all of my gt's in the garden which at my current home is 1/2 acre and I have a blast using the different attachments as needed. With 3 10HP Sears tractors and an 18HP for the lawn my collection is still growing. It is truely my stress reliever to go tinker with the tractors. I'm now collecting all the different attachments I can from snow blowers to cultivators. I'm way hooked and having fun to boot, in fact I'm going tomorrow to pick up a rototiller with the 3 point hitch set up to fit any of my sears gt's. It is so cool to know if 1 doesn't start I just move over 1 and take the next. Of course I built a tractor pole barn 2 years ago and I'm running out of room. Answer: build a bigger barn!!!!  No I'm not hooked............

#313 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 11:17 AM

I moved to a new property which had more restricted access to the backyard, this meant I could no longer backup the utility trailer into the yard using my car (the trailer empty weighs 1000lbs!). I had just recently bought a brand new Ariens rideon mower and figured I could use it to pull the trailer but that was a fail - bent the crap out of the hitch plate.

PlanB was to get an older CHEAP lawn tractor - I read on the internet that the older pre-80's tractors were build stronger, so to make a long story short I ended up with a restored Bolens 800. The tractor was perfect except for the carburetor which needed a rebuild, needed the proper belts installed and it was missing minor parts such as belt guides. I figured I would be better off buying a parts tractor than trying to source the missing parts individually, so I drove to Utica NY (4 hours) to get a 175$ Bolens 900 which had not run in 15 years and was rusted solid.

I wanted to start the 900 to assess the condition of the engine, transmission, etc ... so after about 2 hours it was running and it ran surprisingly good so I decided to keep this tractor whole and find another parts tractor instead.

So next I responded to a CL add from a fellow that had an 850 and a 1050 for sale in NH (6 hour drive), I was only interested in the 850 since it had the S8D engine with the identical transmission, etc.. which is same as my 800 and 900, but the guy would not separate. I ended up with 2 more beat up tractors but both all original for 425$ including mower decks and snowblower.

The 1050 "only" needed a head gasket and carb rebuild and the 850 had not in a long time but was running before being stored outside under a tarp for years.

So both these tractors are also in too good of a shape to use as parts tractor, so I needed more parts tractors ... lol

CL add again - responded to an add in Kingston Ont (3 hour drive), came back with a busted 1050, rototiller, snowblower for 200$. This thing was in really bad shape - the previous owner had converted the throttle to foot operation in full redneck style, steering gears completely worn out, axle seals shot, carb needs rebuild, coil is broken, locking hub is broken, etc... finally a parts tractor !! broke that one up for parts to help rebuild the (better) 1050.

So at this time I have 4 tractors going - the 1050 runs GREAT after the head gasket change and carb rebuild but it smokes, the 850 runs great after carb rebuild but it needs a head gasket, the 800 is perfect - sourced all missing belt guides, changed the belts and rebuilt the carb. The 900 is ugly but runs really nice, rebuilt carb - no smoke but it needs clutch and belts etc... it's my regular use tractor along with the 1050.

I only needed a small inexpensive tractor to bring the trailer in the backyard...

#314 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Years ago I was given a wheelhorse but gave it to my brother. Always wanted another so I found a C-121 12 horse with hydro. Bought every attachment for it and worked it hard on my 12 acres. Decided to pretty it up so looked around and found a 1980 1612 powerking with 3 point and hydraulics. Decided to pick up a newer craftsman just for cutting grass. My wife even helps me find old gt's. I am so lucky. I am sure there will be more.

#315 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 09:46 AM

I was fortunate to grow up in the country. As soon as school ended the jeans were cut-off and I was out the door. I grew up on my uncles' farm tractors and garden tractors. One of my uncles worked at a Massey dealer across the state line. He didn't have kids until later in life and I got to spend a lot of time with him and my aunt. Talk about fun. Spending the weekend with a kidless aunt and uncle. I got fed well and my uncle did cool stuff with me. Some of it was because he didn't know what 8 year old boys should or shouldn't be doing. Gravy biscuits and chocolate milk for breakfast and off to the Massey store on Saturday morning. I roamed all over the lot and went with him to deliver equipment and parts. Then he would "let" me mow with his MF8 when we got back in the evenings. Another uncle always had his hands on a wrench. I spent a lot of my summers walking to his house and hanging out with him. And riding his 8N which once was my pawpaw's tractor.

Fast forward a few years/decades, my uncle passes and my cousin gives me his 8N. A good friend of mine shows up with a late 60s Landlord one day that his dad restored and refused to take any money for it. Both have since passed. I mow with that Simplicity. Then another good friend inherited a barn full of stuff from his uncle. I bought a Super 12 from him to help him clear things out. Then I did some research and found out I had something really nice. Now I have a few David Bradley walk behinds just because I think they are cool, two more Suburbans and a fence row of implements.

What I really want is an MF. The ones I have found so far are incredibly rough or incredibly over priced. One day I will find the right one.
  • KennyP said thank you