Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#286 WH55 OFFLINE  

WH55
  • Member No: 34102
  • 48 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 03:08 AM

I've been a machinery fan all of my life and I've worked on some pretty big stuff over the years, but I got cancer back in 2003 and then again in 2006. By the time I finished the treatments, I could no longer work on the locomotives and cars at the railroad museum, so a big part of my life ended. I retired on disability in 2006 and I began looking for a replacement hobby. A lot of my friends thought I would become a model railroader as I'd once been, but I soon ran into the same problem that took me away from that hobby and into the museum work: the little parts are hard to see and work on.

I already knew about the farm tractor hobby and had seen the garden tractors at some of the shows I'd been to: Georgetown, OH and Rushville and Brookville, IN and thought about that, but didn't do anything with it because I was living in a 2 bedroom ranch with no garage in a Cincinnati neighborhood.

Then it hit me like a bolt out of the blue when a friend of a friend needed help mowing his lawn. He had 2 Wheelhorse tractors: a Commando 8 and a rear engine 8-32 that I ran to mow his backyard while my friend Ed mowed the front with a push mower. I bought the Commando from Jim in 2012 and went on from there. :wave:

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#287 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 04:24 AM

Born into it, grew with me as i got older.

Engines

Tractors

Horse drawn

Tools

Garden tools

Manuals

Books

Photos

Housewere

Kitchenwere

Military

Bags

Clothing

God know what else.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#288 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:50 AM

My neighbor got the ball rolling on my obsession.  I should send him a bill!  He had an old Allis B-10 he had bought for the tiller.  Real long story short, he found another tiller and I asked if I could buy the old one from him since I had already bought the tractor a while earlier.  Well, Its like this... life doesn't get any better than having a hobby like this!  We got real lucky and found a widow not far from us whose husband had quite the extensive collection of garden tractor.  She wanted to get rid of a few since they were located on another property and she wasn't sure what would happen to them if they were not moved. Ended up getting three more b-10's from here, along with a snow blade, a couple of mower decks, and a snowblower, among other random parts.  I was into collecting the large Allis stuff, particularly CA equipment and the like, but I like my garden tractors a little more...not to mention I can get a lot more in the shed!  And with this hobby, I can spread out an get other brands, like Page, Economy, PowerKing, AMF, MF, etc.   I see no end in sight and that's the way it should be! 

• nra1ifer, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#289 Jacksdad OFFLINE  

Jacksdad
  • Member No: 48188
  • 17 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 12:27 AM

I work in the construction industry. I found myself laid off in the fall of 2012 till mid summer of 2013. I had no luck finding steady work. I would find the occasional odd job on craigslist.  I would fish bass tournaments with my brother in law every spring. This particular weekend in March it snowed. A lot. At the lake we only had a couple inches. At home we got 20 inches. The cell reception isn't to good at the lake, thus I was unable to check in with the "boss" (not always a bad thing). So I had no idea. She had to shovel the drive way. I was raised in such a manner that women shouldn't have to do such manual labor. Old fashioned perhaps. I returned home and felt bad for her. I convinced her that we needed a garden tractor with a plow. I would show her how to use it in case this happens again. I  remembered seeing a bunch of them on cl. Some new. Some older. I refused to keep up with the Jones's. Mine had to be unique. I bought a retired puller from a guy "who had to many" according to his kids. It is a 1974 Massey Ferguson mf 12 G. It needed very little as far as restoration. A little paint, carb rebuild,etc. A few months later I tracked down a snow blade. Now I am on a quest to locate or build all of the Massey attachments. I have since compiled a modest list of tractors I would like to restore. I have inspired my friends and coworkers in my newfound hobby. 

Edited by Jacksdad, January 26, 2014 - 12:29 AM.

• MH81 and SamMC have said thanks

#290 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have always been a tinkerer, if it runs I want to get it running!!! and use it.  When me and my wife were first dating she convinced me to go tag sale hunting,,,, little did she know.   One of the places we stopped I met a little old man who was retired and getting rid of all the old clutter around, I was there waiting for my girl (now wife ) to look thru the sale and saw the guy struggling to get a tiller out of the garage, went over to help him and saw it,,,, 68 allis chalmers b-10 not in very good shape but all there.  in the end I get two of the old tractor from him and an old Honda cb160, still have the tractors along with about 4 others and a pile of parts and attachment's.

Funny thing is, after that the wife really does not ask me to go tag sale shopping with her anymore, huh wonder why.

A few years ago my father was diagnosed with cancer, we have always been very close. he loved the old tractors but never had the cash to keep one, so I got him one and we use it daily.  we now go around looking for old tractors to fix and re-sell, these things are great and they keep my father with  positive outlook.  I would not have it any other way.

Even now me and dad are getting my daughter and neffew there own machines to use at the fair and tractor shows.

• MH81, KennyP, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#291 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I can't remember if I posted this yet but if not here it is. When I was young I was never baby sat I would always stay at my grandparent's house. Well their house was where my uncle and my dad stored their gts and so there was like 40 gts all over the place along with the related things like parts, attachments, etc. every single one except for probably about 5 or so were either Simplicity or Allis Chalmers and the other five was either John Deere or Cub Cadet. I would always follow my grandpa around outside and help him do different jobs and I wanted to be exactly like him and I would walk in his tracks in the snow and wear his gloves and hats all the time. Then I was always seeing all these tractors and I didn't understand what they were for. At tractor shows I would ride around in the AC lawn cart behind my mother's Bumble Bee B-10. One year my dad bought me an Allis 314 Hydrostatic at an auction because it went cheap. He got a friend of his to get it running and it puzzled me so much how they worked. Then I started to learn about them and even put an air horn on my 314H! It really gets people's attention at tractor shows. Then a couple of months ago a man said that a lady he knew had a Simplicity for sale so we called her to check it out. When we got there it was a Jacobsen Chief 800 and it was missing the clutch assembly and the seat was soaked with cat piss. The tractor came with a snow blade and a 36" steel mower deck. Since it wasn't an Allis or a Simplicity my dad wasn't interested so I knew that this was the chance I needed so I asked her how much she wanted for it and she said $50 and I had to think about this a little bit( keep in mind I only get around $100 a year). Well I ended up getting it and the missing parts were with the snow blade in the corner and another Jacobsen Chief 100A that she had and I thanked her and we were on our way. The next day way Father's Day and my dad got a call from her and he wouldn't me what it was abput and so he told me that we would show my mother what the place looked like and when we got there my father got out and got back in the truck with $50. He said that the lady had called and that she wanted to give the money back to us because her deceased husband would of did the same. I worked like crazy on that bugger and finally got it functional. I now have a Jacobsen Chief 1000 and several attachments and literature. If it wasn't for her I may have taken longer to start collecting garden tractors and for that I thank her.

Edited by Tommy Williamson, February 19, 2014 - 10:35 AM.

• MH81 and Jacksdad have said thanks

#292 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 04:22 PM

My son got me into the hobby. He was about 12 years old and very interested in mechanics. So we got a lawn mower from a friend with a bad motor. We bought a replacement motor and my son replaced him self with out any help, then we painted it the tractor black. We cut grass with it for a number of years. It was a Jacobsen LXT 11. Then he made a go cart out of a Murray lawn mower. He cut the body to lower it and put in a push mower 3 1/2 hp engine.  We had to make a weight for it so it would run because of no cutting blade for the weight. It ran great and he had a lot of fun with it in the mud and snow. Then we started buying more tractors and fixing them up. We now have 12 tractors and some parts tractors. He is now 24 years old and is a red seal mechanic at Fair Ilse Ford in Charlottetown PEI. He is not as active in the hobby as he once was, and nether am I. Just maintaining what we have. Would still like to get a Cub Cadet, Case and a Allis Chalmers some day. Noel  

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 012.jpg

• MH81, trowel, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#293 retired and broke OFFLINE  

retired and broke
  • Member No: 55476
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I was to lazy to use a push mower! 

#294 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 04:17 PM

welcome to GTT, Dicky! This will be the right place here for a guy like you!

#295 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I grew up on a farm and we collect big antique tractors. So I started doing lawn tractor pulling when I was about 4 years old. Now I just seem to keep growing my collection of garden tractors as I always had my old Bolens from pulling but have recently got more into the hobby as I realize how much fun they are as well as how much cheaper and easier they are to haul to shows than my big ones (at least until you get addicted and fill your whole garage with them :D ).

So far:

1970 Bolens 1253

1970 Jacobsen LT 750 Chief (still mowes my lawn)

1964 Rugg 5044

1969 Rugg 5088

1963 Montgomery Ward Powr Kraft

I have a line on a few Massey Ferguson 10's that need restoration that I hope to add to the collection soon! Just can't stop myself now that I'm hooked. I just keep telling my wife there are worse things that people are addicted to!

• MH81, Newpaws493 and propane1 have said thanks

#296 HoosierGrass75 OFFLINE  

HoosierGrass75
  • Member No: 10447
  • 10 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I've always loved tractors. I sold my last big tractor a few years back. I got into garden tractors because it was a reasonable hobby. Doesn't cost as much as bigger tractors and they take up less room in the barn. Right now I've got a 1958 T65 Copar Panzer, a 1964 Jacobsen Chief with snowblower and a 1988 John Deere 430. I love all makes and models, looking to add a Wheel Horse to my collection soon.
  • MH81 said thank you

#297 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 11:20 PM

I don't know if I posted in this or not..

I was always obsessed with tractors as a kid. Our first garden tractor was a 1974 cub 128.

Then we started getting more...we have been restoring and working on classic garden tractors for about 20 years.

Before that we kept our junk running.
  • MH81 said thank you

#298 retired and broke OFFLINE  

retired and broke
  • Member No: 55476
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I really don't have an interest in old garden tractors, but a new tractor is out of the question. So I have learned to love my old poulan pro and my JD314. I have to get the wheels turning on one of them as my lawn is nearly as tall as an elephant butt and God forbid the old woman would allow me money to hire it mowed.  I just hope I can keep one of them running until I die and then I'm going to have them push it in the grave with me and then I'm going to ride it all over hell.

#299 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 04:01 PM

My addiction started when I moved from a city lot in a bad neighborhood, to a 3 acre lot in the country that is mostly lawn . After years of weed whacking my 2 sq ft lawn with all the neighbors watching me from their window , I was glad to be outside . The new place came with a craftsman mower . I now love to mow and enjoy being outside . I thought one day that I should have a back up mower just in case the craftsman died . I started looking and can't stop . I now have four GT's,the bolens 1886 is my pride and joy . Does the addiction ever end?
  • MH81 said thank you

#300 Stovepoker OFFLINE  

Stovepoker
  • Member No: 59976
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:11 PM

In my neighborhood small tractors were almost nonexistent.  We kids were expected to do our share of hoeing and cultivating, mostly by hand.  I chanced upon an old walk-behind that would do these chores, and 60+ years later I'm still using walk-behind tractors.

• MH81 said thank you