Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#16 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 08:03 PM

I blame Dad for my affliction. He was always working on, buying and selling GTs... and I was always hanging around the garage. I am probably around 4 yrs old in this pic. I basically grew up on this Wheel Horse, and literally drove the tires off it.
Posted Image
  • Craig., Huskyfan, Oldford and 2 others have said thanks

#17 bantam r us OFFLINE  

bantam r us

• Member No: 417
  • 46 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:28 PM

My boyfriend is in to garden tractors, and we took a weekend trip to Ohio to pick up a Panzer and to check out the garden tractor show in Sugarcreek. Well I was watching this big boy clean off his little tractor, start it and take off. The tractor was so cute. So I turned to my Boyfriend and said "if you want me to get in to tractors with you I want that one," and pointed to the Bantam Tractor. I now have about about 17 Bantams and wildcats. So I guess I have to thank my boyfriend for getting me hooked and buying my first tractor.
  • Craig., Huskyfan, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:41 PM

My boyfriend is in to garden tractors, and we took a weekend trip to Ohio to pick up a Panzer and to check out the garden tractor show in Sugarcreek. Well I was watching this big boy clean off his little tractor, start it and take off. The tractor was so cute. So I turned to my Boyfriend and said "if you want me to get in to tractors with you I want that one," and pointed to the Bantam Tractor. I now have about about 17 Bantams and wildcats. So I guess I have to thank my boyfriend for getting me hooked and buying my first tractor.

LOL that's awesome. Guess ya caught the bug huh?
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:43 PM

I blame Dad for my affliction. He was always working on, buying and selling GTs... and I was always hanging around the garage. I am probably around 4 yrs old in this pic. I basically grew up on this Wheel Horse, and literally drove the tires off it.
Posted Image

That's a great pic, nothing like old pics for the memories
  • Huskyfan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 06, 2010 - 04:30 AM

nothing like old pics for the memories

I agree,

#21 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 06, 2010 - 07:57 PM

AcreFarm... that's a great picture. What model W.H. is that? Looks like a 953 or 1054 maybe?

#22 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted July 06, 2010 - 08:16 PM

That's a 1054. Around that time my dad added a block of wood to the clutch so I could drive it... and drive it I did! We still have most of this tractor; one day I'll drive it again, and my smile will probably be just as big as it was back then :D

As for the old pics... I agree, I love 'em. Here's another out of my albums, this is one of the first times I was ever on any kind of powered equipment... a Hahn Eclipse.

Posted Image
  • Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 07:17 PM

It all started the when Dad let me mow with the Sears Custom 6. Coolest thing I'd done. (edit: we still have it sitting in a shed, 2nd motor's shot... lota miles on that rig) Couple years later I was mowing and the muffler rattled off. Remembered where it was, next round I timed it just right, leaned, scooped it up, and dropped it. Man that was hot... palm still stiffer 30 yrs later. Next love was the MF Executive 8. I really wish I had it now. Now my son is getting into it and I couldn't be happier to be dragged along. For now tho, here's my playmate with it's attachments. Posted Image

Edited by MH81, November 25, 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#24 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Having grown up on a farm I was driving tractors when I was 8 years old, a Ford 9N was the first one. Even though I left the farm when I was 19 I still have had tractors in my blood. 20 years ago a friend of mine told me that he had an old wheelhorse garden tractor he wanted to get rid of and that if I wanted it to come get it out of his pine trees. When I got there I found a 753 wheelhorse under a tarp covered in pine needles. I got it home and had it running in a short time. It looked pretty rough but ran well so I decided to tear it down and repaint it. After getting it back together I had a lot of fun using it and built a dozer blade for it as well. Then I was offered a sears garden tractor and after working on it I guess the garden tractor bug bit me and I started to look for a couple more tractors. I never got stuck on a single make or model tractor, I was stuck in the 1960's vintage. I now have 37 garden tractors , not all of them run yet but I do enjoy working on them, modifying some, restoring others.
It has been a fun hobby that I am lucky enough to have a wife that shares the hobby with me. We go to shows together and she can hold her own in talking tractors.

#25 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Well, I've been wanting to reply to this thread, since it was first posted, but I really couldn't find words to explain why I have an "itch" for Garden Tractors. I figured I would wait, read some of the other replies, and maybe it would help me to write the words. I'm still not sure, but here it goes...

As far as the tractors go... all I can say is I love reading about, looking at, driving, or working on them. I don't have a particular brand that I fancy more than others, but I am partial to older models.

As far as the collecting... well, you are all to blame for that, because you allowed me to take my love for GT's "out of the "closet" and made me realize that it was okay to be a "tractor nut" :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bill
  • Craig. said thank you

#26 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 11:33 PM

Back in the mid to late 1990s I was working for a billboard company. The bosshole was tighter than bark on a tree and wouldn't spend any money on equipment. His idea of a weed cutter was a corn knife. We were always swinging those knives and I got the bright idea that a cheap lightweight walk behind brush saw or garden tractor with sickle could be lifted into the company pickup by a couple of guys and taken with us during the growing season. The first auction I went to had two lightweight walkbehinds that were rough to say the least. I figured ten bucks ought to buy either of them and I should be able to get at least one running. I bid both to $45 each and they sold for $50 each. Not crazy high but they weren't anything special and I decided to look elsewhere.
My plans were expedited one day when I missed the sappling I was aiming at and my shin was used to stop the forward motion of the knife. :mad2: I decided I would buy the next brush saw I found! :wallbanging:
The next opportunity down the pike was an auction with "two Gravely walk behinds and several attachments" listed. I went to the auction and bought everything in one lot. The Gravelys cost a lot more than the previous auctions mowers!! :wallbanging: The only other bidder was the brother of the deceased seller. That let me know these garden tractors were appreciated. My dad was at the auction too and he laughed at me saying "you think two guys are going to pick that up and set it in a pickup?" I haden't even thought of that and of how much a Gravely weighs. Heck, I had never even heard of a Gravely!!
Luckily, my pickup had a liftgate and loading was easy. One tractor was parts only and the co-bidder said the other would run. That evening I started the Gravely and realized this was not what I needed, but it sure was kewell!! :bounce:
A month later, I quit that job, but I was hooked on garden tractors and in the next ten years I acquired right at 100 garden tractors. Gravelys are still my favorite.
  • Craig. and scooter12 have said thanks

#27 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 07:19 AM

I got started by finally moving to a house that had more than a city-size lot. The house came with an abandoned Cub Cadet 582 Special which started me researching what could be a "project." I haven't had a chance to do much with it (also found that it has the Peerless 2300 which I think is were the problem lies), and in the meantime bought a used Toro Wheel Horse 518xi as the working tractor. In the service, I was trained as an Engineman and after that an HVAC mechanic. I always have enjoyed mechanical things.

John
  • Craig. said thank you

#28 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 14, 2010 - 06:36 AM

Always been an engine and machinery guy, One grandfather had a Novo hit n miss with a buzz saw that he fired up every fall for the winter's firewood, first thing I ever drove with a motor was his model A doodlebug. Can't find the doodlebug but after many years of sitting in the far corner of the old homestead and then a trip outside the family I have THAT Novo back and almost ready to run!! Fast forward a "few" years, started collecting and showing old engines, mostly air cooled. Saw folks showing and riding around the shows on old garden tractors and "butt buggies" and thought hey what a great way to have the engines doing something FUN. Entered the world of on-line forums and saw what was going on and here I am hooked. I do not have a lot of space or yard to justify having a lot, but have a couple, access to some more and here I am "havin' fun in NH":D
Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.....
Peter
  • Craig. and scooter12 have said thanks

#29 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 17, 2010 - 10:54 AM

A friend of mines Step father passed. My buddy asked if i wanted the little GT. I never owned one and figured I would help him out, so i ponied up the cash. I got a sears suburban 12 with a few goodies. I got it home and hooked up the jumper cables to see if it would turn over. To my suprise it fired right up and I went for a spin. A few months pass and I find all kinds of uses for it. Then I start a garden, I mean I have to have a garden now that i have a GT right. Since that day I have been cruising CL and Ebay looking for the next great deal.
  • Craig., Huskyfan and scooter12 have said thanks

#30 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Like some others, I grew up farming (strictly John Deere). I used to have two "two-cylinders", 58-520 & the 58-720D ES that I grew up on. They were not "restored", but cleaned up good enough for local tractor shows;

TRACTOR SHOWS 2006 013a.jpg

The 69-140 came along when I was looking for a JD garden tractor to drive around at shows & use at home. At the time I had a "who-knows-what" brand tractor type rider that I mowed with, but it didn't compare to the JD!

Later, I decided I wanted a (16') "trailer load" of JD garden tractors for shows. Ended up with more than I can haul! :D Now I'm back down to 5 garden tractors plus assorted attachments (including 7 JD lawn carts, a 2004 JD 790w/loader, & a JD F525 to mow the yard!

GARDEN TRACTORS II 052 (Custom).jpg

grnspot110 :wave:
  • Craig. said thank you